Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Contemplating a switch to the gray side...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
CRT_Ben wrote:

Spanky - in your opinion is that the price point (mid level JVC, ~4k) at which you get roughly equivalent IQ to a 9" CRT? Is stuff like the 8700UB just no comparison?

I think the JVC is a great pj and does a lot of things better than a 9". As I have said before, CRT still wins in on/off and motion resolution. If either of those are important, then you might consider sticking with CRT. For me, my guesstimate is 10k to 1 on/off as my cutoff point. I have a Marantz dlp with 2k to 1 and the lack of on/off is noticeable. I have said in the past that most CRTers would probably be happy with 20k to 1. A better person to ask is the now absent Crabb. I think if you asked him if he could have a free 9" or a free JVC then he would choose the latter. Stay tuned for Cedia. I don't think there will be anything great this year, but you never know.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
I had simply assumed that an anamorphic lens was necessary for sufficient brightness, but if zooming works, I'm all for saving the money. Dragan - if it's bright enough, is there any hidden downside to running it this way
can't say, i only saw an RS something or other with a premium lens and even the motorized sled on a motorized Stewart 16:9 screen. The picture was very good and then the guy pushed a button and the screen grew wider and the crystal view scaler and lens came on and it was like my jaw hit the floor. Then he told me how much it all cost and my jaw hit the floor even harder Laughing I think 30 to 40K.

CRT_Ben wrote:
Spanky - in your opinion is that the price point (mid level JVC, ~4k) at which you get roughly equivalent IQ to a 9" CRT? Is stuff like the 8700UB just no comparison?
I would like to see the 8700UB but it doens't seem like anyone here has yet either? I bet it looks bettere than some poorly set-up high hour 9 inch but can't come close to a good set-up on a fresh 9inch chassis/tubes
View user's photo album (2 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think that when I get some time here, I'll put together my mint chassis + tubes and stop using my beater 9500. That will give me some time to evaluate the IQ before making a decision.

If anybody has experience with the 8700UB, let me know. I would be VERY tempted by that price bracket if the quality can compare.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy the 8700 at $2k. My guess is Epson will have the new (old) LCOS pjs ready this year. According to Jason at AVS, the street was going to be in the $2500 neighborhood.
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I wouldn't buy the 8700 at $2k. My guess is Epson will have the new (old) LCOS pjs ready this year. According to Jason at AVS, the street was going to be in the $2500 neighborhood.

When you say new (old), do you mean they will be LCOS PJs possibly comparable to JVCs, but a generation or two behind? So perhaps a new $2500 projector comparable to an RS-20 or thereabouts?

What were the B-stock RS20's going for awhile back? I never looked. I don't have much of a frame of reference for the price of JVC PJs.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epson debuted their new LCOS pjs at Cedia last year. They were constantly delayed until they just cancelled them. They should be sorted out and ready to go by Cedia. I wouldn't be surprised if they will be available soon after the show. These are Epson's own panels.

I don't remember what the JVC price was.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Epson called their technology Reflective LCD, not LCoS. While both technically reflect, the big difference is in how the actual pixel structure is formed, how efficient it uses panel space (fill factor), etc.

I think, though, that Epson thought it could compete in the $3.5-5K market with JVC and Sony, but when JVC brought out the HD250, which was essentially an RS10) and it hit the street for $2.5K that made life a lot more difficult for Epson.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fully aware that they call it reflective LCD, but it is close enough to LCOS to group it together.

It isn't hard to figure out why the Epsons were delayed. They had trouble with manufacturing. This is their first go with LCOS. Hopefully they have worked out the problems in the last year. It will be interesting to see how this delays implementation for other manufacturers. If not this year, then next year there will be a lot of Epson LCOS chip pjs on the market.
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hi-jack this a little bit (I sense it is wrapping up), it seems like "the masses" watch TV at home more than film and don't really care so much about IQ if told they need a screen and the lights low. CRT_Ben and eventually all but 5 people here will go digital, but do you guys think that even once the fast, good, cheap, and easy digital PJs get here that people will adopt a projector setup? I don't think so.

That is, is the number of PJ-based HTs going to grow or are we simply talking displacement of the home market toward ever-newer tech? Maybe this has more to do with the bazillions in india and china and what they want?

Matt
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
To hi-jack this a little bit (I sense it is wrapping up), it seems like "the masses" watch TV at home more than film and don't really care so much about IQ if told they need a screen and the lights low. CRT_Ben and eventually all but 5 people here will go digital, but do you guys think that even once the fast, good, cheap, and easy digital PJs get here that people will adopt a projector setup? I don't think so.

That is, is the number of PJ-based HTs going to grow or are we simply talking displacement of the home market toward ever-newer tech? Maybe this has more to do with the bazillions in india and china and what they want?

Matt

Most of them want a little money and enough food to eat. Not sure where a projector would fit in there.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, economics has a lot to say about it. If I made a certain amount more money then the choice would be different. And this comes from a person not concerned where his next meal is coming from (re: AR's comments).

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, but just 1% of 2,000,000,000 is still 20,000,000 people or about 1 Canada. That is still a lot of consumption and a correspondingly large impact on the market.

As I see it the % of folks that produce stuff over there is increasing and will accordingly be able to consume more. Since one must first produce in order to consume, I hope I can still produce stuff they want (right now, I help produce an engineering education...) in a few years.

Matt
AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Things are changing. Reply with quote

NATIVE 2.35:1 (2560 x 1080) DLP:

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/dpi_unveils_anamorphic-free_2.351_dlp_home_theater_projector/

DPI will be showing off the dVision Scope 1080p at next month’s CEDIA Expo. The show runs from September 8-10, 2011, in Indianapolis, Indiana.

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this is going to need some scaling to do.I wonder if this is the DLP's world of competing against JVC and its forthcoming 4K home projection.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much it will cost, but it should (eventually) be competing on the Panasonics with their built-in anamorphic mode and make 2.35 more affordable in the end. By making it 2.35 native they reduce complexity as they don't need the powered zoom or expensive anamorphic optics.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, they just need to be able to hide the sides of the DMD when not watching 2.35 material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: