Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

hushbox - cover on or off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: hushbox - cover on or off? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
i'm getting close to the hushbox stage of the HT rebuild project and i know myself well enough to realize that i will plan out the hushbox to death so if i want this done before my lungs give out, i need to start planning now.

i want to build a shaped one - not a extreme as the Italian monument to beauty posted here, but more like Kal's that follows the profile.

so... do i build it so that the case remains on the PJ, or designed so that the case is off.

case on advantages:
    - the PJ cooling flow was designed with the case on so i shouldn't mess with that
    - i won't have to find a place to store the damn case Smile

case off advantages:
    - smaller hush box possible
    - better final look as i can fit the hushbox closer to the PJ shape
    - easier to work on the PJ as i won't have to open the hushbox and then remove the case

i'm really leaning toward case off, but don't want to mess with the cooling because even though i will have a fan sucking air out, the PJ was obviously designed to be pulling air in from the sides/front and a hush box will just be sucking in at the front and exhausting out the back.

perhaps sucking in past the lens and over the boards is better than in the sides. does anyone know?

thanks

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got an XG right?

When I had one for few months I was going to hushbox it too and looked at the fans closely to see how the airflow was designed to work.

My conclusion was that airflow's not really designed in an XG. The engineers simply popped in a bunch of fans where they thought they'd be needed. Lotsa turbulence.

I'd run it with the cover off - it'll probably cool better.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
You've got an XG right?

yep
[quote=kal]My conclusion was that airflow's not really designed in an XG. The engineers simply popped in a bunch of fans where they thought they'd be needed. Lotsa turbulence.

I'd run it with the cover off - it'll probably cool better.
Kal[/quote]
thanks. i keep meaning to take some light paper and seeing which vents suck and which blow, but it sounds like you already did it.
"popped in a bunch of fans" brrrrr - design by luck...

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kal.
I don't think PJ manufacturers design the flow path based on fluid dynamic analysis.

Furthermore, with all electronic components, wires, cables, have you any idea of the turbulence inside?

If you have any doubts place a couple of temperature probes with digital display near the potentially "hot" components and monitor them.

Furthermore I don't even think engineers design the cooling system considering whether the PJ is floor mounted or ceiling mounted.
The flow of the heat changes in those 2 cases.

You also have to consider that in case you can't set-up the PJ with your remote (since some functions would be accessible directly on the PJ) you would need to provide access to the PJ keyboard.

On the plus side you can choose larger fans or a more powerful cooling system that would extend the life of your electronics.

Just my €0,02 Mr. Green

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." O. Wilde
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some temperature measurements awhile back with my BG 1209s and with the top fiberglass cover of it ran a full 20 degrees cooler .
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
I did some temperature measurements awhile back with my BG 1209s and with the top fiberglass cover of it ran a full 20 degrees cooler .

I'm surprised at that since with the Barco 808/1208/1209 series, the fiberglass case doesn't do much other than make the projector look nice. There's a whole other aluninum case underneath it!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Z-Photo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing on the 120* series - if you ceiling mount the PJ it is better to reverse the fan located over the tubes - so that you are blowing cool air up and not trying to force hot air down..
The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z-Photo wrote:
One thing on the 120* series - if you ceiling mount the PJ it is better to reverse the fan located over the tubes - so that you are blowing cool air up and not trying to force hot air down..

Hey Pete, have you tested this to see if the convergence tray is actually cooler that way? Would be easy to do just be monitoring the temp of the heatsink on the convergence output board. Cool idea though. May suggest that to some 120x owners.

Dave
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Z-Photo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not by measurement - mine runs stone cold anyway. Recapping had a good bit to do with that (new 105c caps run a lot cooler)
The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurizio Prandi wrote:
I agree with Kal.
I don't think PJ manufacturers design the flow path based on fluid dynamic analysis.

Furthermore, with all electronic components, wires, cables, have you any idea of the turbulence inside?

between the time of year, getting the flu and focussing on the "room" part of this HT reno i haven't had any time to look at the hush box. sigh.

but i will design it to fit without the cover on the PJ. thanks for all the input

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: