Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How to carpet top of a riser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: How to carpet top of a riser? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have my riser framed and insulated with the plywood top going on later this week. I’m planning to carpet the entire riser and since the plywood top will have a 2.5” overhang running around the permieter I will be able to use LED lighting. Securing carpet to the sides of the base seems rather straightforward but I’m wondering how to carpet the 5/8” plywood top.
I
s it just a matter of making proper relief cuts or are there any tricks/suggestions to make this easier?

Thanks,

Justin
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed an oak nosing on the riser which allowed enough overhang for an led strip to be invisible and it had enough elevation to smoothly allow the carpet to butt up against it. I used a 1X8 for the riser but this portion could be carpeted instead if you wish to. It turned out beautifully.

Bob
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's have some pictures guys.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My entire HT floor and riser is carpeted with nice high traffic industrial grade (office) decorative carpet squares 24"x24". I decided to go this route because A) I got a great deal on 8 cases from a private sale and 2) It IS a basement and subject to the unthinkable nasties of backed up plumbing, a failed sump pump, or C) Plumbing breaking upstairs. The squares are comfortable to walk on with a built in high density pad but definately isn't as cushy as carpeting with a standalone pad. That's OK tho. Sound absorption is good from it too.

My HT is at the end of the house with the sump pump in it which is closeted in and soundproofed. The floor grades toward the sump by design so yeah, that's how I decided to go.

If any of them gets wet, I pull it up, take it outside, shampoo and hose it off, let it dry in the sun and then put it back down with butyl caulk.

I used half round oak run through the router table with a 3/4" grooving bit that alows the trim to fit over the MDF deck and carpet. My lighting is actually built into the riser base. I cut 6"x1" 'bridge' reliefs to let the light out and shine onto the carpet...which absorbs quite a bit so there's no shine to the screen. I ran the wiring for the second sub and the power for the lighting, and also the transformers for the two front King and Queen seating that has 2 zone vibe massage and a thermoelectric cooler inside each left armrest (that holds 6 can's or 6 bottles of your favorite beverage). There's also a mini phone inside each right armrest but I don't (and won't) wire them up. The carpet squares seemed like a good idea for the riser more so than the floor because it stands a greater chance of having a beverage knocked over while fumbling for it in the dark so I can rip and clean just like the floor.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the carpet.

I used berber on my riser and used T-50 staples. Just spread the loops apart and staple between the loops down to the backing. When the loops close back up you can't see the staples.

View user's photo album (33 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my riser this weekend. I used 3/8" staples and carpet seam sealing glue for the edges. My configuration will have two seats in the rear and two seats in the front with the final addition being rope lighting running the perimeter underneath the platform lip.

[/img]
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice carpeting job man!

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all here for the knowledge.
Successfully built my riser.

https://flic.kr/p/HUF9zJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: