Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Wow! Banding!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Wow! Banding! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just received my 3D-Theater, updated the firmware to the 1.3 beta (it shipped with 1.1), and hooked it up between our Panasonic 210 3D BDP and older Sony LCD. I still have the glasses charging so haven't had a chance to see what 3D looks like yet, but I'm getting severe banding and contouring with 2D passthrough. Taking the Theater out of the chain eliminates the banding. Anyone else seeing this?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow! Banding! Reply with quote

Rolls-Royce wrote:
I just received my 3D-Theater, updated the firmware to the 1.3 beta (it shipped with 1.1), and hooked it up between our Panasonic 210 3D BDP and older Sony LCD. I still have the glasses charging so haven't had a chance to see what 3D looks like yet, but I'm getting severe banding and contouring with 2D passthrough. Taking the Theater out of the chain eliminates the banding. Anyone else seeing this?

If I'm reading this right, your configuration is BDP>VIP>Sony? No AVR in this loop.

Dipswitch 1 in the correct position just in case. All others should be up.

Are you playing a 2D BD disk or a 2D standard definition disk when you see the above problem?

And that is without wearing glasses?

Do you have any spare HDMI short cables to swap out just to eliminate a questionable cable?
I ask that as it sounds like some type of signal bleeding.

If you play a 3D disk without wearing glasses do you get a double shaky image with normal appearance flesh tones?
That would be a normal appearance without glasses.

Contouring and banding does sound abnormal but I still want to ask you those questions.
LAT2104

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had banding when VIP Theater first connected to Sony CRT projector...manual adjustment with the joystick on the RF emitter fixed it...
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow! Banding! Reply with quote

SgtVideo wrote:
Rolls-Royce wrote:

If I'm reading this right, your configuration is BDP>VIP>Sony? No AVR in this loop.

Dipswitch 1 in the correct position just in case. All others should be up.

Are you playing a 2D BD disk or a 2D standard definition disk when you see the above problem?

And that is without wearing glasses?

Do you have any spare HDMI short cables to swap out just to eliminate a questionable cable?
I ask that as it sounds like some type of signal bleeding.

If you play a 3D disk without wearing glasses do you get a double shaky image with normal appearance flesh tones?
That would be a normal appearance without glasses.

Contouring and banding does sound abnormal but I still want to ask you those questions.

Correct. No AVR.

Dipswitch 1 is down, all others are up.

This is with 2D disks, in normal 2D mode, without the glasses.

I swapped out the cable that previously ran from the BDP to the TV (but had worked just fine with the Theater out of the chain). Both cables in the chain are now brand-new High-speed rated cables.

3D disks appear just as you describe without the glasses.

The banding is very noticeable in lighter areas of the picture, especially those that shade from dark to light (clouds, etc.). Horizontal gray scale ramps that should smoothly shade from black to white have a regular pattern of lighter and darker vertical bars that resemble a picket fence. All this goes away when the Theater is removed from the chain.

Last edited by Rolls-Royce on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAT2104 wrote:
Had banding when VIP Theater first connected to Sony CRT projector...manual adjustment with the joystick on the RF emitter fixed it...

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, emitter adjustments won't fix this. It's while viewing regular 2D content. It's also very noticeable when my Panny player's startup and home screens are being displayed.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to report that my banding problem has been solved.Very Happy Jonathan exchanged my first Theater unit for another, which arrived last night while I was at work. I installed the replacement this morning, and the banding is completely gone. As a side benefit, the 3D picture is now better, since all banding is gone there as well. With the 1.3 firmware in place, I wish that DTS HD audio could be bitstreamed instead of having to be sent via PCM, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to live with for now, just to have 5.1 audio at all.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolls-Royce wrote:
I'm happy to report that my banding problem has been solved.Very Happy Jonathan exchanged my first Theater unit for another, which arrived last night while I was at work. I installed the replacement this morning, and the banding is completely gone. As a side benefit, the 3D picture is now better, since all banding is gone there as well. With the 1.3 firmware in place, I wish that DTS HD audio could be bitstreamed instead of having to be sent via PCM, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to live with for now, just to have 5.1 audio at all.

I'm guessing your AVR (hdmi 1.3?) won't pass through the 3D to the VIP. If you had a HDMI splitter you could send half to the VIP and the other to the AVR and restore your audio.
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SgtVideo wrote:
Rolls-Royce wrote:

I'm guessing your AVR (hdmi 1.3?) won't pass through the 3D to the VIP. If you had a HDMI splitter you could send half to the VIP and the other to the AVR and restore your audio.

Actually, I have the VIP before the AVR, since my CRT RPTV won't accept a 720p signal, and I have to use the Reon in the receiver to scale to 1080i or 480p. I've been switching back and forth between those resolutions to see which gives a better picture overall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: