Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Official Tablet/Pad/Tab/Touchscreen Computing Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you interested in purchasing a tablet style computing device in the next 6 months?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 17 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I wonder if it was the version of Android that really made for less than stellar experiences during 2010. Google is saying that Gingerbread was the version meant for tablets, and that just came out.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I wonder if it was the version of Android that really made for less than stellar experiences during 2010. Google is saying that Gingerbread was the version meant for tablets, and that just came out.

I don't think there's much to wonder about in that regard... I've heard the same sentiment expressed both from a manufacturer or two, as well as the tech press in general.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

You wonder if what was the version?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wonder if any bad experiences by consumers buying pre Android 2.3 based tablets could have been made better had those products been shipped with Gingerbread on them.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
No, I wonder if any bad experiences by consumers buying pre Android 2.3 based tablets could have been made better had those products been shipped with Gingerbread on them.

Sorry I guess I can't read. That makes sense.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't really looked into the webOS features because it was obvious Palm wasn't going to be around for much longer. I watched a few videos of the new HP webOS TouchPad and was pretty impressed with its apparent ease of use and true multi-tasking. A few of the scenarios that they demonstrated I have been frustrated by on my iPad.

I will be watching to see what the price of the device is and how the iPad 2 stacks up spec wise. The developer support is not quite as large but after looking into the main apps I use they are largely available for every platform so even though the large number isn't there most of the "good" apps are willing to go multi-platform to not miss out on any potential audience.

Thoughts on the new HP TouchPad?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/hp-touchpad-vs-ipad-vs-xoom-vs-playbook-the-tale-of-the-tape/
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it isn't offered in WiFi only then it isn't worth my time. No way I am paying the ransom like the smucks out there in the over-priced mobile data market. Of course, please do play the smuck so I can continue to get a nice paycheck. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where the Apple store has refurb'd 16gb ipads for $349.00 I wonder what you will be able to pick up one of the used gen 1 ipads for in the next few months.
Dan
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
I see where the Apple store has refurb'd 16gb ipads for $349.00 I wonder what you will be able to pick up one of the used gen 1 ipads for in the next few months.
Dan

For $50 more you can get a new one, right? They just lowered the price for the wifi only bottom tier one to $399.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they are not allowing Flash nor have a USB/SD slot so the new one isn't appealing to my household. Hence, the refurb might be nice.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a refurbed Nook Color from Buy.com (B&N was the seller) for $180 + $12 shipping.

I received it today. I played around with the Nook OS and realized it wouldn't offer enough so I spent a half hour installing CM7 on a 16gb Micro-SD and was up and running Android 2.3.3 on the Nook (with full ability to go back to Nook OS by removing SD card) in no time.

For those that aren't the least bit computer savvy you can even buy a pre-loaded micro-SD card with Nook2Android (now N2A) on it and just insert and boot into Android. SD cards already formatted and ready to roll with Android. They are selling for about a $25 premium over just a plain microSD card...or a bit more depending on where you buy your memory at.

Overall it is a pretty slick device. I am really liking the 7" form factor. Much more mobile and more likely for my wife to drop in her purse.

I will let her use it for a few weeks and then look at getting the commuter case to protect it a bit for $35.

It doesn't have GPS, it doesn't have usable Bluetooth yet, and it can bog down a bit because it does true multitasking, but it runs like a VERY large 1ghz phone with a great IPS screen.

Anyone else dabbled in some new tablets recently?

If a honeycomb tablet gets into the $250 range, I will probably pick one of those up...the Acer was very close with a fatwallet coupon available recently from Staples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: