Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Infocus W340 DLP has a dark bar down right side of screen...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Infocus W340 DLP has a dark bar down right side of screen... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone, ive got an Infocus DLP here, model W340, with a dark bar down the side of the screen ( right side ) Just looks like its dark, can still just see the pic there, its like the brightness and contrast are set way down in that area.

What is the usual cause of something like this?? Is it possible to repair it?

Its got 3,800 hours on the clock, and its a near new bulb ( which has been tested in another Infocus, problem did not follow the bulb. )
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-Work_Big_IN34.htm
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further update, i dont think its a dark patch on the side, i think its a bright patch on the rest of the screen, brightness on zero and the black levels are like someone is shining a torch at the screen...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the issue... There is a box section mirror from the colour wheel to the first lens, and the glue has let go on it.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The throw distance on this thing is f***en pathetic...
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's somewhat common on DLP's. It's called the light tunnel. Just glue it back in place. I have had 100% success rate. Other techs have said they were not able to get it back in place but I could never figure out why. It's not that difficult. Just remember your fairly close to the lamp so it gets pretty hot. So use a high heat glue. I usually use an epoxy. Use a Q tip to move it around from the inside. It wont smudge or scratch the mirror surface. Also make sure you put some epoxy on the backs of the other 3 mirrors at the cage points. They are surely ready to fall out by now if they don't already while your trying to get the one in place.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mate all 4 pieces had lost their glue, it had partially collapsed. Looking at it i thought about gluing it back together and putting it back in, so now that you say its worked well for you ill give it a shot.

There is two thin and two wider pieces, then the assembly sits there and has a tin plate piece holding it there.

I actually took it out and fired it up and it was ok without it, but way outside the picture there is a low brightness ring. How much advantage is it to have it back in there?

Thanks for the reply Macgyver Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: