Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Optoma HD66 and 3d-gamer? (questions before purchasing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Optoma HD66 and 3d-gamer? (questions before purchasing) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone.
I'm new to this community btw.

I was basically googling info about optomas 3d-xl 3d converter and when will they ever ship it since they been saying jan 2011 and its the middle of febuary and on their facebook section, there are alot of disappointing people including myself and in a random google search, I hear about this product and its alot more affordable than what optoma is offering.

I am aware that this is just for games only and a movie version is in the works but I also seen users saying thay can stream movies from their ps3 in 3d format from the PSN store, Netflix and VUDU which will be perfect since I mostly stream movies from that and also using my ps3 media server app which also I recently found out that 3d content can be streamed from your pc to the Ps3 with that as as well.

Anyway I am curious if the projector I mentioned in the topic is compatible and has anyone actually tried using the ps3 media server with 3d content streamed from your pc with 3d-gamer?

The second question is just curiosity but if my projector is compatible, then I will be making a purchase of the adapter with the 2 glasses.

Thank you.
defiancecp

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hd66 is definitely compatible. I use a pro350w (sister projector- exactly the same internally just with tweaks for business vs. home focus- but most importantly both support 120hz sequential 1280x720 with DLP Link), and it works brilliantly.

I've not tried media server, though. There are some reports around the web of people trying 3d mkv's on ps3 with success on 3d tv's, so theoretically if the file is a 720p (not 1080p), it might work.

I'll see if I can find a file to test later this evening. If time permits (lots going on right now Smile )
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! I will be looking forward to hearing from you about this, also, just placed my order in!
defiancecp

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried all kinds of things, but kept getting 'data not supported' errors with my 720p 3d mkv's. I tried them out in stereoscopic player and they work fine, so I don't think it's the file, but I'm not very familiar with ps3 media server, so it very well could be something in the transcoding.
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I may need to get a htpc then?
if so, got any recommendations?
defiancecp

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a discussion over at avsforums about what's a minimal diy htpc setup for gaming and bluray3d.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311936
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defiancecp wrote:
Here's a discussion over at avsforums about what's a minimal diy htpc setup for gaming and bluray3d.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311936

Dude you is like the answer to all of my questions. Thank you for this.
Ill keep this in mind, IF im not able to get 3d movies to stream via ps3mediaserver like others have then i will go this route after I receive my shipment.
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also something you may want to try.

I was able to take one of my 3d blu rays i brought, Resdident evil afterlife 3d and was able to convert it with dvdfab using the 3d bluray ripper to a side by side output at 720p in mkv format and the ps3 media server played it.

Cant verify if it will work in 3d with 3d-gamer for I don't have the package yet but you may wanna give it a shot.

http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-3d-ripper/how-to-convert-blu-ray-3d-to-mkv-3d-video.htm
defiancecp

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck with anything I've tried so far... looking back at the discussions I've found, I think the reason some people had it working is that they were using half-res side-by-side compatible displays. The thing is, half-res side-by-side is not at all an unusual format, it's just a normal res video, but with half of it one frame and half the other. So the PS3 doesn't even have to know that it's 3d, it just sends the picture, then the tv cuts the image in half and stretches it. That method won't work for 3d-gamer or hd-66, since both 120hz and frame packed are distinctly different display formats from normal 2d, so the ps3 would need the codec to specifically support that mode.

Or something like that Smile
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, I swear I seen ppl mention getting it to work with a projector and a 3d adapter.......
I'll have to look it up again I guess.
defiancecp

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood - I definitely can't claim to be an expert on media via ps3, so there could certainly be something I'm overlooking.
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you find out anything, let me know. I'll do the same when my order arrives as well.
rancid

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gentleman over at AVS uses an HD66 in his review and had positive results.
T.J. Dobbs

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I already got the items and I'm happy with the results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: