Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ecrabb's theater photos... finally.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
perisoft wrote:
Also, I haven't got my mouse down here right now... photoshopping with a track pad is like driving a car with high heels! Very Happy

Funny, I've never had high heels on, but from working in Photoshop with a track pad, I imagine driving a car in high heels is something like that! Wink

perisoft wrote:
the invite was awesome too! It's nice to see someone who cares about design even for little things, rather than just firing up word, pasting in clip art, and doing 'select all, comic sans, 18 points, center'. Thumbs Up

Sadly, I can't take much credit for that. The invite is ripped off from an Apple press event invite, and even the mark is based on something I saw somewhere. You know the old "cobbler's children have no shoes" saying? I'm always so busy designing at work or stuff for other people, I'm burnt out and have no time for my own stuff. Yeah, I know... Cop out.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome room...I could only dream to have such a nice room...

One thought, I would orient that center speaker vertically...it will sound better...a lot better.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ben!

Actually, that center is designed to be used in exactly that configuration. The crossover, drivers, front baffle, mounting and grille are set up for best on/off-axis response and dispersion. They're not MTM configuration if that's what you were thinking. Here's a review that addresses the design...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_6_3/mandkthxselectspeakers.html

Quote:
The LCR-750THX, Center 750-THX, and S-550THX satellites look like conventional two-way designs for the most part. M&K calls the crossover Phase-Focused. Phase-Focused refers not simply to the crossover itself, but how that crossover reacts with the driver response, and the driver dispersion characteristics.  What this means in standard English is that M&K takes great pains not only to achieve a flat response on-axis, but off-axis as well, in both horizontal and vertical planes through lots and lots of measurements from different locations, lots and lots of listening, and lots and lots of tweaking. I think you can see now why good speakers are not just a matter of using good drivers, but using good drivers in carefully designed configurations. This takes lots of work, and that is why good speakers cost good money.

A point of interest with the 750s, including the center channel, is that the mid-bass and tweeters are aligned in a MMT (mid/mid/tweeter) array as opposed to the more common MTM configuration inherent to many center channels. MTM arrays place the mid-bass drivers, which often run up to 2-3 kHz, on opposite sides of the tweeter and hence relatively far away from each other. This results in a greater arrival delay off-axis, as one driver is significantly closer to the listener than the other, and hence severe comb filtering. I once attended a THX training seminar on acoustics, and to quote John Dahl, who addressed MTM center channels while conducting the class, "This sucks." An MTM arrangement does look more symmetrical and hence aesthetically appealing, but it creates, forgive the pun, an upper mid-range suck-out for listeners who can’t sit directly in front of the center channel. It also introduces an imbalance in reflected sound for the listener on-axis.  The MMT method is a simple arrangement that alleviates the problem without compromising performance or adding cost.

Cheers,
SC
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still think it will sound better vertically...all speakers do. What is different about it vs your mains? They seem to be identical speakers...so they should all be vertical. Any horizontal speaker is a compromise.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The room looks great! I hate looking at speakers though. Is that the cool thing to do now? Smile

dale
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
i still think it will sound better vertically...all speakers do. What is different about it vs your mains? They seem to be identical speakers...so they should all be vertical. Any horizontal speaker is a compromise.

Yes, and no. If dispersion were symmetrical, you'd be right. But, these aren't. The tweeter is angled, and the grille is integral to that dispersion. So, technically, once the speaker is in situ, they're not identical. Each is sort of different. This isn't a traditional MTM speaker!

Besides, if I turned it vertically, it would be damn near sitting on the floor. I don't think that would sound very good either, do you?

SC

Last edited by ecrabb on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
The room looks great! I hate looking at speakers though. Is that the cool thing to do now? Smile

I don't know if it's cool, but it's the thing to do when you don't have any other choice! Wink

My room is really tight - a false wall with a 2-3-foot depth was/is completely out of the question. I can't really see them when the lights are off, anyway.

In my next house, I'll look for a space the right size so I can do the HT I've started dreaming up. About 15x21 feet should be plenty for seating for six and a nice false wall with 10-foot AT scope screen. Definitely the next house.

SC
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the speaker will sound better vertically....play a movie and have someone move it for you while you're in your seating position...speakers are vertical for a reason...they sound better this way. Test with dialog and soundtrack...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
the speaker will sound better vertically....play a movie and have someone move it for you while you're in your seating position...speakers are vertical for a reason...they sound better this way. Test with dialog and soundtrack...

I don't know if you could say that as such a blanket statement unless you softened it up a bit.

Besides it is obvious an identical configuration LCR is not possible in his theater.

I had a horizontal center mtm style and it sounded great horizontal.

I still think this is one of the best looking (in person and in photos and from a projected image standpoint) theaters I have seen.

The workmanship is top notch and the finish touches make mine a bit embarrassing...but my family doesn't need to know the difference. Thumbs Up
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just giving my opinion...based on experience and research. Do what you will with it...most don't really care about sound and will opt for the better esthetic or what marketing has allowed people to perceive about a center channel (better if it's horizontal). But these speakers would sound even better if the center were vertical. You can bank that! Smile

Here's an article about horizontal and vertical orientations etc.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs/conclusion-rankings-and-evaluation.html
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff!

SC
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that MK sound did an upgraded 750 system...and lo and behold, it's a vertical center speaker :http://www.mksoundsystem.com/mk950.htm

the only difference appears to be that they don't mount the tweeters with a 4 degree offset anymore.

BTW, i bought a set of these (the 750). I'm very keen to see how good they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: