Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Picture tearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Picture tearing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have an El Cheapo htpc config made from old pc parts (AMD sempron@1950MHz, ATI Radeon 9000 vga) but I usually watch ripped videos from the HDD up to 720P and it is just working fine for me except one thing. My main setup resolution is 720P@71.938Hz, but even with a matching fps movie the frame is always tearing, and there is no real difference between a 71.938 and a 25fps movie on that setup they all look the same, also I have an another setup for 4:3 movies (600p@75Hz) and it's also tearing with 25fps source. I tried to tweak different media players (now I have MPC and VLC installed) but they are behaving the same from this point of view.
Am I missed something? How can I solve this problem?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much ram and which OS?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 512MB, and Win XP SP3 Smile
As I saw the media player progs only using around 50-60megs of the system ram, the task manager lists over 300megs of free memory all the time during film watching, do you think this could be problem?
Watching DVD movies from DVD also doesn't work... however I was able to watch DVD on my ooold p2 pc with only 64 MB of ram -it was win 98 though Smile

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Only 512MB, and Win XP SP3 Smile
As I saw the media player progs only using around 50-60megs of the system ram, the task manager lists over 300megs of free memory all the time during film watching, do you think this could be problem?
Watching DVD movies from DVD also doesn't work... however I was able to watch DVD on my ooold p2 pc with only 64 MB of ram -it was win 98 though Smile

Now you're speaking my language Smile

What video driver version?

How much RAM on that 9000 card?

I know the ATi drivers wouldn't let me up-scale DVD until I added ANY DVD to the PC. That was over component though. It would ask me to change my resolution from 1080i to 800x600 or 640x480 Rolling Eyes

I didn't think the drivers had that limitation for VGA though.

Maybe see if you can get an ATi 9800 card or an Nvidia 6xxx or 7xxx series card in there?

ATi's old drivers ( c.2005 ish ) were terrible for causing more problems than they solved. I once "upgraded" their drivers and CCC software. The idiots at ATi thought it would be a good idea to disable the analog outputs on the tuner cards, reduce the resolution to 240p and generally F*kc up their customers. When I called them on it they asked which card I had ( AIW 9800 PRO ) that I bought 1 month previous. Their solution? "Ohh that's the old model now you need to upgrade" WTF'inF?

I'd say either the video card can't keep up or the version of the ATi driver you are using is broken.

Have you tried the archived OMEGA drivers? I was about to post a link but the site is currently down. :~

Maybe CNET will have them if you look around. I'd probably try their 7.xx series first for that card. as I recall it was the 8.3ish drivers that caused me to pave my system and start over after the ATi idiots screwed things up.

CRT.

HD done right!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R9000 has 64MB DDR RAM, and I use it with 6.11 catalyst driver, I have never heard of OMEGA drivers, I'll check them. Also I have a (super low-end) Geforce 4MX-440 in the drawer, and a Radeon9550 in my main PC, maybe I'll check them later if is there any difference?
Fredrik

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What may also be worth trying is:

Testing other renderers, so in e.g. MPC by default you have EVR Cust. Pres (may be VMR9 in the case of using XP) but try e.g. VMR9 Renderless.
Turn on Vertical Sync to On in the D3D settings of the video card driver.
Don't have an ATI card but with nVidia it's under Manage 3D Settings->Vertical Synch to Force On.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fredrik, thanks!
That did the trick... actually I did know that the movie playback is connected somehow to the 3D capabilities, but I didn't know that the D3D Vsync has any effect on movies, since you can set the gamma independently for desktop, games, and movies -I thought the Vsync is also separated
thanks again Wink

PS.: in the driver the Vsync was set to "sw controlled", and in MPC the Vsync ctrl was enabled, and didn't work, now I set it to force Vsync in the driver...

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addition: I've tried the omega drivers for my ati, because the original CCC held the startup screen for a minute at least... but since I have the omega drivers I cannot play movies in MPC because every movie is upside down, and mirrored, with VLC everything is ok, any idea?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Addition: I've tried the omega drivers for my ati, because the original CCC held the startup screen for a minute at least... but since I have the omega drivers I cannot play movies in MPC because every movie is upside down, and mirrored, with VLC everything is ok, any idea?

Try right clicking one the upside down video and see if there's an option to make it right.

CRT.

HD done right!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after changing the render mode from 'overlay' to 'VMR-7' the video now is played in the right aligment, BUT subtitles doesn't working, however MPC warns to select VMR-7 or 9 etc, I've choosen it, but always get the warning message, but it is not that big deal...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: