Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Trying to use a Windows drive in another computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Trying to use a Windows drive in another computer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a drive with Vista on it that I removed from my laptop. I bought the upgrade to Windows 7 to go along with it, but never installed it. I wanted to see if I could use this drive with my desktop and then do the 7 upgrade. Is this possible?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are trying to use a 2.5" laptop drive with Vista on it in a desktop computer and then perform the W7 upgrade? I'm betting the laptop drive is a slaw performer (4700-5400 RPM). I was experiment with a bare (and blank) 3.5" drive and see what happens when you put in the W7 Upgrade disk.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread, but... besides the drive being low capacity or slow for a desktop, there are two reasons why you shouldn't do this if you haven't already. You can get a lot of low-level driver conflicts by doing this, and sorting it all out can be more annoying than just reinstalling Windows from scratch. Also, an OEM Vista installation is not legally portable to a new motherboard based on the EULA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: