Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Oak Knoll Cinema
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just got my new drivers in for my wedge surrounds. They are the same drivers Klipsch uses in its THX system.

I am thinking 2x6.5" drivers per wedge with a horn overtop to match the orientation of my front speakers.

It will be similar to these wedges but with 2 x 6.5" drivers instead of 1 x 10" driver.

I have two B&C 250 compression drivers leftover from my main speaker build (don't ask) and am considering just picking up 2 more to make it an all B&C 250 theater or if going to the Selenium 2500Ti-Nd or a Celestion CD as a comparable solution for less money.

I would like to go with the Pyle Pro PH612 or equivalent horn to make these speakers smaller as they will serve 100% surround duty only.

Also...I need to figure out a crossover for this combination...either that or I just put in the standard eWave crossover and see how they sound?

I am not looking for much thump from these...just clear and articulate surround reproduction.

Thoughts?
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this while surfing today...

http://www.vipidme.com/watch/811693e49eeb3401647c2ff4552fdd48d79/

I think it is pretty sweet. I haven't quite figured out the pricing structure but it seems pretty reasonable to me for the different intros you can get. This one was created for FREE with my basic account.
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty awesome, Greg. I am going to try that also.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I need to determine the best way to populate my rack.

I have a Mid Atlantic Slim 5-29U rack.

Here is how I think I should put them in the rack from top to bottom (xxxx = 1U spacer):

BR - 2U
xxxx - 1U
HDDVD - 2U
xxxx - 1U
xxxx - 1U
Receiver - 4U
xxxx - 1U
Power Center - 2U
xxxx - 1U
NEC ISS - 3U
xxxx - 1U
BFD - 1U
xxxx - 1U
Amp - 2U
xxxx - 1U
Amp - 2U
xxxx - 1U
Amp - 2U

That puts quite a bit of weight down low which I want (I just put it up on casters so top heavy isn't a good idea) and puts the power center toward the center with the major heat source (Receiver) with some space to breathe above it. All spaces are full.

Any thoughts?
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot about MA's Rack Tools.

How does this look?

dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
I completely forgot about MA's Rack Tools.

How does this look?

Drool Thumbs Up

You've got the room for that tall of a rack? Drooling and jealous. Looks damn good.

I'm going to have to relocate all of my equipment for my new screen next year. It will all be horizontal below the screen but behind a curtain.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the equipment into one of my cheapy Walmart racks when I redid my screen wall because I was contemplating building out the corner and building a rack...but I figured that I already had the MA rack and just bought some wheels and am contemplating either spending the $200 to get some sidepanels and trim for it or building my own side panels (1/4" ply with some trim?) and then thinking about a door.

You can see where the current rack is and it is the same spot the MA rack is going.

I just put those cabinets in and they aren't trimmed out yet either (handles, toekick, etc.).

Last edited by greg_mitch on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on the last post...I did put some recent additions into the theater. (because we were having some people over)

The project took over my garage for 4 days but it only snowed once so we lucked out...and it made clearing the driveway easy (just back the cars off the drive and push the edges off to the grass).

That turned into cabinets for the "lobby" (popcorn machine, candy, etc.).

Cabinets for main movie area and trash/recycling.

I got a 36" sink base and I am going to cut two holes (one 4" and one 8") for garbage and recycling through the counter! Shocked My wife's idea and I thought it was pretty sweet.

I picked up some "trash chute rings" from www.katom.com and will eventually get the sawzall out to rip a few holes in the $40 countertop. It should turn out pretty cool and completely unnecessary! Thumbs Up

In an effort to clean up the screen wall I did drape some fabric to cover the bottom portion and didn't get to cover the top portion before people showed up...oh well. This is an excuse to have people back over (when its complete).

(yes pretty obvious I haven't moved the projector since moving the screenwall forward!)

I do have some sad news though...just as we were finishing up some upstairs cleaning my wife looks up from vacuuming and asks me if something is burning. "Don't smell it," I said. Then I realized that I left my screen wall lights on because I was messing with the receiver and projector getting stuff setup for some demos...

I frantically ran downstairs and the entire basement had a 2 foot deep layer from the ceiling down filled with a light hazy smoke! I immediately ran to the theater door and hit the lights and then had to run around through storage to get to behind the screen wall....I heard crackling...I pushed open the access door and I saw this!

That is a halogen puck light sitting directly against the front baffle of one of my speakers! I yanked the light away from the speaker and ran to grab a wash rag and got it sopping wet. I put the crackling wood out and examined the damage. It looks pretty bad...

I got lucky....really damn lucky. It didn't go through the baffle all the way so the speaker is fine and it didn't catch anything around it on fire! I can't believe I was so stupid to mount these lights like this:

Either way...I opened up a window and turned on the bathroom fan and blamed the smell on burnt popcorn and no one knew any different...mostly because you can't see the speakers behind the screen.

I had these in my computer for some time...actually I think Gary Murrell is involved with this somehow! I printed a few on "metallic" paper from www.ezprints.com and got some $2 frames from Walmart...not sure where I am going to hang them but I have the images if anyone wants them...

I have a few more but Wally World ran out of the frames I was using...have to wait...

I got the HF part of my proposed econoWaveWedge speakers for my surrounds. Not sure of the driver orientation but everything I am hearing now says over top for the waveguide is recommended even though it isn't how Klipsch did it.

I put the rest of my Foam Factory pieces to good use as well...

We had a good time and my theater added a few new features in the process.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to build up the rack...(avoiding a few other chores in the process) and I ran into a bump.

I just noticed at the bottom of the Onkyo 1008 there are two fans. I am going to set the receiver on a shelf and was anticipating taking the feet off the Onkyo so that it would take up 4U spaces instead of 4.5U spaces and screw up the spacing of my components.

Any thoughts? I was contemplating cutting some ventilation holes into my shelf so that if the fans ever came on the airflow wouldn't be restricted.

Rack is building out nicely. I need to sell a few clamping shelves and then get a few 2U shelves for my BR player and miscellaneous items. Maybe a DVD shelf too for the quick grab reference discs.

LandoM

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cut the holes in the cabinet for the Onkyo fans, will there be enough space between the Pure component below or would adding a spacer vent between them help? I don't know the correct term but the 'spacer vents' are the 4 ventilated covers you have on the rack between some of you components. Overall the pictures of your theater look great and it's coming together well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: