Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Opinions on best PS3 settings for CRT projectors via RGBHV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogomusic

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Opinions on best PS3 settings for CRT projectors via RGBHV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello all,

If there is a thread on this allready, please direct me to it.

Pretty much as the subject says. I have the PS3 and my Fios box running HDMI into a bunch of stuff I bought here Smile
HDMI "smart" switcher which inputs into HD Fury 2 which inputs into gamma boost which sends the signal via RGBHV to a Barco 808s. I have been having some resolution issues on the Barco. I have experimented with various settings on both the PS3 and fios box, neither of which have resolved the issue. (it also happens with a direct computer connection until I change the monitor two resulotion to 1280x1024 or higher and then the issue "seemed" to go away. As such, I may be having device issues. Right now, I'm pretty sure I have my components set to 1080i. It's something I have to deal with a lot at the youth center I run (4 xboxes, 3 PS3s, LCD pj and HD TV's for all) so I'd like to think I'm not clueless on that end. BUT, if someone has figured out an ideal set-up for these things, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not clear on what problem you're having exactly...

For a Barco 808s, 1080i should be a nice match, unless you have a pretty sharp machine or sit close to your screen and can see scan lines...

So, is 1080i working well for you? If so, just use that.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
zogomusic

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not working well. I have really obvious scan lines. general seating is about 12 feet back from the screen. Also, before getting the Barco, I was running a 1272q and never had a horizontal line issue. Responses to the pics I posted in the other forum indicated that it looked like I was running at 480p or so. The fact that I can get obvious and clear pics of the problem probably isn't good either. The problem got worse after reconverging and focusing. It now, also, has a "curtain" effect on the left side and top. I did check the horizontal pot as well as pre the tips section.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus on the 12xx is generally bad enough that nobody sees scan lines on 1080i, and yes - resolution is somewhere better than 480p, but not anywhere near as good as 1080i or even 720p. An 808 is a much sharper machine.

I checked out your other thread, and of course without being there, it's a little hard to say for sure what's going on...

Couple questions... You said you watch from 12-feet back... What size/aspect ratio is your screen?

On a normal-sized screen like 8-foot wide, you shouldn't be able to see 1080i scan lines from 12-feet back. I can see them on my G70 from 10-feet or so, but by 12-14 feet, they're going away. I'm sure your 808 is no sharper than my machine, so I'm wondering if A) you're not really running 1080i, or B) if your screen is huge.

Not sure about the "curtain effect" thing... I'm not a Barco guy. How's your physical setup? Certain the projector is nice and square to the screen and geometry and convergence controls set at reasonable points (ie not maxed out) to obtain convergence?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
zogomusic

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is 120" (8x6) and I think I picked 16:9 for the cable box, etc. The projector is as nice and square as i'm going to get it, but yes, I was pretty particular about that. Ironically, I "un-maxed" some of the convergence points this last time around. I went through and set everything... and I mean everything at 1/2 way (or 50). I then physically re-converged the manual focus and started the EM stuff from there. Most of it is within a 20 point range around 50.

My concern is that, as you stated, I am not actually running 1080i. If so, I can't figure out why. I'm concerned that the HDfury or the gamma boost thing is causing an issue somehow. I originally had a DVDio before the Fury, but can't recall if there was an issue with it. I think it was fine, other than some gamma needs, but I switched it oout before finalizing that. Maybe the RGB switcher is messed up. It was a problem I presented to Curt when I first got the machine, but it was never resolved. It also wasn't as bad as it is now. I have a huge Superbowl party every year, and that's when I went through and refocused everything. Of course, no one really watches the game because it's all about the buffet... and my four chile pots.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on best PS3 settings for CRT projectors via RGB Reply with quote

zogomusic wrote:
If there is a thread on this allready, please direct me to it.

Try this: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252620#252620
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: