Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Crestron CNMSX-AV Upgrade to iPad Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodsphere

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Crestron CNMSX-AV Upgrade to iPad Control Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sorry to be a nubie here, but this is my first post...

I have a Crestron CNMSX-AV controller for my home theater, that I originally got circa 2000 with a Color wireless touch screen remote (ST1500 I think). Over the years I have upgraded most of the gear in my rack (that counts), some multiple times, and I got tired of paying thousands to get the remote reprogrammed for a $500 new player in the rack, not to mention thousands more for a new proprietary touch screen. Now the Crestron, essentially already $5000 Remote control, only controls the power to the amps and the rack monitor, and the curtains open/closed.

Over the years, my installed has been overtaken by the economic woes, so even if I wanted to upgrade, I am stuck in the wilderness.

I have now seen some beautiful iPad based control systems even with links to Crestron control units. My unit is perfectly functioning, but needs
1. an Ethernet card (called a CNXENET +)
2. possibly a software update
3. the new modules to control my new gear (the list is in my signature), and
4. A recommendation for a nice iPad App that puts all the graphics together beautifully and functionally to make it fly in the hands of the users.

Does anyone know how I can get the above done without spending (another) fortune?

I am an engineer, and could do a bunch myself, if I knew where to go to get all the pieces.

Thanks,

Rod's The Rosewood Theater:
Lexicon MC-12B
Oppo BDP-93
Oppo BDP-83
LG Combo BRD/HD-DVD Player
Alesis 96/24 CD/HDR
Comcast HD DVR
AppleTV
Speakers in a 7.2 surround setup:
Fronts: Legacy Audio Whisper (4 Way with Quad 15"s, Quad 7" Kevlar, Soft Dome, and Ribbon Tweeter)
Center: Legacy Cinema (Whisper drivers on its side behind perforated projector screen)
Side Surrounds: Legacy Dipoles
Rear Surrounds: Legacy
Subs: Two Legacy LF-Extremes with dual 15"s and 1000W ea
Amps: Rotel 1090 (720Wx2 into 4 Ohms) and Rotel 1095 (380Wx5 into 4 Ohms)
Projector: Sony VPL-50 1080P DILA
110' 16x9 Stewart Screen, perforated acoustically transparent
SlingBox
But Kickers in Zero Gravity Seats
HTPC with a 300 Disc Carousel w/Win 7
Sony S-VHS
Sony Dual Cassette
Sonos with 8 zones around the house
Lots of thick wire, gold connectors
wine cellar, bar, pool table, ...
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Rod!

I know zilch about Crestron, but there are several threads here where people are DIY'ing their Crestron setups. You'll probably want to check them out - they're in the HT Accessories forum. There might be one or two others trying to do something nearly as complex as the setup you want.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3581
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8856

Like I said, I don't know if anybody is trying to do anything quite as advanced as you are with iPad control, though.

If you go that route, and you want a really high quality graphics library, check out GUIFX...
http://www.guifx.com

They're not cheap at $800+, but it would cost a small fortune to try to hire someone to build something comparable, and the UI elements are custom-designed for Crestron and specifically iPad.

I'd also suggest you check out this thread:
iRule - The iPhone/iPod touch/iPad remote solution

iRule is an app for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad designed to be relatively easy for a DIY'er to program, uses inexpensive hardware gateways to control IR and serial devices, and comes with a nice library of pre-designed graphics already set up on device panel and pages. Of course, you can customize from there.

It's not as powerful as an AMX- or Crestron setup, but for most people it does 90% of what they want to do for 10% of the cost, it runs on devices that most people already have laying around already, and you don't need to be an engineer to make it work.

I created the thread here to introduce the guys in this forum to the product because many of them don't frequent AVS Forum where iRule's main support thread is housed. It needs updating, since the app has been updated since I last posted. If you're interested, I suggest following the link to the AVS thread and asking questions there, or contacting the developers directly through their web site.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Rodsphere

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SC,

I'll take a look at those links, they seemlike much of what I am looking for. I especially like the iRule concept with the inexpensive HW interface boxes. But I'd like to use the Crestron hw interface crontroller in my rack if I can, since it already has many programmable IR drive channels, relay channels, and RS-232 control ports. It does need to be upgraded to add the Ethernet port though. So sourcing that may be an issue since it seems to be discontinued now on Crestron's web site.

But if I can get the Enet port and the SW to connect to IP, then I'd love to use some iPad SW like the GUIFX, or even somethng less expensive if it already has modules built to control the gear I have, or at least most of it.

It would be interesting to know how forum readers rate the various iPad AV control Apps, in Overall deign Atractiveness, completeness of device drivers, Flexibility, compatibility with HW interface modules, customization, breadth of features, and support. Doing this rating for GUIFX, iRule, Crestron, iRemote, and others...

Thanks again for the insight.

Cheers,

Rod

Rod's The Rosewood Theater:
Lexicon MC-12B
Oppo BDP-93
Oppo BDP-83
LG Combo BRD/HD-DVD Player
Alesis 96/24 CD/HDR
Comcast HD DVR
AppleTV
Speakers in a 7.2 surround setup:
Fronts: Legacy Audio Whisper (4 Way with Quad 15"s, Quad 7" Kevlar, Soft Dome, and Ribbon Tweeter)
Center: Legacy Cinema (Whisper drivers on its side behind perforated projector screen)
Side Surrounds: Legacy Dipoles
Rear Surrounds: Legacy
Subs: Two Legacy LF-Extremes with dual 15"s and 1000W ea
Amps: Rotel 1090 (720Wx2 into 4 Ohms) and Rotel 1095 (380Wx5 into 4 Ohms)
Projector: Sony VPL-50 1080P DILA
110' 16x9 Stewart Screen, perforated acoustically transparent
SlingBox
But Kickers in Zero Gravity Seats
HTPC with a 300 Disc Carousel w/Win 7
Sony S-VHS
Sony Dual Cassette
Sonos with 8 zones around the house
Lots of thick wire, gold connectors
wine cellar, bar, pool table, ...
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also considering iRule--if the wife lets me touch her iPad once I've given it to her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: