Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone try the current M-card products with HTPC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Anyone try the current M-card products with HTPC? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Products like the Ceton infiniTV 4, or the Silicon Dust HDhomerun?

DirecTV gave up on the HTPC solution a year ago, and for some (me) this was a long awaited product. The current move by cable TV, dbs and IPTV providers (e.g. U-verse) is to move to whole-house solutions that just cannot do the job in terms of my household's need for storage capacity of HD programming.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OTA HDHomerun that I've been using for years. I also have a HDHomerun Prime on order and a cable card ready when it comes in. I'll be connecting to Comcast...I really like the idea of keeping the tuner card out of the PC, this way any Windows 7 PC on my network can be a HD digital cable box.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, how is storage handled if it is outside the PC?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the HD Homerun dual tuner ATSC/QAM tuner. In Windows 7 it can pull QAM cable channels also. It acts merely as a tuner for the 7MC boxes so the storage is local to each machine that "logs into" the tuner. It shows up on the network and any computer on the network that is properly setup can get one of the tuners.

I am using a Hauppauge 2250 in my main HTPC and it has dual tuners also and they are both QAM so I can get 4xOTA HD or 4xCable at any one time. It is pretty slick.

If Mediacom didn't want to ream you for a cable card (digital cable) I would definitely get a HDHomerun Prime...but I heard the Ceton cards were coming down in price a LOT recently (something like less than $300 for the 4xtuner). That would be really cool to be able to timeshift those channels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: