Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

this is what can be done with marquee heatsinks :).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: this is what can be done with marquee heatsinks :). Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
hybrid amp biased in 60w class a (it gets hot!!).

buz900/905 output stage.

RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this your own design? Or something you found somewhere? Glowbottle amps are always of interest to me.

Details, I want details!!

Ray

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is from john broskie from the glassware website.
this is called the moskido, it has the aikido driver stage with the 6sn7 and 6sl7 tubes and a mosfet output stage with an added autobias which does wonders.

this amp is sounding amazing but i warn you that after you build an amp like this you will need to upgrade all the lesser parts.
i am hearing details now from records i never heard.

mosfet stage.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.07 KB
 Viewed:  9453 Time(s)

mosfet stage.png

bias.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.58 KB
 Viewed:  9447 Time(s)

bias.png

aikido.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.38 KB
 Viewed:  9439 Time(s)

aikido.png

mosdc2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.1 KB
 Viewed:  9429 Time(s)

mosdc2.png

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i might add that you will need huge heatsinks cause this amps produces a lot of heat!!!
go for 0.3C/W or better.
and add fans, i will do this later as the entire case gets too hot for the touch.

RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for the info. I've only recently rediscovered the vintage sound of vinyl, and I think it would be interesting to do a DIY 2 channel amp.

Been running a Grado Silver cartridge (Grado ZF1) on a cheapie Technics turntable that I got at a garage sale for $50 (including the Grado) through a Project phono preamp into a Marantz SR14EX receiver. This feeds a pair of Martin Logan Aerius i speakers that I got used from a high-end shop in Phoenix a couple of years back.

Sitting in the sweet spot, with some new vinyl from Music Direct, makes for some very enjoyable listening....

Now if this amp can drive the MLs, that might be the last piece of the puzzle that I'm looking for. The receiver is capable of 7.1 decoding, but has only 5 amp channels & has pre-out for 7 channels, amp in for 5. So I can use the onboard for the center, side, rears & use this tube amp to drive the mains (and maybe a mono-derived version for the center channel, also a ML, Cinema speaker).

That amp looks to have a nice clean minimalist design in the output stages, still reviewing the other stages.

Thanks so much for sharing, I appreciate the info from another DIYer.

Ray

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes this amp can drive a martin logan, i am sure.

you could opt for bigger toroids if you think this is needed.
i used 300va per channel plus a 70va for the aikido stage.... and a small transformer for 2 softstarts Smile.
if you like a lot of headroom go for 500va per channel or more but be sure to use a softstart circuit for those big toroids.
i also used screw type ps caps, i got these on ebay and they are fantastic, my voltage is at 29.72vdc on both channels, not a mv the difference.

i used a rcrcrcrcc configuration.
8*4700uf and 2*14000uf.
the 4700 measure 5200uf so that is about 70.000uf per channel and that really is enough when using screw type caps.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/526225.pdf
http://www.vishay.com/docs/42065/36dy.pdf

i used a big piece of solid copper to connect the ps caps, this way you have a nice signal ground too.
bob prangell compared this amp to a f4 pass labs and it was simply no match he said.

if you like vinyl get the phono pre from john broskie too and a line stage pre and maybe a step up transformer when using a low output mc cartridge, this will be far better then using the pre out from a reveiver, the aikido design is quite unique and so is its sound.
it`s on par with a kraudio transducer amp and that says a lot.

last thing, the schematic says to use hexfred bridges but a regular rectifier bridge works quite well i can assure you.

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this amp will cost you 1000usd at least when using quality components.

if i were to rebuild this amp i would use a heatsink like this so i could bias the fets a little higher. (currently 185mv across the source resistors)
http://nl.farnell.com/fischer-elektronik/la-17-200-24v/heat-sink-fan-cooled-24v/dp/1222532

for the source resistors i used 5*1ohm/1watt thick film smd resistors in parallel.
this is every bit as good as an expensive caddock resistor but much cheaper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: