Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Would you go AMD X6 or i7 Quad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Related question -- I'm not looking at an i7 vs. X6. I'm thinking of getting a new laptop and wondering about i3 vs AMD whatever. i5 is probably not in the budget.

I bought a $600 HP laptop at Best Buy 3 yrs ago and it's been a workhorse. I love it. But I run several RAM-hog apps and the ~3.25GB that it can access is just not cutting it. I need a 64bit OS and at least 4-6 GB of RAM. I could install W7 on my existing laptop but if I've gotta drop $100 on the OS, I'd rather apply it to new hardware.

Any thoughts/preferences between the i3 class of hardware?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
HD video editing, some easy games, multitasking, virtualization, etc.

My MIL has a Canon HF100 and I have footage from HV20, Kodak Zi8, my panasonic ZS3 and they are all in various states of codecs, resolutions and bitrates that my current Core 2 Duo P7350 @ 2.0Ghz with 4gig can't handle.

Greg, I think you might have a software problem more than a hardware problem. I just switched to my Core i7 MacBook Pro a few months ago, but before I did, I was editing H.264 video on my Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz MacBook Pro no problem. It certainly wasn't fast by any means (and the new Core i7 certainly smokes it - sometimes more than double), but what do you mean you say it "can't handle" the editing?

All the different codecs are a pain no matter what computer you have, but any newer dual-core box (notebook or desktop) should be able to handle editing 1080p video no problem - all that will vary is the speed at which you can transcode or compress.

That's why I'm wondering if the software you were using (MediaStudio?) just sucks, and if maybe switching to Vegas even on your old box would work just fine.

I don't know if I can ever go back to a desktop. I can't stand being tethered to a damn desk to get any work done. If I did 3D or video editing every day all day, it might be a no-brainer, but all these computers are so fast now, I just don't see the point in a desktop for the vast majority of people.

Case in point: My buddy and I took my MacBook Pro to SEMA and shot, edited, and compressed 3-4 videos every day. It went as smooth as silk. Granted they were short videos - 1-2 minutes apiece - but, a big desktop just would have made the encodes a little faster. Working in Premiere Pro with the h.264 video from the Canons was completely fluid... Just as fluid as working with DV was 5 years ago, or HDV a year or two ago.

Not trying to discourage you from spending money - if you want a new box, get one - but, I think you're really overestimating the horsepower you need to casually edit family/home video from time to time.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester - Gotta have modular! Can't stand that hunk of mess inside the case even if I never look at it again. I will review the PSU selection based on the overwhelming negative response. Wink

Gary - Thread jacker!!! Laughing

SC - I don't doubt the software sucks and it is likely that my Shark007 codec pack which allows me to play MKVs anywhere is messing up encoding of h.264 somehow and I will never be able to figure it out but what I mean by it won't work is that it is unbearably slow...not just slow in encoding but slow in the software...slow in the importing, slow in cutting, slow in everything.

It is probably laughable at the capabilities difference between Premeire Pro and Ulead Video Studio (hahahahaha).

I have already purchases Vegas 10 and will install it on my current C2D and see how it works, but I am pretty dead set on replacing my laptop with a more modular desktop because it is at that point in the lifecycle...two years old!

Don't want to get into a Desktop v laptop discussion...not here anyway. I don't doubt that my iLife could be easier...but let's not go there. Twisted Evil
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Jester - Gotta have modular! Can't stand that hunk of mess inside the case even if I never look at it again. I will review the PSU selection based on the overwhelming negative response. Wink

I guess I'm old school. I just tie up the cables not in use. I do like the idea of a modular ps though. very clean looking for sure.

Dale
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got Vegas and it is definitely nicer software although a bit intimidating looking at first.

I threw in a 5 minute .MTS AVCHD clip from a Canon camcorder and encoded it into .wmv compressed down to 640x480 and it took 28 minutes!

That crap can't work. I need a new computer.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, thought this might interest you. If I read it right, you need 64-bit windows for Sony Vegas to use multi cores?

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/918270

Dale
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
Greg, thought this might interest you. If I read it right, you need 64-bit windows for Sony Vegas to use multi cores?

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/918270

Dale

I have 64 bit Windows 7.

I will read a bit on getting the GPU acceleration figured out. It seems that the GPU accel only works when using the Sony AVC codec...I was using WMV.

I will try again tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: