Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Problems with Onkyo Dv Cp704 disc changer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrFreedom

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Problems with Onkyo Dv Cp704 disc changer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have had this unit for a few years now and it has always given me a problem by freezing up on me. In the 3 and a half years I've had it, I might have put 30 hrs on it because of the problem. Well I finally put nose to the grind stone and figure the thing out. If anyone out there has a freeze up problem with this unit, it most likely lies with the front panel switches. I found this to be my problem.

I knew I had a short somewhere but didn't know exactly where. BTW, Onkyo's customer service sucks!! I emailed them numerous times about the problem and never did get an answer. That's another colored horse. Anyway, I open the unit up (it was given to me and was out of warranty anyway) and took the front panel off but left it wired so I could trace the short. Just take off the cover and and turn the unit over, remove the three screws on the bottom. Then remove the three screws on the inside back of the panel, depress the two clips and drop the front panel down. This will give you access to the circuit boards in the panel itself. What I found using a voltmeter was that the current going to the ko's were fluctuating badly and when I depressed a button, the processor didn't have enough current to operate and would freeze up. So I took the circuit boards out and looked them over. They looked good with no problems so I figured the short had to be coming from the switches. So I unsoldered and removed all the switches that go to the open/close board and the on/off board, figuring to use the remote and do nothing manually. I then replaced the boards and powered up the unit. Voila!! No more problems. I just use my remote for all operation. Everything is working perfectly for the first time since I had this player.

I have read of many people having this problem with this unit as I was having so I'm pretty sure that the switches have an inherent problem on this model. Right now I don't have any switches in the front panel except the stop button (to use to reset if need be) and the disc buttons. I have ordered replacements and will let you know if the are compatible when they arrive. I love my Onkyo, the way it up scales SD DVDs on it's HDMI connection so I just couldn't let it go. More than one technician told me to junk it and get a new one but I didn't want to spend the bucks and I'm glad I didn't. I have a PS3 for Blu-ray discs and, believe it or not, the Onkyo up scales SD DVDs better that the PS3. Also the sound is superior to most players I have heard. So for about 9 hours work, I saved myself $100-$200. It's a good day.

Hitachi 55hdx99 Plasma
Outlaw Audio PrePro 990
Outlaw Audio 7200 Amp
Orb Audio Mod2 7.1 Speaker Sys
DIRECTV HR20700 HD DVR Satellite Receiver
Onkyo DV CP704 DVD 6 Disc Changer
Sony PS3 80G BluRay Game Console
Furman PM Pro Series II Power Conditioner
Blue Jean Cables and Connects
NXG NX-RM505 Learning Remote Control
MrFreedom

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this problem. I had to remove ALL the switches (even the stop and disc switches). The short seems to follow down the switch line so remove them all. I just use my remote now and haven't had any more problems. Someday I'll replace the switches but for now, if it ain't broke... If you do want to replace the switches, I found and ordered them from Alltronics in San Martin, Cali. I ordered them from their online outlet. $20 for 100. Or if you send me your address, I'll be glad to send you the 20 you'll need for free. I have 80 left. Hope this helps.

Hitachi 55hdx99 Plasma
Outlaw Audio PrePro 990
Outlaw Audio 7200 Amp
David ET

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exact same problem, so I guess I have to remove the switches. Any updates since October?!
I can not reset since switches do not work (neither does remote)

Well the only switches that work are (power button - ONLY TO TURN ON)
Or open button (to turn on and open at same time) , but then I have to manually close (by pushing the CD changer in)

Only way to turn off is to unplug.
MrFreedom

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take all the switches out of the front panel as they all go bad. I just use my remote control now and have had no more problems. I never bothered to put new switches in. Works great now.

Once you take the switches out and power up, you won't need to reset it.

David ET wrote:
I have exact same problem, so I guess I have to remove the switches. Any updates since October?!
I can not reset since switches do not work (neither does remote)

Well the only switches that work are (power button - ONLY TO TURN ON)
Or open button (to turn on and open at same time) , but then I have to manually close (by pushing the CD changer in)

Only way to turn off is to unplug.

Hitachi 55hdx99 Plasma
Outlaw Audio PrePro 990
Outlaw Audio 7200 Amp
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: