Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

plastic Derfla case?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

would you buy one for 200.00
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 32 ]
no
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
maybe
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 48

derfla

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have not gave an update lately, been to busy making panels. I got the 9'' mold repaired, just like new now. I have done one from that mold and the second one is curing now. so things are looking good ( I need take a picture of all the pieces sitting arround). My girls enjoy pushing my son on the carpet with the blems.
jayluft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a definite maybe (would love to see a pic or two) to get a 9" er. Mr. Green
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, yes, more pics please... and do you have an eta? Still patiently waiting Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

At this point I am having an issue with the production cost and the market value of my case. the problem is not in the materials, it is in the time involved. what it comes down to is the design of the molds, and the time it takes to finish a case to my standards from said molds. If anyone has ever seen a vidikron projector case then you know they are not a perfect fit. don't get me wrong they look good once installed but it takes some finesse to get them on the projector right.

The original shop that finished the case had a lot of time tied up in the fit and finish. each case had to be "made to work" the mold condition has nothing to do with this, it is just the design of the molds. A different shop made the panels from the mold than the shop that finished them, this shop charged something like 400.00. the second shop had to spend the time to make the panels fit well and charged 3X as much as the first guy. this is why CJ got the high quote for the finished product

this is what i am thinking, for 250.00 I could sell all the panels for a case as they come out of the molds. I would do some of the fit work and a little of the finish work.this would leave the adjustments and paint work up to the customer, think of it as a case kit. this would only apply to anyone that wants to spend less than 400.00. For 400.00 I think it will be worth my time to do a textured black case, and as I stated above it still takes some finesse to get them on right. as of right now the price I will need to get for a deluxe case will NOT fit into many peoples budget. I either have to sell them fresh from the mold, or raise the price all around.

here are some pictures of as many panels as I could fit on the couch in my shop office.
Z-Photo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Pic

I am betting that has a real low WAF (or g/fAF)

Smile

The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
derfla

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z-Photo wrote:
Cool Pic

I am betting that has a real low WAF (or g/fAF)

Smile

not realy she never goes out to the shop.
derfla

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot this picture a while back, I have not so good lighting for pictures in the shop. This case is really blue but after i adjusted the brightness and contrast it looks more plum. and when I changed the size it now looks stubby.
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good there Paul! PM me details of your deluxe case costs with matte black/satin finish, and eta.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, almost makes me want to switch to a Quee....almost. Whew, that past quickly. Very Happy

Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
derfla

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to a barco the other day, put the Quee away. What a down grade that was! Actually the barco is a bd500 thats why it was a down grade. In all honesty after a few hours doing a complete set up, magnetic to a long optical focus session. then various other adjustments inside the chaise, That old thing Actually amazed me, with my desktop on the htpc at 1024X768 it looks great. Shocked
Typh92

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on these cases?
derfla

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come to the conclusion that plastic is not the way to go. I can't get a plastic that will cure to the properties needed for the case. Sad with that being said It looks like I am back to fibreglass and epoxy, and the entry level will be 350.00. Now if I just had the time to meet some commitments, then I can get these in the for sale section.Things are moving along just not as fast as I would like. with the spare time I have to work on this project it takes two weeks just to demold enough parts to make one case. then there is the body work. I need a ton of qualified free labor to go any faster.

Paul
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your still keeping with it... wish I could help but I'm so far away!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derfla wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that plastic is not the way to go. I can't get a plastic that will cure to the properties needed for the case. Sad with that being said It looks like I am back to fibreglass and epoxy, and the entry level will be 350.00. ...

Too bad that the plastic did not work. However, as you have seen in this thread, $350 is not that bad price either...
CZ Eddie

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is still good for the finished case. But it'll be awhile longer before I can afford to get one. So I hope they are still available by that time.
derfla

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they are to. There is so much work involved to complete a case, then to offer a good price.
derfla

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: some pictures now that the weather has warmed up. Reply with quote

Here is a case I finished today, It is already spoken for but I thought I would post a few pictures anyways. sh*t I just seen a scratch in two of the photos as I was uploading them, it only shows in pictures but I will repaint that side anyways. If I ever get the ones done that are spoken for I will list new ones on ebay and post a link.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is WOW.

Almost makes me want a marquee....almost. Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks nothing short of AMAZING! Please make more, I want one!! Very Happy
derfla

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I will make more as soon as I get time..
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: