Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Wireless keyboard suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Wireless keyboard suggestions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am known as the home theater guy hear at work and I had someone ask me to suggest a good wireless keyboard with a built in mouse to use with his HTPC. He said he had tried a couple and they have not worked correctly. He needs it to transmit about 20' direct line of site. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he work in the dark?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but I think that I would want one that has a bit of a back lit keyboard. The ability to turn the back light on and off would be good.
Thanks
Dan
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a few. I've been thorough a few dozen over the years.

The best back lit wireless keyboard is the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000. However it retails for $450 + you can sometimes find them used for $125-150 on eBay.

May favorite non-back lit wireless is the Grandtech Long Ranger 933MHz keyboard. The "mouse" pad is a little slow but you can pump that up in Windows. It has a 100 foot range. Best of all it's not in the overcrowded 2.4GHz spectrum.

There are also all sorts of other choices that are infa-red. A popular model for that is The BTC 9019URF Wireless Keyboard
http://www.hardwarezone.com.au/reviews/view.php?cid=79&id=1242&pg=2

I have a few of those and people take to them quite easily. The one issue is their width, if your easy chair is narrow you may notbe able to fit it between the arms comfortably. There are 4 different models. The older IR and RF with PS/2 connectors. ( I have the PS/2 IR version ) and the newer IR and RF with USB.

My older models were only $15 each. the newer ones are $40-60 each.

There's an HP keyboard 9129URF that looks like it may be OK too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Media-Entertainment-Center-Wireless-Keyboard-9129URF-/180624298641?
pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2a0e0c1291#ht_500wt_949

Keyboards are a subjective thing. I prefer an ergonomic split for day to day PC typing at my desk. No one else I know can stand the
m.

There are also many tiny bluetooth keyboards. I have the Logitech DiNovo Mini. But it's more for thumb typing if you are into that sort of thing. It's back lit though and besides it's odd mouse pad it's not too bad for limited HTPC use. I use it mostly with my PS3.

You should ask your friend what he intends to do from the couch. If he wants to surf and type then a full size will be in order. I he just wants to call up a few movies from a PVR program he may be OK with one of the sub sized keyboards.

CRT.

HD done right!
csurfer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up this little one it's smaller than most of today's remotes and has a trackpad on it. You can have the backlight on or off so it's easy to use in a dark room.
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wireless-Keyboard-Rechargeable-Notebooks/dp/B003UE52ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1297947909&sr=1-1

Regards
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csurfer wrote:
I just picked up this little one it's smaller than most of today's remotes and has a trackpad on it. You can have the backlight on or off so it's easy to use in a dark room.
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wireless-Keyboard-Rechargeable-Notebooks/dp/B003UE52ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1297947909&sr=1-1

Regards

I have one of those too. It's flaky at best trying to get it to connect. I'm sending mine back. It won't connect at all anymore.
It's also more of a thumb-board.

I forgot to recommend the best wireless keyboard ever. The IR SK-7100 make sure you get a receiver with it, if the receiver has a serial plug on it make sure you get the serial to PS2 adaptor. You can plug this into a PS2 to USB adaptor if you need it to be USB.

You can also convert it to RF wireless with a double AA battery adaptor.

http://www.weaknees.com/rf-remote-details.php

The nicest part of this keyboard is the mouse/joystick and the click and hold button so you can do a drag and drop.

IF this had a back light it would be freakin perfect.

CRT.

HD done right!
Bill in Beaumont

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what he wants to do with the keyboard this might work.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/accessories/devices/7539

I use this with my HTPC, signal works thru walls (great for controlling volume while sitting outside). Keys are small but I'm happy with it's performance.
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

I forgot to recommend the best wireless keyboard ever. The IR SK-7100 make sure you get a receiver with it, if the receiver has a serial plug on it make sure you get the serial to PS2 adaptor. You can plug this into a PS2 to USB adaptor if you need it to be USB.

You can also convert it to RF wireless with a double AA battery adaptor.

http://www.weaknees.com/rf-remote-details.php

The nicest part of this keyboard is the mouse/joystick and the click and hold button so you can do a drag and drop.

IF this had a back light it would be freakin perfect.

You really like this keyboard ?

I had one of these years and years ago and hated it. It didn't work worth a crap for me.

I haven't found the "perfect" keyboard/mouse combo yet, but I'm still looking.

I agree with you about the crappy little bluetooth thing, I've got one, and I had to use a MUCH better BT receiver just to get it to connect, and even with that, I had to put the receiver on a long extension and even THEN, it still drops all the time, really a crappy solution....

There's a decent Logitech one with a built in touchpad, but its not backlit, uses 2.4Ghz RF: http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-PS3-Silver-Media-Keyboard-w-Touchpad-/220745142107?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item33656f8f5b

I've got this one and the BT version which has direct access media keys, but the silver one works better...IMHO...
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh I love the SK-7100! I've had over 30 keyboards here and that's my favorite wireless

The mini back lit one I just got now refuses to connect. Cheap ass shite!

CRT.

HD done right!
StudioJim

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with suggesting keyboards, is that everyone prefers something different. I use the Saitek brand of keyboards and love them, but my roommate hates them. My biggest suggestion would be to go to a physical store and try them out personally. I'm sure you have some local shops as well that you can check out! A wireless keyboard would be nice for my home theater, now that I think about it...

---
The home theater construction project never ends! Any advice on seating would be appreciated. I know Family Leisure sells them. Any other ideas?

Last edited by StudioJim on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with going to a physical store is I can seldom find them locally. Most of mine came from eBay.

CRT.

HD done right!
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Ohh I love the SK-7100! I've had over 30 keyboards here and that's my favorite wireless

When I first got into HTPCs everyone was using these. I still have one.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

When I first got into HTPCs everyone was using these. I still have one.

Yep, it was the first one I got with an HTPC too in Jan 1997

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: