Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

soundproofing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: soundproofing? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My lazy ass finally installed door jamb strips and exterior style threshold at the theater door.

It is worth the time. It has made a big difference in sound transmission to the rest of the house.

It is not sound proof, but it did greatly reduce the traveling sound. Shocked

I am very surprised and pleased with the results.It is CHEAP and effective [within reason].

No I did not use a sound meter, Just my wifes ears.

Again it is definitely worth the time. Thumbs Up

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's higher-freq stuff that was leaking out before? I wouldn't expect weatherstripping and thresholds to make much difference for the low boomy stuff. That's what I have the biggest problem with, and that's the hardest to fix -- especially after the room is built.
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the bass still shakes the house but only when pushed. It is not it soundproof by any stretch of the imagination, just quieter than before.

Edit: I'm sorry without the backstory it doesn't make much sense.

During construction I did take measures to "soundproof' 1 layer of 3/4 plywood a layer of rubber roofing and a 2nd layer of 3/4 plywood and siliconed all the tongue and grove edges and butt edges and the entire perimeter of floor.

Theater is on 2nd floor.

Also used silicone instead of glue during drywall installation. Fiberglass insulation was used between floors and in all walls too.

The door was always supposed to be what I just did.

As I said My lazy ass. Smile

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
rod

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a audio expert technician but I think your wife's ears trump the sound meter any day!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I assume it's higher-freq stuff that was leaking out before? I wouldn't expect weatherstripping and thresholds to make much difference for the low boomy stuff. That's what I have the biggest problem with, and that's the hardest to fix -- especially after the room is built.

You too eh Gary? I learned too late what I needed to know before build-out. Rolling Eyes I've added eggshell foam panels up under the soffit over the screen but the main duct run that's drywalled in the soffit (2 14"x10" running parallel) but the effect was minimal and still transmits bass throughout the house. My HT is in the basement so I don't have the same issues to deal with as the OP. (floor and interior walls)

The one wall not upgainst a foundation is going to get the 2x4's decoupled from the joists. That should help some and I have to build some bass traps and get them up.

The good thing about not 'getting 'er done all in one extended building evolution is times like this when you can get at things you haven't finished yet. Mr. Green (I'm not lazy...just broke all the time these days).

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
wowchad

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
...I learned too late what I needed to know before build-out...

I'm in these stages now and need to read up on soundproofing. What the heck DO you do with the duct work???
I was thinking of spraying rubberized undercoating over the whole thing...now we already built a wood structure around it.

Any soundproofing advice you guys have I'd love to hear about it.
My HT is in the basement but the master bed is right above it!

12-12-10 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  147.47 KB
 Viewed:  7432 Time(s)

12-12-10 003.jpg

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way to really avoid sound transmission through the ductwork is to isolate the HT. Give it its own HVAC so its ductwork doesn't connect to the rest of the house.

Unfortunately most of us can't do that, so I don't know that there's much you can do about sound transmission through the ducts.

Low bass is the biggest problem, and that conducts right through walls. (Or ceiling/floor in your case.) Isolation and mass are the way you stop bass. Ideally you'd isolate the HT -- box-inside-box construction -- so the HT walls don't touch the rest of the house and so don't conduct the sound. Again, most of us can't do that. You can use things like sheetrock isolation clips and Green Glue to deaden the connection between sheetrock and joist so less bass gets conducted through.

Mass is the other thing. Not much bass goes through the foundation because the mass absorbs it, just like eggshell foam absorbs high frequencies. You can put more mass between the HT and the house by double-sheetrocking. (And Green Glue between the layers of rock.) It won't completely solve the problem but it helps.

It also helps to pack the rafters with insulation. That's going to have more effect on midranges than on really low stuff, but it helps the bass too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: