Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

WinXP HTPC Down - Help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: WinXP HTPC Down - Help! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Got infected with fake XP Security malware. Just could not get rid of it with AVS, Malwarebytes etc. So I decided to restore from a 1 year old image backup.

-Could not restore the image.
-Used MaxBlast3 (Maxtor) and zero wrote the entire drive.
-Could not restore the image.
-Could not reload WinXP. Press Enter to instal and computer shuts down and re-boots on its own.
-Run MEMTest, Pass!
-Connect the drive to another computer and reformat and partition the drive using MaxBlast5.
-Restore the image file successfully.
-Install back in HTPC, computer gets to the second Windows screen then shuts down and re-boots, over and over again.
-Launch Ubuntu 8.0 from the CD, runs fine, internet access the whole lot. Run hardware test all pass. Can't access the HD though.

How do I force WinXP to reload? Is there a bootable HD test software out there Mad

WinXP MCE 2005, ASUS P4V800D-X, P4 3Ghz, 2 GB Mem, Maxtor 160GB HD, Samsung DVD/CD RW
View user's photo album (33 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this 'image' exactly?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just ran SeaTools (dos) and the HD passed all tests.

So why does a OS that loads all these years on virtually the exact same machine stop loading? MS built-in obsolescence? Rolling Eyes

I did change out the mother board recently and I can't remember if the image was on the new or old board.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the COA? You may need to start from scratch with a fresh install of XP. Especially if you changed mother boards

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

Norton Ghost *.v2i image.

Not sure what COA is but I do have the OEM disks MCE 2005 that I've reloaded 2-3 times over the last 8 years.

I gave up on repair a long time ago and have been trying to fresh load ever since.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Norton Ghost *.v2i image.

Not sure what COA is but I do have the OEM disks MCE 2005 that I've reloaded 2-3 times over the last 8 years.

I gave up on repair a long time ago and have been trying to fresh load ever since.

COA is Certificate Of Authenticity, its the sticker that comes with an OEM copy of Windows. It's a long shot but I wonder if something is messed up with the Master Boot Record. You can fix the MBR by going into repair console and typing "FIXMBR", without the quotes.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:

COA is Certificate Of Authenticity, its the sticker that comes with an OEM copy of Windows. It's a long shot but I wonder if something is messed up with the Master Boot Record. You can fix the MBR by going into repair console and typing "FIXMBR", without the quotes.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

Mike

I have the COA but I never get that far in the install.

If I try either install or repair the computer instantly re-boots on it's own. I get the same result from another XP install disk from my kids computer.

I've disabled anything labeled "legacy" in the bios, reset the bios to default, nothing seems to work.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

I have the COA but I never get that far in the install.

If I try either install or repair the computer instantly re-boots on it's own. I get the same result from another XP install disk from my kids computer.

I've disabled anything labeled "legacy" in the bios, reset the bios to default, nothing seems to work.

try this:

Put the hard drive in another PC, copy the WinXP install folder on the hard drive. Move the hard drive back to the PC. Unplug all but the hard drive. You can disable sound and USB/serial/parallel in the BIOS. Unplug all but the video card.

Try installing WinXP.

If it goes add on thing at a time and see what is causing the issue.

Make sure you have the BIOS set to PNP operating system

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one concludes that everything on the partition is a loss then I would load Ubuntu and use its partition manager delete and temporary create Linux partitions, and then go back (again) and remove them. That was the MBR is removed.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a power supply issue. Maybe even mother board. Many dont realize how much a bad power supply affects the operation of the PC. I could give you examples but if possible, just try another supply.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
You may have a power supply issue. Maybe even mother board. Many dont realize how much a bad power supply affects the operation of the PC. I could give you examples but if possible, just try another supply.

That was my other thought Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

I was waiting for you to say that but you were taking to long.... Very Happy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

I was waiting for you to say that but you were taking to long.... Very Happy

It was my day off. I was in no hurry. Laughing

I can see you sitting there waiting thinking "Power supply. C'mon say it. Say it!" lol

CRT.

HD done right!
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Possibly but I don't think so.

I was able to perform a full install of Ubuntu 8.0, format the entire drive, install, then go online and update it, run all the hardware diagnostics and never experience a glitch. So I find it hard to believe it is the PSU.

I re-partitioned and formatted the drive NTFS this time not exceeding the old 137GB limit on the primary.

The WinXP disk craps out (re-boot the PC) at exactly the same spot, immediately after hitting enter to install.

I know MS just stopped supporting XP SP2 I don't remember hearing that XP would stop working/installing.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait for another 20 posts and you reply you replaced the PS and its now functioning properly..... Mr. Green

Or you found some swollen caps on the MB....... Cool
rule76

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP HTPC Down - Help! Reply with quote

[quote=...Launch Ubuntu 8.0 from the CD, runs fine, internet access the whole lot. Run hardware test all pass. Can't access the HD though.

How do I force WinXP to reload? Is there a bootable HD test software out there Mad

WinXP MCE 2005, ASUS P4V800D-X, P4 3Ghz, 2 GB Mem, Maxtor 160GB HD, Samsung DVD/CD RW[/quote]

1) Even though the hd tests passed and you were successful cloning your drive in a different computer. I would, if I could try a different hard drive. Unbuntu or Knoppix does not engage the hard drive and since everything worked with the Ubuntu.
2)I would also try one memory stick at a time.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP HTPC Down - Help! Reply with quote

rule76 wrote:

1) Unbuntu or Knoppix does not engage the hard drive and since everything worked with the Ubuntu.

I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu so I don't understand. I first ran Ubuntu off the CD. Then I was able to install Ubuntu on the HD and everything ran fine.
rule76

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the install went ok. Sorry I missed that and see it now. Try the memory now.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:

The WinXP disk craps out (re-boot the PC) at exactly the same spot, immediately after hitting enter to install.

I know MS just stopped supporting XP SP2 I don't remember hearing that XP would stop working/installing.

Ok...I didn't get this from reading your other posts...Do you have another XP CD and or another CD/DVD drive? It might be a combination of marginal disk and marginal CD/DVD drive....I've seen that before, change one or the other and see if it works.

I have used nLite to splitstream SP3 on an old XP service pack nothing disk... It worked great. If worse come to worse you might try it.

http://www.nliteos.com/

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:

I have used nLite to splitstream SP3 on an old XP service pack nothing disk... It worked great. If worse come to worse you might try it.

http://www.nliteos.com/

Mike

That slipstream was pretty slick. I wish I would have known about that years ago!

Smile I was able to load the OS finally Smile

I'm 90% sure its not the PSU. I hooked up a spare and the original CD and the slipstream CD both kept re-booting the PC at the same spot.

That last thing I changed was the memory to a pair of old 512MB sticks I had laying around. I changed out to these sticks earlier in the debug cycle and they did not work, now they do. The original memory passed the memtest from memtest.org. so I don't know what to think.

Motherboard possibly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: