Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

VPL-VW50 Is it even close to CRT??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
garyfritz wrote:
9" ES?? What's that, an Ampro 4000? No, I guess your info says Barco 1101. Didn't know there was such a beastie.

Good ES machines are still entirely watchable. Your 9" ES may be exceptional. But people are comparing digitals against G90s. I don't think even your Barco could compete in that arena. Against an 8500 or G70, *maybe*, but only if it's a whole lot sharper than the ES sets I've seen.

A Barco actually with mostly 808 parts. Like most things if you don't push too hard you can get a Great picture particularly if you spend time finding optimal settings. My point here is that there is value in a good ES pj.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Dave,
Both Crabb and I went to Cedia. I think most of the mid to higher end consumer pjs were on par with CRTs. The expensive digitals I would say definitely have a lot of advantages. CRT still wins in motion and on/off. Have you seen any digital pass the motion resolution test?

I disagree with your on/off assertion. A PROPERLY calibrated non-black crushing CRT will not have an on/off better than the JVC even with gamma mods. People get the really dark blacks by crushing the hell out of black.

And even against non-JVCs, like SC says, are you willing to sacrifice just about every other aspect of image quality for a black crushed deep fade to black? Seems pretty silly.

I will agree on motion, but I will also agree with SC in that many PJs do it quite acceptably for movie watching. I find the DLPs pretty good with motion and I rarely notice any problem watching movies on mine. My local theater uses the Sony 4K LCoS machines. I occasionally notice motion "issues" on those, but not significant enough to really distract from my enjoyment of the movie (which is what it is all about). Which leads me to this:

mp20748 wrote:
Alan Gouger after owning and demoing a bunch of digitals over the years, said to me (and has also posted it on the forum), that digitals are still not there for film quality.

All I can say is that I truly hope digitals never have film "quality". The effective resolution of 35mm film is actually not that high. Film tends to be softer than "reality". And the CR is horrible.

As an experiment, a group of my friends and I went to see the same movie at my local theater (Sony 4K LCoS) machine (the "print" was 2K) and on one of the better presentation theaters near us still using film.

Not one person thought the film presentation was better. All agreed the LCoS presentation was head and shoulders.

I can even throw in the "wife test". My wife and I typically go to the local LCoS theater (an AMC). Well, something was not showing there, so we went to a film-based theater. About 10 minutes into the movie I said to her "notice any difference in the picture quality here vs. 'our AMC'", she responded, "oh yeah, this is much worse, not as clear or nice looking".

I hope to god the quality of presentation in my theater is never as crappy and non-detailed as film!

BTW Mike, Guy Kuo is no slouch with CRT set up and he will disagree with you as he has stated many times, the last and current generation of JVCs beat CRTs in overall image quality.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Since I have gotten my answer (multiple times Smile ) I can say I will only be using the VW50 for my secondary purposes, which is computer, game consoles, and TV.

Sorry to be so direct, but this is a pretty stupid statement. Instead of setting it up in your theater and comparing it on a variety of content with your family (assuming you have one) to see which is preferred and maybe even considering a 2.35:1 screen, you are going to say, sight unseen, that it is inferior. Man, that is some pretty scary "logic". Shocked

Jeremy112 wrote:
When I use my 9PG Xtra or XG1100 to watch a movie or play a video game, the picture is unbeleivable! (A good setup CRT should be Smile )

It is nice, but hardly "unbeleivable" (sic).

Jeremy112 wrote:
In my honest opinion, if anyone is a true hardcore movie lover, or theater enthusiast, a CRT is a must.

This is just silly. I had a Zenith Pro 1200x which is the equal of your XG. It had a very nice image (as locals and former local CRT folks here can attest). But, every single, repeat EVERY SINGLE person that has been in my theater with both set ups has preferred the current set up (except Gary F because single chip DLPs bother him and he never saw the final widescreen set up--only the digital on the CRTs 16:9 screen which didn't look as good as my current screen).

In addition to the better picture, they also very much like watching scope movies on a decently bright 9.5' wide screen, truly gives you the theater experience that a "hardcore movie lover" would crave.

Jeremy112 wrote:
I have gotten compliments of the PQ from my CRTs time and time again saying "Wow that looks so much better than the theater", or how much better it looks than anything they have seen.

Quoting "man on the street" comments like this is just silly. I had a neighbor that used to have an InFocus 4805--have you ever seen how incredibly sh!tty those things look? Well, guess what, everyone told him how awesome his picture looked and that is was the best they had seen and better than the theater blah blah blah. People are impressed by a big screen--period.

Jeremy112 wrote:
CRT is the misunderstood tech of the modern days Smile

It is very well understood by many. Including the great number who have migrated away.

If you like a CRT, that is cool, good for you. 6 years ago, CRT was the great "no-brainer" bargain way to a good picture. But that is not the case anymore. I hate seeing the irrational zeal for it, for fear some newbie gets duped into thinking that by picking up a CRT and dealing with the hassles, he is going to have the best possible picture. The simple fact is, he probably is not going to.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I have asked you before what you are basing your assertion that a CRT has worse on/off than a JVC. If it is William Phelps, then you are way off the mark. I know Darin has taken him to task on that set up. Darin measured a gamma modded G70 at over 100k to 1 on/off. Ken Whitcomb has done the same. When you say it is worse, then I would like to see your proof.

As for motion, that is dependent on the individual. I remember Darin asked me at Infocomm why I liked CRT better than the Projection Digital dlp we were watching (a $20k pj at the time). I replied I couldn't explain it to him, but it was just the way it looked. Later on, I realized that it was motion resolution or lack there of with digitals. It was quite interesting to watch Scott demonstrate the moving car resolution test with VDC's LED dlp. With black insertion off, you cannot read the license plate. With it on, one can easily read it.

Having said this, I should say that my main pj is a Marantz 4001 dlp. I have been watching it for almost a year now. It does have a lot of positive characteristics, but I still see the lack of on/off and motion. There are a lot of times where I would love to be watching one of four 909s, G90 or G70 (in that order:)) for those two attributes. I agree with you that lumens are addictive and I love the Marantz for this. For me at least, I can compensate for this with a Vutec like UHG Torus. On a screen like this, I can get over 20 ft/lmbs on a 45" high screen (either 16x9 or scope). When a lot of the digital pjs start to implement black frame insertion (especially if JVC does it), then CRT will lose one more of its advantages.

Of course having said all of that, unfortunately I would probably sell the four 909s and G90 to first person who offered me $10k for the whole lot. I would then sell the Marantz and pick up a RS40. It looks like I won't be in a position to install a CRT anytime in the near future, so I might be in for digital future whether I like it or not. Embarassed
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

If you like a CRT, that is cool, good for you. 6 years ago, CRT was the great "no-brainer" bargain way to a good picture. But that is not the case anymore. I hate seeing the irrational zeal for it, for fear some newbie gets duped into thinking that by picking up a CRT and dealing with the hassles, he is going to have the best possible picture. The simple fact is, he probably is not going to.

Aside from the uninformed 21st century "newbie" these days, is Ok if the rest of us who are very conscientious of the fact that this is actually CRT forum (for the most part), can we continue to come here without being reminded everyday that there's a newer technology available?

Oh, and so that you'll know. The projectors used at the trade shows are showing specially processed media or movie scenes that will give them that better edge look. And that's not something that's new, they have been doing that for over 20 years at professional shows that I known of. And Sony has always used "special" demo material at their shows and stuff they send to their resellers, to make their crap look better..

When I start back posting on the screenshot thread over at AVS, watch how many views that thread gets each day. Funny thing, the digital folk love watching CRT screenshots..Mr. Green
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
Since I have gotten my answer (multiple times Smile ) I can say I will only be using the VW50 for my secondary purposes, which is computer, game consoles, and TV.

Sorry to be so direct, but this is a pretty stupid statement. Instead of setting it up in your theater and comparing it on a variety of content with your family (assuming you have one) to see which is preferred and maybe even considering a 2.35:1 screen, you are going to say, sight unseen, that it is inferior. Man, that is some pretty scary "logic". Shocked

Jeremy112 wrote:
When I use my 9PG Xtra or XG1100 to watch a movie or play a video game, the picture is unbeleivable! (A good setup CRT should be Smile )

It is nice, but hardly "unbeleivable" (sic).

Jeremy112 wrote:
In my honest opinion, if anyone is a true hardcore movie lover, or theater enthusiast, a CRT is a must.

This is just silly. I had a Zenith Pro 1200x which is the equal of your XG. It had a very nice image (as locals and former local CRT folks here can attest). But, every single, repeat EVERY SINGLE person that has been in my theater with both set ups has preferred the current set up (except Gary F because single chip DLPs bother him and he never saw the final widescreen set up--only the digital on the CRTs 16:9 screen which didn't look as good as my current screen).

In addition to the better picture, they also very much like watching scope movies on a decently bright 9.5' wide screen, truly gives you the theater experience that a "hardcore movie lover" would crave.

Jeremy112 wrote:
I have gotten compliments of the PQ from my CRTs time and time again saying "Wow that looks so much better than the theater", or how much better it looks than anything they have seen.

Quoting "man on the street" comments like this is just silly. I had a neighbor that used to have an InFocus 4805--have you ever seen how incredibly sh!tty those things look? Well, guess what, everyone told him how awesome his picture looked and that is was the best they had seen and better than the theater blah blah blah. People are impressed by a big screen--period.

Jeremy112 wrote:
CRT is the misunderstood tech of the modern days Smile

It is very well understood by many. Including the great number who have migrated away.

Your not suggesting you are the saviour of all the would be CRT buyers because you think they are being duped are you? On what basis?? You may be able to construct an argument to prove one thing or another but you cannot see the projected image through the eyes of anyone other than yourself and technical differences don't necessarily mean better or worse for any particular viewer. Hec I bet an argument could be constructed show that one car is technically better than any other but you will notice we are all driving different makes and models of vehicles and that would probably not change even if we all knew which was the so called "best" car. You could just as easily dupe people with this constant attack on CRT that we see by denying someone the experience on a narrow technical basis. There are always evangelists who perhaps are over zealous but that doesn't make them wrong they really do believe what they say so its up to the individual to satisfy him or herself that the projector they want is for them. There are way too many variables (some intangable) to say one technology is the "best".

Last edited by km987654 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:

Oh, and so that you'll know. The projectors used at the trade shows are showing specially processed media or movie scenes that will give them that better edge look. And that's not something that's new, they have been doing that for over 20 years at professional shows that I known of. And Sony has always used "special" demo material at their shows and stuff they send to their resellers, to make their crap look better..

Is that directed at me? I am well aware of what they are using and I don't blame them. I think the JVC 4k is a great pj, but with regular blu ray it was just really good. Now with native 4k material, it is unbelievable. It was those images that will make this Crabb's first, third, fifth and last stop at Cedia this year.Smile
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you had to bring that JVC 4k up, didn't you? OMG... I'm getting all juicy just thinking about it... Mmmmmmmmmmm.... Hell, that's reason enough alone to make the trip to Indy this year!!!

Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five months and counting.Wink

Hopefully they will have some more native 4k material.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the projector wont be here until Teusday (hopefully in the one peice I bought it in!)

So I have until that time to defend the reason I purchased the projector:P

I didn't buy it because I hate CRT, or CRT is too hard to work on, or even because I thought it would be close to CRT (I was just curious more or less)

I bought this projector for the pure simple fact that its 1080p, 25lbs, and can virtually be put anywhere and go anywhere I need it to be. The VPL-VW50 is a replacement for the excuse of a projector VPL-BW7 I bought new (for the same price as the VW50...)

if the VW50 has 2-3 times better image than the BW7, that is all I am looking for. I'm not trying to impress people with it in the slightest.

So Dave, if my reasoning behind the purchase of this digital monstrosity doesn't jive with your opinions, then too bad, its not your money its mine. Smile Your ultimate opinion of what projectors are good (to you) and for whatever reason, is just that, your opinion.

If you don't like the digital I bought, go on AVS and slam the people that buy the cheap digitals and think they are the best thing ever. I have enough experience in display technology to know the pros and cons of most display tech. I don't need to be told what to buy Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:

When I start back posting on the screenshot thread over at AVS, watch how many views that thread gets each day. Funny thing, the digital folk love watching CRT screenshots..Mr. Green

I'm not sure why. No offense, but your screenshots look like turd on my dell laptop screen. Everything looks like turd on it!!! Screenshot threads are pretty much irrelevant when i'm using this thing. Them digital guys must put a lot of faith into their computer monitors.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's ridiculous to think that a small on-screen picture, on an uncalibrated monitor, run through a digital camera with unknown compression algorithms, taken in non-ideal conditions, could give anything but a vague idea of what the screen actually looks like.

If you zoomed in on a small portion of the screen, then your monitor could at least have the resolution to represent it accurately, and the camera is less likely to add noticeable compression artifacts. But it's still a poor substitute for eyes in front of the screen.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I received the VPL-VW50 yesterday and spent the better part of the 10 hours after that watching it.

My very first impression when I turned it on and saw the computer signal through HDMI was "I think the CRT is better." And it is overall.

However, the VPL-VW50 does have a very nice image that is, IMHO easily watchable, ONCE the colors are calibrated.. They were absolutely horrible when I turned it on, and I think thats why I thought my NEC PG Xtra was better.

I spent so far about 5 of the 10 hours working on the color, and I have it pretty good without using a disc or anything else besides eyeing it up.

The lack of Screen Door Effect is extremely nice, its what gives it the most CRT like feature. The problem I still mainly have with most digitals that use multiple panels/chips is they are usually off convergence by a pixel or more.

I was not so lucky in getting one thats perfectly aligned. The Blue chip is off by 2 pixels vertically and the red is off by 1 pixel to the right, still with full 1080p chips it is hardly noticable at even 4ft viewing distance, and at normal distance, really isnt visible at all.

Another thing I noticed right away viewing the VPL-VW50 is the response time. Though barely noticable as well, I still managed to spot it right away, as would any trained CRT eye Wink

Overall the unit is a very nice machine. Dead silent, not a major space heater, nice look, and plenty of inputs. The image it produces (to me,) looks great for a digital, what more do you want from a $500 projector?

The only thing I didn't like using on this projector (and I had it on my VPL-AW15 a few years ago), is the Auto Iris. I can easily see it adjusting and it is more annoying to me than having slightly brighter blacks. The blacks could be a bit better, but I think for a digital they are pretty damn good.

So theres my opinion on it, I feel it was worth the $500 with a brand new bulb. Though as I have said before, if this is sub par for most of you, I can only imagine what a JVC RS60 must be like...

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the VW50 have the means for digital convergence like the VW60? How gray is the BL?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VW60 can converge the LCoS panels?? If it can, the 50 cant, have yet to find a setting for that in the menu.

The blacks arent really gray, but they arent black either, Id say they look like very dark charcoal black type grays. I don't use the auto iris because on scenes where theres fire or anything really bright it looks like a flare just lit up inside the projector.

I have the auto iris set to off most of the time or manual when watching a movie (I have it right around 50).

So does the VW60 have LCoS panel convergences abilities??

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think you'll be dissapointed in the black level performance..especially coming from a CRT background. You'll be going "gray screen" if you do, otherwise you'll REALLY suffer! - lol. I picked up a JVC HD350 (RS10) for $999 as a demo model. Black level about as good as you'll ever get for under $1k used, and otherwise world class image with dark room, white screen, dark wall color, etc. All else will leave you more money and questionable "iris controlled" black levels. ...including Sony vw50
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see that this topic got any attention since april.

And guess what all you digital Haters>> Thats right the bulb has burned out!! AT A WHOPPING 552 HOURS! Now, given the fact that unless I spend $380 on a Sony bulb, Ill be spending $120 every 6 months, which would quickly add up to WAY WAY more than any CRT projector.

I was dissapointed that the bulb went so quickly, but that is the deisgn of digital. I have takent the pearl down from the ceiling and in place I have put my NEC 9PG Xtra into action.

now if the 9PG Xtra was running at 1080p, I would say that it would easily blow away my Pearl, hell it still does with the colors and smooth flowing image.

The Pearl had 2 main pros, Ease of setup, and it was sharper than my CRT PJs, but that literally is where it ends.

So yes, I have learned my lesson (once again) as to why CRT is better...

At least I wont have to worry about replacing tubes every 6 months Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that sucks, hope my vw60 bulb lasts longer.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVerge wrote:
Damn that sucks, hope my vw60 bulb lasts longer.

As long as you have a genuine bulb that you got from sony or AVS (because they are the only other place I know that for sure sells the Sony bulb) then you should be fine.

When I bought the projector I got it for half of what its worth because the guy said he replaced the bulb and afterwards the "faces" of people in movies were darker than his old one. That would be a classic sign of a cheapo ebay aftermarket bulb. When I got the projector it had 72 hours on the replacement he put in.

So Since I only have $500 into the machine, it isn't the worst scenario, the projector is like new otherwise, and came with the accessories at that, so I guess I shouldn't complain about it.

Hope your enjoying your VW60 (sony should have named it Onyx) Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: