Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

the value of digitals

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: the value of digitals Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
clipped from a craigslist ad that's been up for a week or so

Quote:
(5) THE REEL FEEL OF THEATER Solid projection screen $400.00 firm
outside dimensions 80 1/2 " x 44 1/2 " viewable area 76" x 40 "
border is 2' wide tigerwood corners are made of cocabolo,
with light trap cut in (stops light from splashing onto the walls and cieling)
supported by french cleats adjustable side to side
far supiorior to pull down screens does not move,absolute o light leak
clean with soap and water,
will throw in optoma h27 hdtv projector (300hours left on bulb)
for photos email XXX@XXX.XXX (subject solid screen photos)
or call Ross (XXX)XXX-XXXX

free with screen... heh heh heh
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you edit his email and phone number? He was dumb enough to post it on craigslist....
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it's a working projector. i respect not supplying contact for a working projector on this site. even digital.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Google's fast. I did a search for "THE REEL FEEL OF THEATER Solid projection screen $400.00 firm" and this thread is at the top of the list. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I watch and read all those forum posts about how CRTs have dropped in value (and CRTs have been around a long long time) and whilst that is true digitals will be worth nothing the instant you pay for them because the rate of change and introduction of new models and features will begin to accelerate as it does with all other computer technology.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
Yeah I watch and read all those forum posts about how CRTs have dropped in value (and CRTs have been around a long long time) and whilst that is true digitals will be worth nothing the instant you pay for them because the rate of change and introduction of new models and features will begin to accelerate as it does with all other computer technology.
I think one needs to acknowledge, though, that part of this was the result of economics and a broadening of marketplace for digitals compared to analog projectors.

During CRT's mainstream days there was a commercial/industrial market without the driving force of a consumer market. Since the application for CRTs was squarely in non-consumer markets the needs, desires, and availability of new features to match lowering prices simply were not there. Before this could evolve, RPTV for CRTs was the mainstream crazy, but by then it was too late.

The 80/20 rule was no doubt a deciding factor with 80% of the consumer markets not seeking the final 20% in features or quality. That is where the niche markets came in, and guess what? No one was really there for that except the ultra boutiques which were certainly not going to let the technology become mainstream.

Its was because consumers were willing to buy into less of a system that when digital projectors used in commercial and industrial applications became available that a) prices started coming down as consumers added a new revenue stream for the makers, and b) quality picked up in a manufacturer's race with one another.

I still believe the 80/20 rule is in place.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I watch and read all the posts on the forum about how CRTs have declined in value (and CRT have existed for a long time) and while this is true digital is nothing worth the time you pay for them, because the exchange rate and the introduction of new models and features are beginning to accelerate as it does with all other computer technologies.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: the value of digitals Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
clipped from a craigslist ad that's been up for a week or so

Quote:
(5) THE REEL FEEL OF THEATER Solid projection screen $400.00 firm
outside dimensions 80 1/2 " x 44 1/2 " viewable area 76" x 40 "
border is 2' wide tigerwood corners are made of cocabolo,
with light trap cut in (stops light from splashing onto the walls and cieling)
supported by french cleats adjustable side to side
far supiorior to pull down screens does not move,absolute o light leak
clean with soap and water,
will throw in optoma h27 hdtv projector (300hours left on bulb)
for photos email XXX@XXX.XXX (subject solid screen photos)
or call Ross (XXX)XXX-XXXX

free with screen... heh heh heh

That's not a fair comparison, though, is it? You are talking about a video projector (480 lines). You could have at least gone looking for some used 720P projectors, which you would find a Sharp 720P someone is selling for $450. That thing was 20x more on its original cost only a handful of years ago.

Now, what I do find amusing are some folks out there are so hung up on their 'investment' (ahem, projector purchase) that a decade can pass and they still think a very outdated analog-input only 768P LCD projector with massive SDE is worth more than $1/3 the product's original MSRP.

Those kinds of folks are completely in need of a reality check.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you have people like me, with a 5 year old Sharp PG A-10x (LCD XGA ) with over 3k hours on the bulb and yellowing screen door. I have had that original $1k projector sitting on a shelf for over two years just in case I wanted to use it for a business / presentation situation.

Yes - I know its worth nothing but am I better off letting it collect dust or putting it on CL? I don't like the hassle of that so I just let it sit and probably will end up throwing it out later on instead of collecting the small change its worth or it was worth.

Certainly not worth the $350 cost of a new bulb
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
because it's a working projector. i respect not supplying contact for a working projector on this site. even digital.

I have yet to see a working' digital projector. Heehee! Mr. Green
jocosaevans

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT During ordinary days there was a commercial or industrial power without a consumer market. It was because consumers are less willing to buy a system when digital projectors used in commercial and industrial applications it was decided that prices began to fall as consumers added a new source of income for politicians, and the quality reflected in the career a manufacturer with others.
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocosaevans wrote:
CRT During ordinary days there was a commercial or industrial power without a consumer market. It was because consumers are less willing to buy a system when digital projectors used in commercial and industrial applications it was decided that prices began to fall as consumers added a new source of income for politicians, and the quality reflected in the career a manufacturer with others.

Shocked

Is there a google translater for jibberish?

Dave
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o good, i'm so glad it's not just me. i read that twice. and their other post three times and neither of them grok for me either.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Spam as far as I can tell. Repeated in other threads.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Its Spam as far as I can tell. Repeated in other threads.

Heuristic, looks like. Rather clever, really - at least for spammers. Their algorithm could use some work, though; I've seen (and actually written myself) far better.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonyroger wrote:
Yes I watch and read all the posts on the forum about how CRTs have declined in value (and CRT have existed for a long time) and while this is true digital is nothing worth the time you pay for them, because the exchange rate and the introduction of new models and features are beginning to accelerate as it does with all other computer technologies.

Didn't I just say that or was that really not me that I thought was me!! Laughing
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:

Heuristic, looks like. Rather clever, really - at least for spammers. Their algorithm could use some work, though; I've seen (and actually written myself) far better.

Peri
Can you elaborate on this? I kinda knew it was spam from his other posts,but as I saw no links to anything I just wasn't 100% sure. How is this spam,from an educational POV?

Dave
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:

This is actually incorrect. With any emerging technology there is a curve. The curve for digitals has started to flatten out such that they do not drop in value as fast as they did 5 years ago. You could sell a one or two year old JVC for some money, and enough money that makes it quite a far cry from your "worth nothing the instant you pay for them"

But, taking a queue from another thread, let's compare apples to apples: Barco Cine 8 from say 2003 and Qualia 004 from 2004. Both cost near the same at the time. The Qualia (the digital) is worth more at this moment than the Cine 8.

Or how about, someone buys a 10 year old used CRT in 2007 for $3000 (good LC 8"). Another person buys a new digital for $3500. Guess what, today they are both worth nothing.

Your statment was true for a short period of time, but not really anymore. If you buy something now at or near the bottom of its depreciation curve (for instance any CRT or a 4 year old digital) you will pay almost nothing and in a few years it will still be worth almost nothing.

The technology war is over and we consumers got it decent--affordable high quality projectors. I understand wanting to be one of the "cool guys" with the CRT, but most (espeicially the videophiles) have upraded and few have reservations about that upgrade. Something to consider.

YMMV

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
km987654 wrote:

This is actually incorrect. With any emerging technology there is a curve. The curve for digitals has started to flatten out such that they do not drop in value as fast as they did 5 years ago. You could sell a one or two year old JVC for some money, and enough money that makes it quite a far cry from your "worth nothing the instant you pay for them"

But, taking a queue from another thread, let's compare apples to apples: Barco Cine 8 from say 2003 and Qualia 004 from 2004. Both cost near the same at the time. The Qualia (the digital) is worth more at this moment than the Cine 8.

Or how about, someone buys a 10 year old used CRT in 2007 for $3000 (good LC 8"). Another person buys a new digital for $3500. Guess what, today they are both worth nothing.

Your statment was true for a short period of time, but not really anymore. If you buy something now at or near the bottom of its depreciation curve (for instance any CRT or a 4 year old digital) you will pay almost nothing and in a few years it will still be worth almost nothing.

The technology war is over and we consumers got it decent--affordable high quality projectors. I understand wanting to be one of the "cool guys" with the CRT, but most (espeicially the videophiles) have upraded and few have reservations about that upgrade. Something to consider.

YMMV

Your comparison of my comparison is a little lop sided. You are comparing two different technologies at very different periods in their respective life cycles. CRT is at the end and digitals are at the start so comparisons in the last decade are not valid as the end of life CRT has had little if any meaningful development and digitals have buckets of money thrown in to develop this technology. Perhaps a better gauge would be to look at CRT when development was still taking place say 1990 to 95 or so and compare that to the Qualia as digital technology is still developing. I have not looked but I would stand by anyones findings.

I buy digital projector technology constantly as part of my business and here is a typical example. Model A from a well know projector manufacture was $1150 8 months ago , 6 months ago it was replaced by model B $950 and now after only 6 months that model is end of life and we are waiting for its replacement. I would suggest that model A would be lucky to be worth 50% of the original price right now after only 8 months!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: