Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

1 Gigabit Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: 1 Gigabit Switch Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I need a 24 channel 1 gigabit switch with PoE for the ip surveillance camera system I'm installing in my pawn shop. Tech support for the server I bought said to be sure each port has 1 gigabit bandwidth. I don't know anything about switches. How do I determine a switch meets this requirement?
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
This is total bull****. You do not need a gigabyte network for your cameras unless your planning on installing 50 or 60 mega pixel cameras, 100 meg is more than enough. I really like that they told you that you need 1 gig per port as if each camera is going to need a gig of bandwidth. What model of NUUO unit do you have and how many analog cameras are connected to it and how many IP cameras are you planning to connect? I will call the factory rep on Monday and get you the correct info.
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How expensive was your equipment? The IP stuff isn't cheap. We use Nuvico DVRs and all we have to do is plug the DVR into the network. The cameras wire back to the DVR using siamese cables.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, it's possible the cameras use cheap non-negotiating network circuitry and can ONLY talk to gig ports. (I've worked with some computer equipment like that.) But that seems pretty unlikely.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I called NUUO again and I misunderstood them. The switch needs to have a GB port for the server. Not sure why, as my 4080s has a bandwidth of 65 MB.

This Netgear switch has four 1GB ports. Is this good enough for my application: http://www.google.com/search?q=NETGEAR+ProSafe+FS728TP&hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f

I may eventually have 16 cameras. At the moment I don't need but maybe 4 2MP cameras and the rest 1MP. But since they don't cost that more than 1MP, I may buy all 3MP cameras. I can still run them at 1MP, and once servers are available with more bandwidth, I can run them at a higher MP rate.

I know this may seem like overkill, but I think it will be a great deterrent for employee theft, so it's well worth it to me. I'll make sure they see in how much detail they're being monitored.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check out the 8mp cameras. You can really zoom in with those puppies.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
phishin_ca

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Dan, I called NUUO again and I misunderstood them. The switch needs to have a GB port for the server. Not sure why, as my 4080s has a bandwidth of 65 MB.

This Netgear switch has four 1GB ports. Is this good enough for my application: http://www.google.com/search?q=NETGEAR+ProSafe+FS728TP&hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f

I may eventually have 16 cameras. At the moment I don't need but maybe 4 2MP cameras and the rest 1MP. But since they don't cost that more than 1MP, I may buy all 3MP cameras. I can still run them at 1MP, and once servers are available with more bandwidth, I can run them at a higher MP rate.

I know this may seem like overkill, but I think it will be a great deterrent for employee theft, so it's well worth it to me. I'll make sure they see in how much detail they're being monitored.

Personally I would stay far away from the netgear products, they are nothing but trouble. A HP Procurve can be had for $350 and has a lifetime warranty. I have even seen them replaced after lightning strikes take a look at this one: V1810-24G : It is also fully managed so you can get port statistics as well as vlan capability
Shawn
phishin_ca

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh waith that was not POE.. sorry
phishin_ca

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V1905-24-PoE is the first POE Procurve, about $450. It would still be my preference
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wish I had waited. I wasn't getting any recommendations so I pulled the trigger. I did do some research and decided against Netgear and dlink. I went with Cisco: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400186586391

But I would have gone with HP. I bought and sold used notebooks in the past, and I get a lot of them now thru my shop. Their customer support is excellent.
phishin_ca

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cisco is by far my first preference, but people get turned off by the pricing usually. I sell tons(literally) of cisco gear and never have problems. Most of my techs love them too.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phishin_ca wrote:
Cisco is by far my first preference, but people get turned off by the pricing usually. I sell tons(literally) of cisco gear and never have problems. Most of my techs love them too.

The unit I bought wasn't any more expensive than a similar Netgear switch. That kind of worried me.
NumeroUno

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when would having a 1gb switch be beneficial.

I am going to be building a htpc with synology nas server that will be hooked up to my plasma tv. Would I benefit from having that along with a laptop and pc connected to my network?
rule76

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@numerouno, it would benefit mostly with file transfers or if you are using a server to send video across the network. Some people will use their desktop to rip dvd's or even blu-rays to a repository on the network. To be served to the htpc/front end for playback. You don't want any bottlenecks when you have your friends over to watch a movie and your pr0n downloads are still running.

So your needs could benefit from a 1gb switch provided all the other ports that are connected are 1gb as well. 1gb switch and 10/100mb ports will do you no good.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP Procurve network gear is pretty nice, had an old 10/100 switch that I bought for $30 years ago and it worked flawless til I installed it into someone elses home.

I now run a couple 3Com SuperStack III 24-port managed network switches. However, these units are old, and the need for a gigabit network in my home is getting more and more prevalant than ever.

So you know, (incase you didn't, and not that it matters anyway) 3Com was bought out by HP, personally I thought even before the merger, that 3Com, HP, and Cisco were all great products. I've never had any issues with any of those brands.

I do admit to using a much newer WNDRXXXX (Not allowed to say as per netgear NDA since product is not yet released) Netgear router, but honestly its been working perfect, which it should for the pricetag that would have been on it had I not been a beta tester of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: