Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Thomas Electronics 9M198PT553 CRT/Marquee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hjhjr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Thomas Electronics 9M198PT553 CRT/Marquee Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I purchased a marque 8500 converted to a 9500LC . The tubes are Thomas Electronics 9M198PT553 CRT. I would like any input as to the quality, operation or any other input that anyone has. It looks like that the orginal 8" yokes were used on the 9"tubes. The DY outer edge buy the CRT is about
3/8" from the tube, when it is as far forward that it can go.

Hilton
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I have correct nine inch yoke sets here, PM me if interested.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re post from AVS

Thats just how it is, the bell housing is a different shape . So the DFY won't fit as nicely as on a LCP or LUG and even on those there is a slight gap. But if you disconnect the focus Yokes and look at the grid, no loosen all the magnetics and slide the focus yoke up and down the tube neck to get the best focus in the center you can. With no power it should still focus ok, if not then your yokes magnetics are not of proper gauss and would need re-calibrating. or you could try to find some other yokes and by testing each one find the best yoke for each tube.

On my test tube I used to modify the VNB's for those tubes I got good results with the 8 inch DFY's the 9's are not much different in Shape, the coils might be slightly different. But otherwise people have had them work fin on other 9 inch tubes.

here is a picture Scott sent me, 8" on left 9 " on right. I think the restores are different but i cant tell from this pic.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
hjhjr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the focus yoke back and fourth the dots gets larger I never with a dark inner center never see a central dot. I think I have a defective flare rings. On one tube when I turn the ring around the tube the whole raster moves on another the raster does no move any.The 9500 is not near as bright as my NEC XG 1100. I have it setup on the ceiling and the 9500 setup on a table on the floor. The RED tube in the 9500 compared to the XG is very orange looking.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a bad CPC magnet or have them installed backwards if whoever did the thomas tube conversion put them back on wrong.

I forgot to mention when moving the focus yokes to totally remove the CPC magnets, this will then allow you to see how well
the focus coils work and then also allow you to see if you do have an out of calibration CPC magnet as well.

red might look more orange if it does not have a red C-Element. Those are hard to find these days as 3M no longer makes them.

Comparing my 8 inch marquee's to my 9 inch the 9 inch is definitely brighter, and the 9" Thomas test tube is brighter then my 8" for sure, i did measurements with my probe with brightness and contrast at 50 for both and having the g2' set as to the set guide on Tim's marquee site.

Not sure how hard the NEC's drive the tubes so I can't make that comparison.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

hjhjr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Focus on marquee Reply with quote

I removed the cc magnets sliding the focus yoke from rear toward front of tube till it against the scan Yoke the spot goes from round with a dark round center to a small dot. I never see a large dot with a bright center no matter what I adjust, I have read everything that I can find about focus on the 9500. The Thomas tubes that you have are they the same as mine? As far as I can tell the yokes are put on right with the clamp toward the rear of the tube.
Is there a different high voltage requirement for the Thomas tubes.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the tubes, many people coming from other PJ's have a hard time with Marquees, even with the stock tubes and LUG's.

First off off don't worry about the bright dot in the larger blob that comes later. What you want to do if first find the best static focus of the center of the grid with the unpowered focus yoke. Once you find the best focus with no power put it all back together and make sure the CPC magnets are in the null position (all tabs together).

Centering the grid is the hard part because you use the CPC first ring and also the focus coil together. you have to go back and forth till you get no movement when ramping focus from 0 to 100. its a pain in the ass but you'll get better at it the more you practice.

now is where you try to focus the grid electronically, forget about dots for now. you may have to go into the individual RGB focus menu in the service menu. set the over all global focus for best focus then go into each RGB focus service menu and re adjust.

Now you can go work on the CPC magnets , that also takes practice and you might also move the grid here so going back to swinging the focus coil around may be needed. its all reiteration , mechanical set up on these marquee's is not easy with all the movable parts for magnetics.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

hjhjr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one tube when I turn turn the knob on the forward magnetic ring the whole raster moves on another the raster does no move any.
I swapped the magnetic rings between the red and the blue and the raster movement followes the swap of the ring. Which way should it be. I think one set of rings are defective.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the raster should move with the ring closest to the focus yoke.
it should move from upper left to lower right or vice versa iirc when swinging the handle.

hjhjr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand, is the raster supposed to move when adjusting the ring with the knob. Swinging the handle does this mean rotating the whole ring around the crt.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be that you only have a 2pole cpc magnet so you have only one handle to swing around the crt.
if you only have one ring with a handle the the other ring is a dummy.
try getting 2-4-6 pole cpc magnets in the buy and sell forum, i think tim still has them.
yes it should move when swinging around the crt neck.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your suppose to do both, swing the knob around the neck of the tube and twist for fine tuning. the new CPC magnets do not have the twist gears . if you watch whats going on when you twist the gears one part of the CPC magnet your working on goes clockwise the other goes counter clockwise moving the magnetic fields away from each other. On the new CPC magnets the separate halves have their own tab you move either together or separately .

I do suspect a weak CPC magnet.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, there's been no activity in this topic since 2011.

But I have encountered a Thomas 9M281P53 tube among the lot of 48 tubes I acquired very recently. It's a green, and looks like a new tube in terms of glass color and phosphor condition.

Hooked up and running in my test Marquee, it is phenomenally sharp. But it's very DIM. If it were a direct view 9" TV, at full drive, G2, and contrast you'd think it was operating at about mid contrast. For a 9" direct view tube TV.

I'm wondering if it's really compatible with P19LUG/LCP series tubes. it runs but I can't say if there's something wrong with it
or if it just isn't compatible with an unmodded Marquee.

Does anyone know much of anything about Thomas CRTs and what's different about them, if anything?

Google searches have found no data on this tube type as of yet.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I know, there's been no activity in this topic since 2011.

But I have encountered a Thomas 9M281P53 tube among the lot of 48 tubes I acquired very recently. It's a green, and looks like a new tube in terms of glass color and phosphor condition.

Hooked up and running in my test Marquee, it is phenomenally sharp. But it's very DIM. If it were a direct view 9" TV, at full drive, G2, and contrast you'd think it was operating at about mid contrast. For a 9" direct view tube TV.

I'm wondering if it's really compatible with P19LUG/LCP series tubes. it runs but I can't say if there's something wrong with it
or if it just isn't compatible with an unmodded Marquee.

Does anyone know much of anything about Thomas CRTs and what's different about them, if anything?

Google searches have found no data on this tube type as of yet.

Might have bee run with one of the bad Heater supplies over the 6.37vdc value and cooked the cathode.

The Thomas tubes I have are not he same.

Different part number

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155166#155166

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check with VDC. I know for a fact that VDC has supplied some Thomas CRTs. I have the shipping box with label to prove it.

They should have the specs on the type.

It had occurred to me that it might be a P14 victim. But given the source of the tubes I picked up, and the fact that they're all pulls from simulators that get retubed rather often, I would expect that any P14 victims got purged out of the system years ago.

It may just be a weak tube that has no wear on it simply because it got rejected right after it was tested before going into service.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found references to the Thomas tube I mentioned above. It's the Thomas equivalent to a P19LUG with the same specs.

So it's a bad tube. Probably a P14 filament voltage victim.
Pokemon640

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, the only option to get brand new LUG tubes, is from VDC or Eisemann Theater ? Rolling Eyes
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, I have new in the box green LCP tubes for far less than a new LUG. $450 USd plus about $100 shipping. I'll throw in a 'standard' late model Marquee neck board as well.
Pokemon640

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i will check what kind of tubes is in my BG1209, or if it's already modified for LUG tubes.

cmjohnson wrote:
So it's a bad tube. Probably a P14 filament voltage victim.
What is P14 filament voltage victim ?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a run of Marquee low voltage power supplies made that ALL were defective and the filament voltage, which is supposed to be 6.35 volts and dead stable, would slowly rise. This caused the filaments to run hot which damaged the cathodes ("stripping") and caused cathode emission to pretty much come to an end. Once this is done there's no recovery, the tube is a dud.

I forget what years it was but a fair number of Marquees suffered from this fault. There are fixes for it, of course, but hopefully you fix it before it kills the tube's lifespan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: