Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Portable laser projector... Very cool.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
garyfritz wrote:
That Brightside tech sounds awesome, but -- that review was written 2.5 yrs ago. After drooling all over the display, they said "we could see this technology incorporated into enthusiast-level displays by the end of 2006 or sometime in 2007." I dunno about you, but I haven't seen any HDR displays on the market yet... Dolby bought out Brightside a year ago. Where are the products?

Expect to pay a pretty penny. Wink

http://www.sim2.com/news_.php?id_news=92&name=Grand%20Cinema%20HT&id_pr=130&cont=4&colore=FFFFFF&name_p=HT380&menu=menu_press_room.htm
Scanline

TV/Projector: CTC-16 , Novabeam 100 , KV34XBR910 , XG85 , 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a SHOWWX+ today, couldn't hold back the curiosity: )
Leo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, can't believe it's been almost 3 years. I thought I'd give an update. Microvision experienced several delays--and continues to do so--in releasing their laser projectors. This was mainly due to the cost and availability of the frequency doubled green lasers. Around first quarter of 2012, Microvision will be using the new diode direct green lasers that are set to revolutionize not just pico projectors but also home theater projectors as lumen output increases. Pioneer is working with Microvision to design an even smaller light engine that Pioneer will be using in their automobile heads up display. The new projector will be 720p resolution as compared to the current 480p module.

I've owned both the original ShowWX and ShowWX+. I can't really recommend the original ShowWX, it's fine if you just want something cheaper to play with, but the image quality is so much better with the newer ShowWX+ it's hard to justify the older model.

So this will only focus on the newer ShowWX+. First off, it's almost surreal when you first pick up the projector, it's about the same size as any smartphone, a little bit thicker, but if you've owned a crt projector or even a digital, this thing is just shockingly lightweight.

The colors on the ShowWX+ are excellent. The original ShowWX had too much red, and this was very visible in skin tones and faces, with everyone looking like they were blushing. The ShowWX+ has fixed this with the colors being pretty balanced, and although I didn't measure anything, by eye, the color temp is much closer to 6500k. Nothing can really prepare you for the POP and saturation that lasers produce. Greens and reds in particular are very intense.

As for blacks, this is probably as close to CRT as it gets, even exceeding it Smile When no light is called for, the lasers shut off, either for the whole image, or just a part of it. Now, there is no "lens" per say. There is however, an "exit window" which I believe is producing a very, very minor halo around a white mouse cursor on a completely black background. This would look familiar to anyone that's owned a non-LC CRT projector.
Ansi contrast seems very high as well, lots of pop to the image, similar to DLP or even Plasma, the simultaneous contrast on this thing is way higher than CRT...no question. And understandably so, as there is no lens to generate light scatter, just raw light painting an image.
Also, and this is a minor quibble, but if you are viewing a completely black image, you will notice a flickering, greenish line 1 or 2 pixels high on either the very top or bottom of the image. From what I understand, because there is some warm-up time required of the green laser, it has to be kept on all the time, so there is a faint line present.

One thing that annoyed me with the original ShowWX, was that objects moving on screen had a little jitter or jerkiness. I'm happy to say the new ShowWX+ has fixed this issue, moving objects and test patterns now move smoothly and fluidly.

Like CRT, the image isn't composed of pixels, but rather "spots" of light that blend naturally with one another. Displaying a 1x1 pixel checkerboard pattern, the ShowWX+ was able to fully resolve a 480p image. The image has an analog and film-like appearance, like CRT, with the exception of speckle which is addressed below.

As for resolution, the 480p can produce a very nice, smooth image up to 60" or so. As you go bigger, the image will get a bit softer, but it's a film-like quality, so very forgiving. Because this uses lasers, the image is always in focus, even up to 150" wide, which I checked out just for fun.
There are a couple catches though, Microvision appears to have chosen to conceal scan-lines by shifting the image up and down. This works great for still images, but for movies/tv, it's easy for your eyes to see the scan lines rolling, especially when there is a lot of movement like an action scene or car chase. A guy on laserpointerforums recorded this effect with his camera:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/testing-microvision-showwx-axaa-l1-laser-pico-projectors-51970-2.html#post738140

Honestly I would prefer 480p with some visible scan lines, I had a Dwin HDP 500 CRT and your eyes tend to filter them out pretty easily, however the scan line moving around on the Microvision projector can be distracting. I'm hoping with the new 720p projector they get rid of this "trick".

The other issue is speckle/sparkle produced by the lasers. I'm pretty sensitive to visual artifacts such as rainbow effect on DLP, and the visual speckle from the Microvision projectors makes the image unwatchable for me. If you've ever seen a laser pointer or laser level, you'll notice tiny dots that cover the light, and move any time you move your eyes or head. Speckle occurs as a result of laser light being coherent. The photons are all traveling like a marching band, in sync, same frequency, same timing. But when these coherent photons strike an imperfect surface like a screen or wall, they tend to get divided into groups, some brighter, some darker. The result is every pixel becomes divided into dots of varying luminous intensity. The entire image now is covered in these dots producing a specific speckle pattern.

There are mechanical solutions to this, and one is to move your screen surface fast enough that each time the photons hit the surface, they strike different surface patterns, and as a result generate a constantly varying speckle pattern. Because are eyes can't track every speckle pattern, they just average out all the speckle patterns, which averages the luminous intensity of all the speckle dots, and what we see is an image without speckle.

For anyone interested, you can pick up a pair of Dayton Audio DAEX25 Sound Exciter (transducers...like buttkickers) and attach them to a *flexible* screen surface. Then connect an amp sending a 40hz sine wave (which you can generate with the free Audacity program). The transducers will send waves through the screen material, which will move the screen enough to vary the surface patterns. Doing this produced a speckle free image, allowing me to actually enjoy watching the image the Microvision laser projector produces.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that laser light can be brighter than lamp based light at the same measured lumens. This is true, however, it's not THAT much brighter. The ShowWX and ShowWX+ are 10 and 15 lumen projectors. The cones in the human eye are more sensitive to specific wavelengths of light than others. Lasers can generate these wavelengths, and the result is that our visual system registers a stronger signal from laser light than it does a lamp based light, with the same lumens. However, from my own experience this effect is mainly with brightly colored content, like animation. It doesn't seem that much brighter either, maybe 5-10 lumens more, but I might be wrong.

There are limitations on how bright the lasers can be and meet safety requirements. One approach Microvision may take in the future once laser output increases, is to use a proximity detector and turn off the lasers if an object/person is to close.

For overall image quality and useability, it depends a lot on how sensitive you are to speckle. Some people don't seem to be as bothered by it. I'm not one of them, and that's why I made a simple vibrating screen to eliminate the speckle. As for brightness, these really do pair nicely with smart phones, where you can project a bright 20" image for gaming, web surfing, or watching movies via netflix, etc. In a dark room at 60" wide, animation (because it's often created/rendered at brighter levels) is totally watchable, where as live action content is going to vary a lot based on the levels it was shot at.

In 2012, Microvision's 720p, 15 lumen direct green laser projector will be available. Pioneer's aftermarket automobile HUD will be using it. And supposedly, direct green lasers may have less speckle...so I'm crossing my fingers. What I'd like to do is a stack of 3 or 4 projectors and a high gain screen, for about 90+ lumens. Smile
larryk

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes what a difference 3 years can make. The laser projection revolution is now part of the "Red" revolution with respect to both digital camera technology, distribution, and display technology.
Red has released their 5K Epic and Scarlet digital cinema cameras which are quickly taking over the Major 3D and even 2D cinema production. The camera shoots in 5K raw format and is amazing when projected with a 4K projector or even down rez'ed to 2K. They have also developed the Red Ray which is a distribution technology and will allow 4K and 2k download and streaming video at speeds of 20Mb per second and less with big screen picture quality. The Projector that they will be releasing, likely at the next NAB will be a 4K scanning laser projector for both home use, at under $10,000.00 and for commercial cinema. The only difference between the two being the lumen output. With respect to projection, this I see as the turning point to where it makes sense to move away from CRT projection with the laser having CRT or better contrast, faster refresh rates, and light source lasting 20,000 to 30,000 hours. An exciting time to be a filmmaker and theatre buff.
you can check out some links here

some films and shows shot on RED cameras
http://www.red.com/experience

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?63715-RED-Projector

http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?40-RED-RAY
Larry
quixlor

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: surface exciter screen Reply with quote

What material did you use to make your screen with the surface exciters? How far apart did you place them? I'd also like to make one for myself, and was wondering about the details.
Leo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: surface exciter screen Reply with quote

quixlor wrote:
What material did you use to make your screen with the surface exciters? How far apart did you place them? I'd also like to make one for myself, and was wondering about the details.

Parts:

Screen
Transducer http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-375
Amplifier/Receiver http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380&utm_source=googleps
MP3 player or Computer

1. The most important quality of the screen material is that it needs to be flexible. When the transducers move, the screen needs to undulate or become like the waves or ripples on water. This ideally moves every point (and surface pattern) on the screen constantly, creating a varying speckle pattern that is too fast for the brain to detect, so the brain just averages out the speckle to 0 or a minimum. I used 3 sheets of construction paper/poster board taped together from Hobby Lobby. This worked fine for experimenting, but for the best image quality, any flexible projection screen material would work even better.

The transducers I used were the inexpensive Dayton Audio DAEX25 Sound Exciter

2. The 2 transducers are spaced about 30" apart, both toward the center, at the very top of the screen. I have no idea what works best here as far as placement, you might experiment and find a better location. When the screen is vibrating,the majority of speckle is gone, there are a couple small areas of speckle, small enough to be ignored unless you are looking for them. The screen material is also a factor here. So you'll just have to experiment with the transducer placement to get the best coverage.

3. Keep in mind the above transducers stick to your projection surface with an adhesive tape, so if you need to remove the transducer from the screen in the future, it may peel/tear the screen, depending on what your screen is made of!!

If you want to reuse the transducer on a different screen in the future you'll probably need new adhesive pads. I use 3M Command Strip adhesive strips that work pretty well. These can be found at any hardware store as well as Walmart.

4. On the back side of the transducer, I would recommend attaching some shock absorbing material, like a piece of polyfoam (which you can get from Hobby Lobby or Joannes), thick fabric, or a piece of non-stick shelf liner. This will keep the transducer from vibrating against the wall. If the screen material is strong enough, you can probably just attach the transducers directly to the screen and let them hang freely. If not, or you want to maximize transducer output, you'll need to attach them to some other mounting surface as well.

The last trick is to put a couple pieces of painters tape/etc on the speaker wires hanging next the wall so they don't make contact with any vibrating surfaces.

You can download Audacity for free: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Then select generate_test tone:
Sine Wave
Freq (40-50hz works pretty well)
time: I chose 6 HOURS Smile but 30-60 min is fine, just make sure your mp3 player or audio device is set to repeat track
You can play the file from Audacity or convert it to an mp3 for other devices
Just select File_export to mp3

That pretty much covers it. You can get an idea what the image will look like without speckle by simply moving a sheet of paper in front of the projector. Hope that helps. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: