Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Digital time

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Digital time Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Bought one of the Sony b stock vw60s from avs, to good of a deal to turn down for me. Am I a shame on this forum now. I still have a functioning d50.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Digital time Reply with quote

TheVerge wrote:
Bought one of the Sony b stock vw60s from avs, to good of a deal to turn down for me. Am I a shame on this forum now. I still have a functioning d50.

Don't worry about it. It is only a matter of time for all of us.

Do you have the projector yet? How do you like it?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, display this and click on it, and then you'll see "digital time."
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought one, but I have enough pjs as it is.
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Ok so I call my wife in to look at this clock and she says how can you tell if they're men? They don't have any peckers, I can see nipples and they have short hair, but that don't mean much.

Then the kicker she leans in real close and says oh they are men, they do have peckers..lean in real close and you can see them.

Now I don't want to fall for a joke so I won't lean in for the closer look ,she insists and right as lean forward, I mean really forward, I can see their tiny peckers...and dry as any comedian ever heard..... she turns and walks away and says they need to make them bigger. Shocked Shocked

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

aaawwwww!!!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital time Reply with quote

TheVerge wrote:

Shame? Hell, good for you!!! At least you won't have to worry about effin' burn-in (like I will) when the frickin' AWESOME-looking Battlefield 3 comes out. Heck, just the teaser trailer look sweet.

End of CRT days are drawing near for me. I give it another year... Maybe two.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! I switched 3 years ago! Did it originally as an experiment to get into CIH. I tried 5 reasonably priced projectors head to head with my Zenith Pro 1200x and found one that could replace it. You couldn't pay me to go back!

I almost got one of those b stocks also, but panel misalignment scares the hell out of me and I've grown to very much like the "pop" of bright scenes that I have now. Because I was too cheap for an RS2 when I switched, I got one of the best 720p DLPs I could afford (great color accuracy, decent CR, bright enough for CIH, handles multiple of 24 input, etc). In every shoot out I do with 1080p LCDs, I still like my PJ better. The VW60 is closer to a tie, so it was not compelling enough to upgrade to.

Now that you have a digi, I just have three letters for you: C - I - H.

Once you constant, you never go back!

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital time Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
TheVerge wrote:

Shame? Hell, good for you!!! At least you won't have to worry about effin' burn-in (like I will) when the frickin' AWESOME-looking Battlefield 3 comes out. Heck, just the teaser trailer look sweet.

End of CRT days are drawing near for me. I give it another year... Maybe two.

SC

I'm playing battlefield 2 on a freaking 480p crt RPTV. Starting to get old, but burn in definitely isn't a problem with that when i paid 0 for it.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to compare your measured black level to that of the VW60 unit I also got from AVS via the B-stock sale. I am not happy with my unit and it makes me feel much happier with my JVC RS20. I may be letting the Sony go and taking a $200 loss on it (only 2 hours on it).

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have told you that the 60 wouldn't be any where near the RS20. I might take the 60 off your hands, if crabb doesn't beat me to it.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Wan dumps it, then go for it, Spanky. I've got zero money to spend on PJs right now.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I would like to compare your measured black level to that of the VW60 unit I also got from AVS via the B-stock sale. I am not happy with my unit and it makes me feel much happier with my JVC RS20. I may be letting the Sony go and taking a $200 loss on it (only 2 hours on it).

Do you live in a bubble and read absolutely NOTHING about home theater. My 8 year old daughter knows the JVC PJs have better black levels than the Sony PJs!

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I think he just wanted to check it out and see how it compares.

Thanks Crabb.Smile I would actually sell it to my friend who has asked me for years to help him with his HT.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Do you live in a bubble and read absolutely NOTHING about home theater. My 8 year old daughter knows the JVC PJs have better black levels than the Sony PJs!

I have to wonder if your 8 year old daughter knows exactly the kind of person you are. Your jekyll and hyde is the best we can hope for her sake.

Anyway, I have not really read anything about the Sony SXRD projectors. I get the technology, but had been away from them for a long time. I wasn't honestly trying to compare this unit to the RS20, but the result was this wasn't what I expected from a 3 year old technology, but rather it projects like a 10 year old technology.

I could have gotten better BL by buying a new $1K Epson cereal box projector--that is how bad my impression was.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:

I have to wonder if your 8 year old daughter knows exactly the kind of person you are. Your jekyll and hyde is the best we can hope for her sake.

Anyway, I have not really read anything about the Sony SXRD projectors. I get the technology, but had been away from them for a long time. I wasn't honestly trying to compare this unit to the RS20, but the result was this wasn't what I expected from a 3 year old technology, but rather it projects like a 10 year old technology.

I could have gotten better BL by buying a new $1K Epson cereal box projector--that is how bad my impression was.

There is a reason RS20's are 3,000 on videogon, and vw60's with new bulbs are 900 on avs. 3x the price, 3x the performance.

Pretty disappointed with the black levels on my vw60 as well. Going off memory it doesn't seem much better than my old mitsu hc3000u. Probably is a significant upgrade, but i can't remember. Everything other than black levels is great however, i guess i need to just get used to them being gray Sad. I don't think it helps either that it has a new bulb, and i have about an 80 inch wide screen, i need to cut the light output by about 1/2, and then the blacks would probably look a ton better as well. Might paint my screen gray when i put a giant border around it to fix the problem in your other thread.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVerge wrote:

Pretty disappointed with the black levels on my vw60 as well. Going off memory it doesn't seem much better than my old mitsu hc3000u. Probably is a significant upgrade, but i can't remember. Everything other than black levels is great however, i guess i need to just get used to them being gray Sad. I don't think it helps either that it has a new bulb, and i have about an 80 inch wide screen, i need to cut the light output by about 1/2, and then the blacks would probably look a ton better as well. Might paint my screen gray when i put a giant border around it to fix the problem in your other thread.

You might look into adding a neutral density filter...That would probably drop the light output signficantly.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
TheVerge wrote:

You might look into adding a neutral density filter...That would probably drop the light output signficantly.

Mike

The light output of the BW7 was my main dissapointment of the projector, it was so bright that I didn't use a screen with it, I have dark gray walls in my theater and I used the projector on a computer for a secondary display on the wall. It did impress people that I could display it on dark gray and it was easily viewable. It wsa bright enough to use in a fully lit room and easily view...

But overall it was a very lowly projector and I just wasn't happy with it at all. I had other digitals that I was happy with and they were 3-5 years older. A good example would be my VPL-AW15. for a entry level 720p projector it looked great for its price. I was happy with it all the way up to the 600 hours I used on the lamp until I sold the projector off.

If you can add a filter I recommend doing so. I haven't seen a VW60 in action, but I'm hoping my VW50 won't have the issues that my BW7 did.. A lot of people have dislikes about the VW50, I will probably like it a lot (I hope...) Otherwise Ill use it til the bulb blows and toss it on ebay Smile

I have to say though, a lot of you would probably agree that the VPL-AW15 isn't that great of a projector, to me it was. For those of you that have the high end digitals and high end 9" CRT's,.. I can only imagine how good your displays must look, and even then im probably not close.

One has to wonder... How good does it need to be? Razz
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

I'll be interested to hear what you think about your vw50 when you get it. Let me know.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it in about 18 hours so I will be happy to let you know. I'm quite curious myself. I don't expect it to be the best thing ever, but I hope it doesn't wind up a dissapointment.

We shall soon see... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: