Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: 3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Our 3D-Displayer order page is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/3DDisplayer.shtm

3D-Displayer Firmware Update
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy to report successful testing of firmware version 1.3.

I also recommend you copy & paste to print the instructions from this thread to perform the upgrade.

A couple problems I encountered and they were on MY end, was a setting in the Sony BD player was preventing 5.1 to the AVR. In my case I discovered in the audio setting "BD audio Mix setting ON", don't know why that was enabled but after setting it to OFF all was fine. So if you run across a multichannel problem...check those settings!

Also, as mentioned in Jonathan's instructions below, you may notice facial discolorations, adjust Duty Cycle settings to clean those up. I initially had 1.5 bars and increase to 2.5 bars and got normal facial color on the Samsung DLP.

Another interesting thing is my display is reporting that I'm receiving 1080p/24/3D. In my Tron 3D the preview scenes like from Pirates of the Carribbean show up 720/60 but the main movie changes to 1080P/24. Let us know if you get the same results.

INSTRUCTIONS:
From Jonathan,

Gents,

One of you was successfully able to upgrade the firmware on the Displayer and get 5.1 Audio support. You may notice a discolouration in the image after having re-booted the system. This only means that you will need to adjust the duty cycle on the RF glasses to the new settings. You might have to increase the bar from 1 – 1.5 to 2.5 or so! I have included this in the instructions below.

HENCE, THE ABOVE IS GOOD TO GO! DO PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE INSTRUCTIONS CONTAINED BELOW ARE FORWARDED ALONG, WHEN YOU DO DISTRIBUTE IT AROUND.

Thanks for your cooperation and all the best.

I am providing you with the following zip files:

1- 3DDisplayer_upgrade_VER13_BETA

2- 3DTheatre_upgrade_VER13_BETA

3- VIP DRIVER

Please note that the Displayer upgrade is for 3D-Displayer and Theatre is for 3D-Theatre. The same Driver (3rd attachment) will function for both upgrades.

Do please remove any/all previous VIP firmware upgrade files from your computer to avoid confusion. THIS IS A BETA VERSION and your support in confirming its proper functionality is appreciated before making it public.

CAUTION:

1- Do not unplug the converter while you are in the process of upgrading your firmware.

2- Do not install Displayer firmware on 3D-Theatre or vice versa. The results may corrupt the whole firmware.

In order to install the new firmware to upgrade your converter to support 5.1 AUDIO format, please follow the said steps:

1- Extract VIP DRIVER and save contents to a VIP DRIVER FOLDER on your computer

2- Extract 3D Theatre or 3D Displayer and save contents to a 3D THEATRE or 3D DISPLAYER FOLDER on your computer

3- Install VIP DRIVER file by executing USBXpressInstaler

4- Connect your converter box to the computer via a USB cable

5- Make sure the POWER light goes on

6- Go to 3D THEATRE or 3D DISPLAYER folder and execute the VIP_Theatre_unreleased _V13_BETA_.exe or VIP_Displayer_unreleased_V13_BETA_.exe

7- You will then be asked to confirm update. Hit OK

8- Update shall commence and at the end you will receive a message that the update was successfully loaded.

9- Your new version should be 1.3

You are now ready to remove the converter and plug it to your setup to test 5.1 AUDIO support.

Do please make sure you turn your player off and restart the whole system.

Do please go to your player audio menu and reset it to HDMI – AUTOMATIC and you should see the following:

AUDIO OUTPUT FORMATS:

1- Dolby Digital 5.1 ch

2- DTS 5.1 ch

3- AAC

4- Stereo 2 ch 44.1 KHz

5- Stereo 2 ch 88.2 KHz

6- Stereo 2 ch 176.4 KHz

7- Sterio 2 ch 48 KHz

You may notice a discolouration in the image. If you do, please readjust the duty cycle on your glasses to get the correct colouration. As a hint, if you were running it around 1 – 1.5 bars, you may have to now increase it to 2.5 bars.

If you are successful (as we have been) in upgrading and testing with the said results, you may post it for others to access and upgrade. Do please make sure that the entire email with instructions and cautions is listed to avoid undesired outcomes. Any questions, please email me.

All the best and cheers!

3DDisplayer_upgrade_VER13_BETA1.zip
 Description:
You will also need the VIP Driver file as well.

Download
 Filename:  3DDisplayer_upgrade_VER13_BETA1.zip
 Filesize:  651.51 KB
 Downloaded:  920 Time(s)

SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: VIP Firmware Drive File Reply with quote

Here is the driver files to use with the firmware updater.

VIP Driver1.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  VIP Driver1.zip
 Filesize:  322.58 KB
 Downloaded:  886 Time(s)

Jorrel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question the units that a currently shipped are they updated with the current firmware???
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorrel wrote:
Just a question the units that a currently shipped are they updated with the current firmware???

The firmware wasn't approved for posting until June 3. I would guess any units shipped in transit that date or earlier are version 1.0 units.

Keep in mind that depending on how you install the VIP 3D product in your system, that if you are successful
in operating it with 5.1 multi-channel then you do not need to upgrade firmware. It repaired the 2-channel stereo limitation depending on how it was installed.

Here is Jonathan's email and maybe he can elaborate when it became incorporated in production units on hand.

jonathan.alexander@3D-VIP.com
eyeman23

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3 Reply with quote

SgtVideo wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS:
From Jonathan,

Do please go to your player audio menu and reset it to HDMI – AUTOMATIC and you should see the following:

AUDIO OUTPUT FORMATS:

1- Dolby Digital 5.1 ch

2- DTS 5.1 ch

3- AAC

4- Stereo 2 ch 44.1 KHz

5- Stereo 2 ch 88.2 KHz

6- Stereo 2 ch 176.4 KHz

7- Sterio 2 ch 48 KHz

All the best and cheers!

Im curious as to why DTS HD MA and dolby True HD are not listed above as an output format?
Is the VIP not able to pass these through to the receiver?
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3 Reply with quote

eyeman23 wrote:
SgtVideo wrote:

INSTRUCTIONS:
From Jonathan,

AUDIO OUTPUT FORMATS:

1- Dolby Digital 5.1 ch

2- DTS 5.1 ch

3- AAC

4- Stereo 2 ch 44.1 KHz

5- Stereo 2 ch 88.2 KHz

6- Stereo 2 ch 176.4 KHz

7- Sterio 2 ch 48 KHz

All the best and cheers!

Im curious as to why DTS HD MA and dolby True HD are not listed above as an output format?
Is the VIP not able to pass these through to the receiver?

These are first generation VIP products and because of the memory limitation in the current versions 5.1 is the max for audio support. The next generation will have additional upgrading and will support 7.1. It's my understanding we will be given a reasonable exchange for our old units for those who might wish to upgrade. Possible release is late summer early fall. DTS HD/TRUE HD have 6.1, 7.1 in their transport design and end up being blocked for now.

If you are 7.1 capable you can still configure your connections and put the VIP product downstream from the AVR and have your normal audio.

I.E.: Blu-Ray>AVR>VIP>Video Display
eyeman23

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3 Reply with quote

Sgtvideo wrote:

These are first generation VIP products and because of the memory limitation in the current versions 5.1 is the max for audio support. The next generation will have additional upgrading and will support 7.1. It's my understanding we will be given a reasonable exchange for our old units for those who might wish to upgrade. Possible release is late summer early fall. DTS HD/TRUE HD have 6.1, 7.1 in their transport design and end up being blocked for now.

If you are 7.1 capable you can still configure your connections and put the VIP product downstream from the AVR and have your normal audio.

Hmm that to me is deal breaker. I can live with watching 3d movies with a lossy soundtrack, but having to remove the vip each time even for watching 2d movies is a bit much.
That setup you described probably wont work for most people because you would need to have a 3d capable receiver i'd assume? Or possibly also a 3d ready PJ?
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3 Reply with quote

eyeman23 wrote:
Sgtvideo wrote:

Hmm that to me is deal breaker. I can live with watching 3d movies with a lossy soundtrack, but having to remove the vip each time even for watching 2d movies is a bit much.
That setup you described probably wont work for most people because you would need to have a 3d capable receiver i'd assume? Or possibly also a 3d ready PJ?

I'm not sure why you consider DTS 5.1 a lossy soundtrack. I'm just a user of this product trying to help folks get it working.

You do not have to remove it unless it is powered off to watch 2D.

Before the upgrade to get 5.1 multichannel, I used digital coax from my Sony 3D BD player and at that time I was using a Yamaha HDMI 1.3a AVR. Which worked in example above fine as long as I didn't want 7.1 HD and such.

Shortly later I replaced the Yamaha with a Pioneer VSX33 which is 1.4 (3D) capable and added 2 additional speakers. I still use the above configuration to get 7.1 since the VIP does not pass it through at this time.

The purpose of the VIP product was to be able to make a non-3D projector/display produce a 3D image. I think your forgetting the concept behind it.

What equipment are you trying to use with this?

If I run across some additional info for your thread I will certainly update it.

Hope I haven't muddled this up for you...G'day.
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to VIP HDMI 1.3 AVRs will pass the 3D signal. Other sources state:

"Since HDMI 1.3 can’t handle two 1080p pictures at that speed, you’ll get two 1080i pictures."

Also try support@3D-VIP.com.
eyeman23

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3 Reply with quote

SgtVideo wrote:
eyeman23 wrote:
Sgtvideo wrote:

I'm not sure why you consider DTS 5.1 a lossy soundtrack. I'm just a user of this product trying to help folks get it working.

You do not have to remove it unless it is powered off to watch 2D.

Before the upgrade to get 5.1 multichannel, I used digital coax from my Sony 3D BD player and at that time I was using a Yamaha HDMI 1.3a AVR. Which worked in example above fine as long as I didn't want 7.1 HD and such.

Shortly later I replaced the Yamaha with a Pioneer VSX33 which is 1.4 (3D) capable and added 2 additional speakers. I still use the above configuration to get 7.1 since the VIP does not pass it through at this time.

The purpose of the VIP product was to be able to make a non-3D projector/display produce a 3D image. I think your forgetting the concept behind it.

What equipment are you trying to use with this?

If I run across some additional info for your thread I will certainly update it.

Hope I haven't muddled this up for you...G'day.

I understand you're just a user of this product trying to help people, didnt mean to sound rude. Just saying that the lack of audio capabilty may be a deal breaker for me.

DTS 5.1 is a compressed, lossy audio am i not right? thats what they had on DVD's. Only DTS HD MA and Dolby true HD are lossless audios. I thought you said the VIP will block anything above 5.1 audio (lossy having 6.1 and 7.1 in transport design)

What I gather from your post was that you have to place the VIP after the receiver in order to get the lossy audios, as the VIP will block the lossy audios. is his right?

I mean, that's all good and will most probably work okay for 2d movies, but i doubt that setup will allow someone to play 3d movies, unless they have a 3d capable receiver which im not willing to fork out for (yet)

I would bet that most people place the VIP unit between their BD player and receiver. The only way you're going to get lossy audio in this way is if you use multichannel analog out from your bd player straight to your receiver for audio. Too bad for PS3 owners it doesnt have these analog outs.

i guess one thing i may have overlooked is can the VIP pass through dts hd ma or dolby true hd as bitstream?
if so, then it might still work ok

"The purpose of the VIP product was to be able to make a non-3D projector/display produce a 3D image. I think your forgetting the concept behind it."

i understand that but i dont want to give up the HD audio for the sake of watching 3d movies, which would be very infrequent too.
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 3D-Displayer Firmware Update v1.3 Reply with quote

I understand you're just a user of this product trying to help people, didnt mean to sound rude. Just saying that the lack of audio capabilty may be a deal breaker for me.

No you weren't considered being rude.

DTS 5.1 is a compressed, lossy audio am i not right? thats what they had on DVD's. Only DTS HD MA and Dolby true HD are lossless audios. I thought you said the VIP will block anything above 5.1 audio (lossy having 6.1 and 7.1 in transport design)

Well I don't really know, wish I had a clearer understanding of that aspect. But before the advent of DTS HD/True HD I think as far as movies I can't remember anyone hearing defects in it. Outside of purists, I am not sure anyone could really hear losses unless the compression scheme was very aggressive. Some of the blind tests done by the industry have indicated that. See Wikipedia.

If there is something inferior about the DTS5.1 format by all means educate me on that. To me at this point it provides 5 discrete channels to surround and 1 to subwoofer. When folks decide to rip disks they have the option to compress things even more so, in the end the higher the bit-rate the more accurate the replay rendition.

What I gather from your post was that you have to place the VIP after the receiver in order to get the lossy audios, as the VIP will block the lossy audios. is his right?

No, VIP in their installation guide highly recommends that configuration. I did it because I wanted 7.1 now, since my AVR was replaced and added additional speakers. VIP's current hardware/firmware design is just not capable of passing the additional audio channels above 5.1; so I did a work-around instead.

I mean, that's all good and will most probably work okay for 2d movies, but i doubt that setup will allow someone to play 3d movies, unless they have a 3d capable receiver which im not willing to fork out for (yet)

I would bet that most people place the VIP unit between their BD player and receiver. The only way you're going to get lossy audio in this way is if you use multichannel analog out from your bd player straight to your receiver for audio. Too bad for PS3 owners it doesnt have these analog outs.

No, when I installed it that way I used the "digital coax" connection from the BD player to my non-3D AVR, a PS3 user could use his "digital optical out" and do the same thing. Some might place it before the AVR as well so they can rescale the 720P 3D to 1080 but be limited to 5.1 audio.

i guess one thing i may have overlooked is can the VIP pass through dts hd ma or dolby true hd as bitstream?
if so, then it might still work ok.

No, as stated earlier those two formats exceed the current channel bandwidth of the present design.

The next generation version called Theater+ will have 1080P/60 capability but 6.1/7.1 audio is still pending at this time.

Also supplement your research with these threads if you haven't already. I read all these before I made my decision to purchase.

Hopefully we can get your questions resolved so you can make the right decision for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1323736

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1323631
eyeman23

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the explainations.

I suppose i did expect a bit too much from the VIP, i mean after all, like you said it is merely to convert your non 3d display into a 3d display. I guess it made no promises about not having to buy a 3d receiver for audio.

FYI, if I use optical on the ps3, the best audio i can get will still only be regualr DTS and regular dolby as it is limited to 1.5Mb/s. DTS HD MA and dolby true HD can only be passed via HDMI due to the larger bit rate it requires, being a lossless format. Now wether or not you can hear the difference between the 2 is debatable, I certainly think i can, on my $2500 system.

sitting on the fence for now, any idea when the new models will come out?
raytoms

TV/Projector: JVC 950 D-ILA projector

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: 3D Displayer upgrade Reply with quote

I seem to be limited to Stereo in 3D mode.

How do I check the current version of my 3D Displayer?

SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Displayer upgrade Reply with quote

raytoms wrote:
I seem to be limited to Stereo in 3D mode.

How do I check the current version of my 3D Displayer?

Sounds like you have version 1.0.

Download and install the firmware update for the Displayer.

Be sure to follow Jonathan's instructions to avoid damaging your firmware.

During the update process it will report your present firmware version after completion
it will give you a msg. about successful image of of version 1.3.

Let us know of your results.

Last edited by SgtVideo on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeman23 wrote:
thanks for the explainations.

I suppose i did expect a bit too much from the VIP, i mean after all, like you said it is merely to convert your non 3d display into a 3d display. I guess it made no promises about not having to buy a 3d receiver for audio.

FYI, if I use optical on the ps3, the best audio i can get will still only be regualr DTS and regular dolby as it is limited to 1.5Mb/s. DTS HD MA and dolby true HD can only be passed via HDMI due to the larger bit rate it requires, being a lossless format. Now wether or not you can hear the difference between the 2 is debatable, I certainly think i can, on my $2500 system. sitting on the fence for now, any idea when the new models will come out?

I still don't believe you need a 3D receiver. If your present AVR which you state is non-3D and has the HDMI1.3 interface then it should pass the 3D signal downstream to the Theater device. Here is a an article from High Def Digest which shows it works but with some reduce video (1080P changed to 1080I). You should be able to do the same thing I did by to get TRUE HD if you desire that by going PS3>AVR>VIP>DISPLAY.

The PS3 it seems from reading various threads is temperamental compared to just using regular BD 3D players. The gentleman on the AVS Forum who was the first to review the pre-release version of Theater explained his technique to get the PS3 established in the installation.

HDMI1.3 from High Def Digest:
"In fact, any device that has a method for updating the firmware can be kicked up to support the new format. Cable set-top boxes and satellite receivers included.

Like most things though, the 3D update for already existing HDMI 1.3 products comes with a catch, and it’s a catch in the form of reduced video quality. While HDMI 1.4 cables and devices will be capable of shooting out 3D pictures in full 1080p, HDMI 1.3 just can’t handle it.

The problem is that for a 3D picture, two images have to be shown nearly simultaneously. Since HDMI 1.3 can’t handle two 1080p pictures at that speed, you’ll get two 1080i pictures. It’s not a huge downgrade when all is said and done. The real clincher comes with TV signals.

Since cable boxes normally show a 1080i image, they’ll be stepped down to 540i to handle 3D. With HDMI 1.3 cable boxes, you’ll have the choice between HD and 3D, but not both."

I meant in respect to whether DTS sounded lossy or not.

If you meant comparing DTS5.1 to DTS HD indeed there is large difference.

Probable release date for Theater+ is late summer/early fall. AT this time 6.1/7.1 audio is still pending, issues still needing to be solved in pushing that wider audio bandwidth through the device. Hopefully by then it will be worked out.
Jorrel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jonathon the installation instructions that you provided is clear and simple...I will set it up later can't wait.
raytoms

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Have installed 1.3 and now have DTS and Dolby 5.1
2. Still have a problem that the PS3 will not play 2D disks. There is no output from the Player/3D Displayer when a disk is loaded, or started from stop. Have to remove the Displayer from the system, then reset the video display in the PS3, to watch 2D disks.
3. I just realised that when this works, the PS3 will probably not play HD audio for 2D disks as the setup for 3D will apply to both 2D and 3D with standard DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1.
4. Thanks for new instructions for the emitter dongle. Not sure whether the Phase works as described i.e. one phase if using 1st three red leds, change phase if you go past the centre. No matter how many LEDs are lit, my glasses seem to beout of phase (i.e. correct 3D when glasses turned upside down).

Jorrel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raytoms wrote:
2. Still have a problem that the PS3 will not play 2D disks. There is no output from the Player/3D Displayer when a disk is loaded, or started from stop. Have to remove the Displayer from the system, then reset the video display in the PS3, to watch 2D disks.
3. I just realised that when this works, the PS3 will probably not play HD audio for 2D disks as the setup for 3D will apply to both 2D and 3D with standard DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1.
4. Thanks for new instructions for the emitter dongle. Not sure whether the Phase works as described i.e. one phase if using 1st three red leds, change phase if you go past the centre. No matter how many LEDs are lit, my glasses seem to beout of phase (i.e. correct 3D when glasses turned upside down).

That's what occurred to me I had to remove the displayer and reset the display to get the 2d movies to work.....
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raytoms wrote:

I don't have a PS3 so my help is limited.

1. Is your Displayer installed before or after the AVR?

2. When the Displayer is installed with your PS3 and 3D is functioning, is there a video menu option that enables/disables
3D? If so, without removing Displayer, disable PS3 3D, now try playing a 2D movie.
raytoms

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The installation sequence is:PS3, Displayer, AVR (I presume you mean my A/V Receiver). If teh Dispayer is after the AVR, the PS3 can't see it.

2. There soes not seem to be any choice of ourput. If the PS3 sees the 3D device, the menus change to reflect that, but you can't choose to ignore it.

3. Any thoughts on the Phase setting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: