Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Windows 8 - Any takers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Especially running a nice virtual W2k GUI.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
No thanks.
I am pretty tired of this move to make the desktop OS like the tablet OS. Why can't they be separate and unique to their intended purposes?

It is called integration and it will make your life easier if the OS remembers everything about you when you switch between desktop, laptop, tablet and smartphone. That is the ultimate goal.

It still has the "standard" Windows 7 style desktop anyway. The thing that I am pumped about is that it will have the "desktop" OS power even in the tablet format...so you won't be limited to tablet OS when you are mobile.

I understand integration, but it still doesn't play to each devices strengths. I bet a lot of people will love it, but I bet even more will hate it. Linux could get a huge boost for those that prefer a more classical approach.

How do you know it doesnt play to each devices strength?

Have you used W8 on any type of device?

I would like to have a unified OS experience AS LONG AS it doesn't handicap me on the desktop.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right I don't know. I haven't used W8 and won't until it is further along. It may actually be great, but I doubt it based on my experience with other tablet OSes that I have used on the desktop.

It seems that you would lessen your desktop experience for better tablet integration and tablet functionality. Ipads may be the trendy tech item today, but I have yet to see anyone with an Android tablet. So, I doubt the mass public will prefer a cheapened desktop experience in favor of a great tablet experience. In other words, MS better hit a home run, which I doubt they can based on their track record.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Your right I don't know. I haven't used W8 and won't until it is further along. It may actually be great, but I doubt it based on my experience with other tablet OSes that I have used on the desktop.

It seems that you would lessen your desktop experience for better tablet integration and tablet functionality. Ipads may be the trendy tech item today, but I have yet to see anyone with an Android tablet. So, I doubt the mass public will prefer a cheapened desktop experience in favor of a great tablet experience. In other words, MS better hit a home run, which I doubt they can based on their track record.

So you are saying that Microsoft has never been able to make a product that will be picked up by the masses for large market share??
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the masses are like cows headed for the slaughter house. They take whatever is given to them. This is how Vista got out there. Does anyone know of a substantial number of consumers that bought retail packaged Vista? We all know the lame cookie-cutter PC manufacturers will use it, because of their acknowledgement of the cow-consumers, and their personal apathy for their consumers beyond the wallets.

If I am forced to only being offered this W8 bastard of experience, I'm not buying. I'll do just like I did during the Vista debacle. I'll continue to buy the previous version until M$ learns their next lesson.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

So you are saying that Microsoft has never been able to make a product that will be picked up by the masses for large market share??

You mean like Bob! Shocked

I think Wan nailed it. If this OS isn't great, then how many outside the fanboys will buy the retail OS? I think John Dvorak wrote a column about this. How many people do you know bought Vista? Yes, people got it with their new computers, but how many will hold off on buying new computers this time around if the OS sucks. On the flip side, if it isn't a home run, but a competent tablet OS then I could see tablet sales taking up the slack.

Since Apple seems to do this much better than MS, I wonder what their short and long term plans are with their OSes. Crabb doesn't post any more, but I would like to hear his comments on the differences between the idevices and Mac and whether they could be nicely combined.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the trend continues and the computing industry will be changing form factors in favor of mobile, people will have to buy new hardware.

Not sure why you guys are so resistant to it. It still has a desktop. Vista wasn't really bad at all. I used it for several years with no more problems than xp gave me. Vista tried some new things and people got their panties in a bunch.

There are several die hards who still change the W7 settings to look like xp...I dont get it.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
But if the trend continues and the computing industry will be changing form factors in favor of mobile, people will have to buy new hardware.

Not sure why you guys are so resistant to it. It still has a desktop. Vista wasn't really bad at all. I used it for several years with no more problems than xp gave me. Vista tried some new things and people got their panties in a bunch.

There are several die hards who still change the W7 settings to look like xp...I dont get it.

Change sucks. (It weighs your pants down and makes your belt fail faster. Smile)

I like making the XP Start menu look like 98.

I've had a couple of PC's with the Vista Virus on them. One ended up used as a placemat and the other will get XP tablet just as soon as I can get my hands on it. Vista blows!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, Microsoft blames video card manufacturers for poor driver support, but Microsoft removed HAL which prevented hardware manufacturers from having direct access/control over their own hardware.

That was Vista and you wondered why so many people hated it? I tell you what ... buy a car and be forced to have someone else drive it for you (you will not be allowed). How would you like that?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Greg, Microsoft blames video card manufacturers for poor driver support, but Microsoft removed HAL which prevented hardware manufacturers from having direct access/control over their own hardware.

That was Vista and you wondered why so many people hated it? I tell you what ... buy a car and be forced to have someone else drive it for you (you will not be allowed). How would you like that?

Do I have to pay them to drive me? That sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Laughing
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if the 'driver' is an idiot and will cause you to crash as much as Microsoft claimed them to be responsible for.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

I am not resistant to change. I will change when I think it is better. I have used Unity and Meego (two tablet OSes) and I don't like them on the desktop. They are probably fine for a tablet, but it just doesn't feel right on desktop.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

I am not resistant to change. I will change when I think it is better. I have used Unity and Meego (two tablet OSes) and I don't like them on the desktop. They are probably fine for a tablet, but it just doesn't feel right on desktop.

How do you like Windows 7?

You do realize that there is a traditional Windows 7 style desktop still in Windows 8, right?

http://lifehacker.com/5842150/windows-8-in+depth-part-2-the-desktop
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

You do realize that there is a traditional Windows 7 style desktop still in Windows 8, right?

Now wait, I could have sworn someone told me that this was NOT the case.

Remember, I have a black void for a desktop. No background image, no icons. Can this be achieved in W8? If so, then good. But if it is only allowed with the Professional version then W8 can KMA.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

7 is pretty good, but I use Ubuntu for my daily computing.

While I would give the 7 desktop app a try, how many basic computer users (sheeple) are going to do this?
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

7 is pretty good, but I use Ubuntu for my daily computing.

While I would give the 7 desktop app a try, how many basic computer users (sheeple) are going to do this?

Who cares if the sheeple try it? It is there for the enthusiast still. They didn't complete stonewall you.

There is the option to completely shutoff the MetroUI elements.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroUI reminds me of the Metrosexual South Park episode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: