Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New Simulation Grade HR Tubes for G70's

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cinema mad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: New Simulation Grade HR Tubes for G70's Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Want A 15-20% performance improvement/Razer sharp focus for your Sony G70 !!!!

New Sim Grade Hi-Rez Tubes to suit Sony G70's made available By Greg Eisemann of eisemann-theatre
http://www.eisemann-theater.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=83&op=page&SubMenu=

These New Sim Grade "HR" P16's are Based off the Same tech used in Gregs Sim Grade "HR" lugs & are A direct replacement/ drop in solution for G70's that don't require any mod's to the G70's neck boards and offer Superior performance over the Stock OEM Panasonic P16'08's tubes used in G70 & NEC LC..

Over the years after reading Numerous reviews about how Good Greg Eisemann's Lug tube perform over the Stock OEM used in G90's..
I contacted Greg inquiring about the availability/possability of Sim Grade p16 tubes that would allow G70 owners to have the ability to utilize enjoy the Superior performance of the 9" Lugs but in an 8" Package..

After many Emails back and forth and open discussion on AVS Greg was finely able to come up with the Goods, 8" sims with same pinout as P16'08's. I could'nt get ahold of A set of these new Sim Grade tubes quick anough to see for myself even though I was still A little Skeptical..

Because 99% of Blu-Ray's have 2:40;1 aspect ratio & bandwidth limitations of the G70 I run A custom rez of 1920x805p @48Hz(2:2) = 2:40.1..
My stock Green tube always showed A little fatter Hatch pattern compared to running SD-DVD @ 720p @75Hz 3:3(pal) where there was no decernable difference between all 3 RGB tubes when displaying Hatch or Zone inc External test patterns so at 1920x800p the Green tube was starting to show signs of struggling to resolve it IMO ..

With Gregs Sim Grade HR Tubes installed, as I had hoped the Green tube is Razer sharp showing no decernable difference between RGB when displaying Int/ External test patterns @ 1920x805p and the Picture is absolutly stunning & now only running contrast at 55 appears to throw close to the same fL as my old tubes at 65..
For non Bias confirmation I asked the Mr's into the theatre to hear her opinion, & the first coment was WoW the picture looks sharper more depth than last time.. How much of an improvement would you say the image is over previous times Dear ? The Mr's said id say 20% :-O, So I was defenatly not suffering from Placebo..

Next I threw up the SMPTE 1:1 test pattern to see how well the Sim Tubes where resolving 1920x805p compared to my OEM Panasonics & they blew them out of the water ..

My little G70 has A little over 1500 hrs on chassis was running original tubes & showed virtualy zero wear (9) before upgrade, Moome V2 Full-HD HDMI int card, external VP is VP50pro running YcBcR 4:2:2 video chain Source is Panasonic BD30 outputing 24p, Screen is Stewarts Lux Deluxe Studio Tek 130 92" 16:9..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After dialing in all the neck assembly's as per G70 service manual section 3 Adjustments (3-1>3-9)

Thanks to Gregs break in pointers The procedure I used for running in/Break-in the Sim Grade Tubes are as Follows
Input External Signal, I set keystone, Key Balance/ Pin,Pin Bal All to mid point 128, Zone midpoint 128, Adjusted lin Bow & Skew.. While looking into the Tube Face with Lenses Removed I centered the Raster on the tube face running full 4:3 aspect ratio..

Running the Boeing Sim Tubes at (Max safe) 4:3 raster, with Both CONTRAST/ BRIGHTNESS set at 30 & Displaying All White 100IRE test pattern (non Windowed)
Running high rez @ around fH40.7khz / fV47.95hz, Magnetic Focus> Defocus ALL set to Min so as not to see any Scan Lines,
Double check that All white Active image is Centered to & Filling All the 4x3 Raster area/Tube Face..
I aged the new tubes For A total of 24Hours in an Air Conditioned room with the last 10 hours slowly ramping up Cont/Bright in 5% increments for maximum of 15-20min bursts before reducing Cont/Bright back to 30 for 30mins, I did'nt go any higher than 55contr/Bright during the latter part of the break in ..
while I was at it also chose to replaced the Optical Glycol (MG chem High Purity Projection Tube Coolent type-803).

Greg's Recommendations:You should do A Full raster at 30 Contrast & 30 Brightness White Screen to allow them to achieve best performance. This will give max Focuse Don't overlap the Raster on the sides.
I fined on brand new tubes you have to break them in A little to get the best sharpness..
I put 10 hours on them Full raster but not overlap.If you overlap it will crack..
Do not use at 50% Cont for more than 30min but A few short bursts of 50% for 20mins, I watch it to make sure it does not get too hot..

Simulation grade guns wear less they are higher grade brighter and sharper. Its a better tube according to how they are made.They should get maybe a little sharper 5% ? with age and a little more burn in tweeking. Some say they don't reach there full sharpness untill about 50 hours.

My Final thoughts: I love my G70 & These new Sim Grade tubes made the single biggest improvement upgrade scense my Moome V2 HDMI card, Breathing new life back into why I love CRT..
It was Easy to change out the old OEM tubes with the Sim Grade thanks to JohnHWman well writen Guide which makes it posable for just about anyone to accomplish
http://www.curtpalme.com/Sony_G70_Tube_Swap1.shtm

A Huge Thankyou To Greg Eisemann for making this All possible & providing me the opportunity to install these high performance Sim tubes into my G70..
& I cant forget to say A big thanks to Curt Palme for going out of his way to expedite me A Set of OEM G70 HV Leads, thanks CURT....

Cheers...

New Simulation Tubes showing SMPTE RP 133 Resolution pattern 005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  457.33 KB
 Viewed:  8619 Time(s)

New Simulation Tubes showing SMPTE RP 133 Resolution pattern 005.jpg

New Boeing Sim Grade P16 Tubes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.38 KB
 Viewed:  11042 Time(s)

New Boeing Sim Grade P16 Tubes.jpg

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read, cm. Did you replace all three tubes or just the green? At a grand a pop, I think upgrading to a 9" might be a better value proposition. I see his 9" tubes are $150 more than the 8" tubes. I might have to get a green tube for my G90.
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an Eisemann Boeing LUG in my G90 and love it. Watching Avatar or similar material just blows me away every time I watch it. To be honest, since I installed the LUG at the same time I bought the G90, I can't say how it compares to the stock tube.

I too did a break-in on the tube just because that's how I handled tube replacements in the past but then other forum members pointed out that a new tube (as opposed to a rebuilt) didn't need break-in. So does a new tube benefit from break-in or not?

cinema mad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Spanky,

I Changed out the Blue and Green Tubes only..
Yeah if I was lukey anough to own A G90 I would'nt hesitate Changing out the Green tube To A Sim Grade For sure after seeing what my little G70 can do with these new tubes..

JohnHWman Has A Green Sim Grade in his G90 Im pretty sure & speaks highly of them from what Iv read
when I was talking to him over on AVS A couple years back..

Cheers...
cinema mad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read what Curt has posted in the Advanced procedure threads for running in new stock Tubes he Recommends 96hrs I think..
But With the Sim Grade Greg told me 10 hours but I whent with 24, although I dont think any tube is fully run in under 50Hrs ?..

Cheers..
secstate

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of Greg's P19s in my Runco (green) it works great. Very happy with it. I did a 100 hour run in because I figured it couldn't hurt.
geisemann

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Bulk Buy Reply with quote

If an one wants to start a list I can do a Bulk Buy.

The factory can make a batch in 2 weeks. They have the new specs for better glass and better gun all set up now.

Greg
Matrix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bulk Buy Reply with quote

geisemann wrote:
If an one wants to start a list I can do a Bulk Buy.

The factory can make a batch in 2 weeks. They have the new specs for better glass and better gun all set up now.

Greg

Greg, I would be interested in a bulk buy with blue and green in the P16. Do we have to do the bellows and lens swap ourselves?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A granda tube eh? Thats not a very enticing price Sad, I could probably get a G90 with the same wear as my tubes on my XG and it would probably still be a major improvement, and cost less.

I wouldnt mind some new tubes for the XG though, One can only dream Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this may be a case where there are fixed costs associated with the making of the tubes. There is probably very little difference in material costs between 8" and 9" tubes.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes sense for a green. But why the blue!? Blue is *supposed* to be defocused. (Unless these things don't require defocusing to hold good grayscale?)

I would think green alone, or green and *red*, would make a lot more sense. Your eye sees red a lot sharper than blue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: