Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 Dallas Chip DS1245Y Successfully Changed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank D

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Sony G90 Dallas Chip DS1245Y Successfully Changed Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Removed the old Dallas chip in the IC333 slot on the YA board, copied the data from the old chip to a new Dallas chip, installed the new chip and put back the YA board, turned on the G90 and Shazam everything was exactly there as before.

Bit of History:
A few months ago I had to turn off my G90 via its hard switch on the back and had left it off for about one hour. When I went to turn it on again I received a series of error code flashes on the error code LCD window on the back of the G90 in the following order: 88, 88, 10, and then remaining at 11. Remote would not turn G90 on and turning the hard switch off and on again produced the same series of error codes. Did some reading on this forum and determined that the battery in my Dallas chip was failing. At that point in time in order to get the G90 going again I had to do a reflash of the firmware software, which after a few attempts I did successfully.

Here is the post on that:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7335&highlight=dallas

Here is a more detailed procedure to changing the Dallas chip.

1. Turned on G90 and did a Data save to Service Block – Page 132 of G90 Installation manual. This was done as a precaution to a possible total failure of the old Dallas chip whereby it would not longer be readable (i.e. Battery too weak causing corrupt data, lack of readability etc.).
2. Turned G90 off from remote.
3. Turned G90 off from hard switch on back.
4. Unscrewed the 10 screws on the back of G90 near where YA board is installed and removed back cover.
5. Unlatched the YA board black clips at either ends of the board and slid out the YA board carefully. Make sure that you are not carrying any static electrical charge as the YA board is sensitive to static electricity and you can end up damaging the board rendering it useless. (I think Sony is currently charging about 1700 to fix it)
6. Placed the YA board on an antistatic foam sheet. Bought the sheet at a local electronics store measuring 18” x 24” for few bucks.
7. Put on an antistatic bracelet and attached it’s alligator clip to the back of my PC.
8. Removed Dallas chip with my fingers while holding the YA board down near the chip. Be careful in prying it loose here as the chip was solidly plugged into a white socket. It is not soldered. You actually need a fair amount of force to pry it off. I had pulled a bit too hard and accidentally hit part of the Dallas chip wires against my other hand and bent some of them. I carefully rebent the wires back into place.
9. I then set up my EPROM programmer and placed the Dallas chip into the programmer chip holder. Very important to align pin one of the Dallas chip in the correct socket or you run the risk of damaging the chip when reading it with the EPROM programmer. There is a small circular indent (chips pin 1 marker) on the top part of the Dallas chip so it was easy to identify pin 1.
10. I then read the chip and saved data (hex file containing serial number, tube hours and user data – convergence, gray scale etc) on my computer.
11. Pulled old Dallas chip off EPROM programmer and installed new Dallas chip and Programmed/verified data to new Dallas chip.
12. Installed the new Dallas chip to the YA board. Make sure that chip is installed with pin one in the correct socket. The old Dallas chip and new Dallas chip looked identical so I just installed the new chip in same direction as the old chip (identified by the direction of the writing on the chips). Make sure you make a note of the direction when you remove the old chip. Again, be somewhat careful as you need a firm amount of force to fully put the Dallas chip all the way back into the socket and you do not want to bend the Dallas chip’s metal pins in the process. I first aligned the chip parallel to the socket on the YA board, initially pushing lightly to get the pins in as much as possible and as evenly as possible and then applied a much firmer even push to both top ends of the Dallas chip to get if fully in.
13. Installed the YA board into my G90 and reinstalled the back plate and 10 screws bank in.
14. Turned G90 on from the hard switch on the back and looked for any possible error codes. No codes present.
15. Turned G90 on via remote and went into service mode and checked brightness, contrast, serial number, tuber hours etc.. All information was exactly the same.
16. New Dallas chip should be good for at least 10 more years.

Other information:

-Old Dallas chip was a DS1245Y - 120 with date inscription on top of chip of Dec 1998 (Chip date code 9852H - showing chip made in 1998 on 52nd week)
-New Dallas chip was a DS1245 - 120+ with date inscription on top of chip of 2007 March (0711M – showing chip made in 2007 on 11th week). The “+” sign refers to RoHS compliant and is Pb-free as required in Europe. This makes no difference and since this requirement was introduced in 2007 I knew I would be buying a “newer chip”.
-The old chip was manufactured with battery connected or engaged so that its 10 yr battery life span would start on the manufactured date. Probably reason why my battery started showing signs of dying in 2008 since it was made and battery engaged 10 years earlier in 1998. The new Dallas chip was manufactured without battery connected/engaged so it's life starts from the date that I first programmed it which was today even though it was manufactured in March 2007.
-Since I had copied the old data fully from the old Dallas chip to the new one I did not need to reflash the Sony G90 firmware software again as I had previously needed to do when the Dallas chip failed a few months ago.

I hope the above assists in alleviating anyone’s concerns in regards to their G90 and Dallas chip. All you need to do is buy a chip and programmer and you are set. I would suggest changing the chip upon seeing first signs of failure since if the chip becomes to unstable and unreadable then the data might not transferable. At the very least save your user data to the Service block periodically so you at least have a back up there.

I have a couple extra Dallas chips I acquired just in case. Should anyone want to send me their old Dallas chip to make a computer back up and program onto a new chip just let me know.

Dallas chip at Newark:
http://www.newark.com/88K4025/semico...IM-DS1245Y-120

Below are some pictures of the procedure. Thumbs Up

1. Back of G90.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.29 KB
 Viewed:  39215 Time(s)

1. Back of G90.jpg

2. Back of G90 showing cover removed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.17 KB

2. Back of G90 showing cover removed.jpg

3. Back of G90 showing YA board removed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.44 KB

3. Back of G90 showing YA board removed.jpg

4. YA board on antistatic foam.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.81 KB

4. YA board on antistatic foam.jpg

5. YA board close up with old Dallas chip.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  199.34 KB

5. YA board close up with old Dallas chip.jpg

6. Old Dallas chip close up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.47 KB

6. Old Dallas chip close up.jpg

7. EPROM programmer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.71 KB

7. EPROM programmer.jpg

8. Aligator clip on bank of computer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.56 KB
 Viewed:  39216 Time(s)

8. Aligator clip on bank of computer.jpg

9. YA board close up with new Dallas chip.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.74 KB

9. YA board close up with new Dallas chip.jpg

10. New Dallas chip close up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.36 KB

10. New Dallas chip close up.jpg

Last edited by Frank D on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:14 am; edited 9 times in total
Frank D

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: More pics Reply with quote

More Pics

11. Anitstatic foam label close up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.92 KB
 Viewed:  39217 Time(s)

11. Anitstatic foam label close up.jpg

12. Antistatic wrist band with aligator clip.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.76 KB
 Viewed:  39217 Time(s)

12. Antistatic wrist band with aligator clip.jpg

Last edited by Frank D on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for the G90 owners.

(Just a tip. If you want your pictures to show up in the thread rather than as a link keep them <1024 pixels wide.)

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky???
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sticky please, maybe in a sub forum for specific repairs.

I may have to do this (with help from EEs at work) for a friend's G90....
Frank D

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Great news for the G90 owners.

(Just a tip. If you want your pictures to show up in the thread rather than as a link keep them <1024 pixels wide.)

Thanks for the tip.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Willem programmer you have there?
Frank D

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Yes it is. It worked excellently.

Here is where I bought it from:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3199
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank D wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

Yes it is. It worked excellently.

Here is where I bought it from:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3199

I thought so. I bought mine from there also. I have the GQ-3X, fully automatic one. Mine works great also. Willem makes a good programmer.
edsuski

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank D,

Do you still have Dallas chips available for the G90? If so, could I pay you to copy one for me and send me a new chip?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Suski
edsuski@cox.net

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank hasn't visited this site since May 18th. Sent you a PM.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic is a bit old, but does this devalue the YA board from what its $1000+ cost is to replace it? Seeing as less than $70 and some time is a lot less than that...

Just curious really Smile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to replace the Dallas chip due to its internal power source reaching the end of its useful life is the least of issues surrounding the YA Board. These 120+ chips are readily available even today.

The kiss of death is IC421 failure. Since this was a proprietary chip manufactured specifically for Sony to G90 specs, their unexpected high failure rate (relatively speaking) and limited spares supply has meant that YA's are unrepairable if diagnosed with this failure. The $1000+ cost for a working YA reflects the difficulty finding another board. You basically have to purchase a G90 cheap due to crispy tubes (how I acquired mine) or wait for someone to break a G90 up for parts. Neither are likely to occur with much frequency.

Last edited by HaydnG90 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the reason the board is so expensive is that on some sets, IC 421 fails. It was custom made by Sony for the G90, and Sony is now out of stock. It seems that one production run of that chip was bad, others work fine. Sony doesn't support the G90 at all, hasn't for a few years, so your $38K set is worth less than a boat anchor if that chip on the YA board dies.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I wouldn't sell my spare YA for $1000, no way. I'm loving the G90 too much now that its MP modded.
Frank D

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still around....

Good to see G90 interest.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank, good to hear from you. Are you still using a G90?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I don't own a G90 so I don't read up on it too much, but I was aware of all the YA board talk and the high price of it. Its too bad there isn't a replacement IC for them...

Hopefully if I ever get to own a G90 that I won't have that death chance:) . A G90 would be sweet to own..

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
Hey Frank, good to hear from you. Are you still using a G90?

Hi HaydnG90,

Still using it and it definitely still gives a great picture. Mainly use it for moves. Some gameing on it too.

When and what did you get done in regards to the MP mod? What improvements did it make?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: