Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ubuntu Netbook Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Ubuntu Netbook Edition Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well it has been three solid days of computing and I haven't been bothered to figure out why my MBR isn't compatible with my new W7 disc I was trying to install.

I remembered I had Netbook Ubuntu on my keychain and popped it in.

I only really use this computer for a few tasks. Each one has an alternative option through Linux so I figured I would give it a shot.

I live practically the entire time inside Google Chrome so using the extensions gives me the feel of Chrome OS I am sure.

If I have to venture elsewhere there is some decent built-in apps. I have the nVidia driver installed and my BR rip MKVs play fine (except for a strange color issue I haven't googled yet).

I was able to install and get up and running (wihtout sound?) the only computer game I have played in 6 years. I haven't found a very good alternative to Windows Live Writer for my wife but you can post to blogs from Google Docs, and extension called Scribefire and we have tried both.

Now I just need to read up a bit on getting my Windows shares and everything figured out...and I might just hang on to my $85 W7 x64 disc for a bit.

I was already contemplating building a new system for the bedroom that is upgradeable (more so than laptops anyway) and letting this one sit out in the kitchen/living area for the wife and kids.

This OS would be pretty slick on a system that doesn't have enough power for Vista or W7. It is a really "smartphone" like simple UI that has basic groups with "app" buttons.

Anyone else tried it out?

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is the netbook version stripped down for more conservative resource requirement platform? I'm wondering why you chose the netbook to play with instead of a more full version (convenience). BTW, what is the second image?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more stripped down exactly for "netbook powered" devices. Plus it has a nice UI that isn't as "bare" as regular Ubuntu. I figured it would the easier version that the wife could figure out.

The second one just shows that I can play my BR rips in the built-in movie player with a simple download that pops up automatically. Also to show that my color is off. That is a snapshot from Bedtime Stories which is pretty colorful but it shouldn't be that blue/purple.

It was remarkably easy to install and VERY fast with only three items needed from the user.

Language
Name
Password
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the netbook edition of Ubuntu last month on my HP DV2 and though it worked fine I prefer the full desktop version so I switched back.

I may give it another try in the next day or so as it does seem to have all the functionality I need and I wouldn't argue with a little increase in speed.

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
I tried the netbook edition of Ubuntu last month on my HP DV2 and though it worked fine I prefer the full desktop version so I switched back.

I may give it another try in the next day or so as it does seem to have all the functionality I need and I wouldn't argue with a little increase in speed.

Erik

I haven't missed anything yet. I think the interface is far easier and more intuitive for my wife. Large icons, logically separated.

I haven't decided if we will keep it yet.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Netbook once and didn't like it. However after playing with Chrome OS tonight I think I'll give Ubantu Netbook a second look.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Netbook edition anymore. It has been rolled into the main release, since Unity is now the default desktop.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version are they on number wize?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next version should be coming out on the 13.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: