Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Hitachi 57F500A blurry picture
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Hitachi 57F500A blurry picture Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
hey guys, im new to the site sorry for creating the account and asking a question right off the bat through. I have a Hitachi 57F500A 57" rear projection tv. The picture is blurry, and i cant get it to focus. I have done magic focus and removed the front cover and adjusted the manual focus knobs this fixed the problem the first couple of times however there is no more adjustment left in the knobs. Thats where im stuck at i dont know what to do after that. i dont know if i need new IC chips or if there is a quick easy fix for this. Thanks for any help. ill get pictures tomorrow evening if you want them
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely need a pix. Is each color out of focus, or do the colors not align on top of each other? THe first problem is an issue with the focus or high voltage going to the tubes, the second is a convergence issue. We need to find out which of the two problems you have.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,
I had a Hitachi 51" for 12+ years and got to know it kinda-sorta well. Here's a couple questions for you to post the answers to so people have more of an idea what you've already done and what you're seeing:

Are ALL colors out of focus?

Did you look into the lenses with a flashilight to see if it's a glycol mold problem?

Have you noticed anything 'wet' on the chassis board underneath the tubes?

Have you cleaned all socketed chips, cables, board segment pins/connectors and all connectors in general?

Before you adjusted the focus maually (bad idea by the way unless you replaced all three tubes), did you notice the set wasn't as bright as it used to be?

Have you had any other service performed on the set recently?

Have you removed the chassis and benched it to do a thorough inspection?

Have you taken soldering iron in hand and reflowed the solder on each and every solder joint? (I recommend drawing a 'grig' on the non component side and working your way through it as opposed to just willy-nilly soldering)

Are all the colors converged correctly? (A white line is composed of all three colors...do you see any color outside the line or crosshatch? (Green tube is fixed and not moveable side to side...blue and green can be 'swung' side to side via mechanical adjustment to converge on top of the fixed green tube)

I gave up on my 12+ year old Hitachi...it was just good money and time after a bad cause. There are a TON of broken Samsung LCD/Plasma's out there from their 2006-2010 mass failure days that with very little money (if you're handy with a soldering iron) that can be fixed to bring you into the 21st century. That's the leap I took anyway.

Good luck!

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the crappy pic its my camera phone. but its very blury especially around the edges. there is a slight blue shadow of all the lettering. i have had nothing done and have done nothing nor do i know how to do anything other than what i did to projection tvs. i got this tv for free 3 months ago. here is the pic if it wont link ill post a direct link to the photo

acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said I don't know much about these tvs. Do I maybe need to change the coollant? I only wanna make this thing last for another month or so till I can afford the new samsung smart tv
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now post a pix of the manual focus knobs that you adjusted.
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get the pic when I get home but there were 6 knobs 3 were screendrive in red blue and green to adjust the color on the screen the other 3 were red blue and green focus knobs these when adjust before made the screen perfect but they are now adjusted to their max
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you have a focus voltage problem. You're dealing with 5000 volts + here, and you most likely will need parts. I'd give up on it at this point. You could have a bad flyback, a bad focus block, a bad control block, or a bad CRT socket. Guaranteed that Hitachi won't have parts for this at this point, so unless you can find a second identical set to rob parts from, I'd say you're out of luck at this point.
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thatnks for the help man. Looks like ill be setting my projector and screen up in the living room for a while
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And THAT, my friend, is EXACTLY how it should be! Razz
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know but that means I gotta pull it outta my man cave lol
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad your not more electronically inclined. I could give you some things to check. But based on your posts I wouldn't want you putting your hands in there. That is really a great tv. Where are you located?
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually an electronics engineering student I'm just not familiar with these systems or how they work at all. If you know what needs to be done with a little instruction I can do it. I also have all the tools to do it. I'm located in pennsylvania about 45 miles east of pittsburgh
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That puts you at somewhere around Johnstown?

I would like to see some pics of the grid pattern with each individual color.
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in blairsville pa. I will get the grid photos
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want the photos from the grid I can get from the tv menu or the one u get when pushing the button on the convergence board
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acezeesawtooth wrote:
Do you want the photos from the grid I can get from the tv menu or the one u get when pushing the button on the convergence board

Conv board. Cycle through the colors and give me a pic of each color grid by itself.
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are the manual focus knobs i used

here are the pics of the grids first blue then red. yes they really look like that its not just the photos

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to see just the red and green. your red looks like it still has blue in it. Are you turning the colors off and on with the info, 0 and ant buttons?
acezeesawtooth

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here are the new pics. the first is after the ant button is pushed the center line is flashing yellow then blue

this one is with the 0 button pushed. center line is flashing blue then red

this one is with the info button pushed the center line is flashing pink then green

in every instance there is always a blue shadow of the grid lines especially in the center then it gets to blurry to tell by the edges
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: