Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Various HTPC and CRT PJ set up questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdenkicks

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Various HTPC and CRT PJ set up questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys

Sorry for the slightly ambiguous thread title, just dont have the room to be more specific!

Ok so I have a sony 1271 CRT and a HTPC running windows XP with an old radeon 9000 AGP video card.

Connected via RGBHV from the VGA output on the PC.

I want to run 1280x720p @ 48hz (Advised to use 48hz here: http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/Sony_1270Q_CRT_Projector_Setup_Manual_April.pdf as it minimises bandwidth and results in a better picture clarity, apparently) and the HTPC will be my only source, apart from the Wii console which I'll hookup via composite down the track.

So all of my material will either be 16:9 or 2.35:1. My current setup is like this:

HTPC out = 1280x720 @ 48Hz
Via RGBHV cable to PJ
PJ raster height set to absolute minimum to get it down to around a 16:10 ratio.

The disadvantage of this is, I believe, that the rows of pixels are now overlapping, and its still not quite 16:9 (can anyone confirm if this would be the case?)

Now I know that I could alternatively run say 1280x960 and then just resize the video window so that its the right ratio, leaving black bars spilling over the top and bottom edge of my screen, but I'd rather be able to just set the video window to full screen when I start the movie and leave it. But the projector has other ideas, because normally when I send it 1280x720 It just stretches it out to a 4:3 ratio.

How have others got around this problem? Whats the best way to set up my projector for 720p so I get the best image quality and clarity?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get powerstrip, set your output to 1280x720 @47.9xxHz , align your projector, use the RGB controls to shrink raster, push MEMORY key on the projector to save.

OR

The 12xx series are known to resolve 600 lines in 16:9 mode so you could powerstrip 1066 x 600 @47.9xx Hz and see how you like the picture.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
rule76

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use official radeon drivers they should allow you to do what power strip does in allowing you to make custom settings.
holdenkicks

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Get powerstrip, set your output to 1280x720 @47.9xxHz , align your projector, use the RGB controls to shrink raster, push MEMORY key on the projector to save.

OR

The 12xx series are known to resolve 600 lines in 16:9 mode so you could powerstrip 1066 x 600 @47.9xx Hz and see how you like the picture.

cheers mate, already am using powerstrip to do that Smile I might give the 1066x600 res a go.

Re the radeon drivers, I am using the official ones but their ability to make custom resolutions and refresh rates is limited compared to powerstrip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: