Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Refresh my memory about Thomson P19 CRTs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Refresh my memory about Thomson P19 CRTs. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've just scored a few Thomson 9" CRTs, or at least I've scored a deal for them. They're allegedly minty but I haven't
yet seen them.

I had a few sets of these a few years ago, but since I never actually did any experiments with them, I still don't actually
know much about them. But given the high cost and limited availability of new P19s, I figure it's worth my effort to
at least consider trying to use these tubes.

Any of those of you who have any info to give on them, and how they differ from a P19LCP or LUG tube, in a Marquee
application, please tell me what I need to know. If these are good usable tubes I'm going to set aside one set for spares
for myself, and depending on the condition of the others, may sell them for a reasonable price.

CJ
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these Thomson or Thomas Chris?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw them back. Thomson 9" CRTs need 40kv.

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas...I'm pretty sure now. Made fairly recently. Not the old kind used in the first Marquees.

CJ
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i did the mod and CRT Ben. I Bought the remaining NEW stock from Aferg client L3Com. He probably still have used ones and they are pretty good. I sold a set to Chip who put them in his ampro 4600HD and loves them. Also sold a set to Jarmo in Finland, i am keeping the 15 or so left for myself Very Happy

Those where used in the Triton 1080HD projector and have a sony 09MX3 pinout. you need to cut traces and re route the heater wires and add Arc resitors etc. its about an hour work per VNB.

here i my mod

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141289#141289

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you won't believe me but I'm putting better than twelve hrs a day on these tubes. When I first fired it up with these tubes, the projector had the settings from the P19LCP's that I took out. Contrast and focus was great. Now... not so great. I'm not sure if it's the tubes or the projector but I've had to reduce the contrast to re-gain electronic focus.
I used to be able to run the contrast almost all the way up with no loss in focus. Now it's the low 70's

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the Ampro Wink

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the tubes today and I am extremely pleased with what I see.

Snow white phosphor. I have yet to find one that has any visible wear on it.

Pristine clear non-yellowed bell glass.

12 tubes in total. I think it's 4 sets. Certainly it's at least 2 full sets with spares.

I'll inventory them when I get home.

Tse says he has a design for an adapter board that plugs in between a Sony pinout tube (like these) and a Marquee neck card.
I hope to get that data from him and maybe see if I can get some made for a reasonable price.

CJ
skypuppy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CM, did you get pinouts for them? I have an early Marquee that has the 40kv ps and the Thompson tubes.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong tubes Skypuppy. You have Thompson tubes, CJ has Thomas electronics Tubes.

The Thomas tubes have a Sony MEX09 pin out. I have never seen a Thompson tube pinout. But i do have schematics for the 8000 and 9000 and the VNB's are just like the new ones. only different VNB mod is for LUG's where pin 6 is drilled out for the G2 connection.
G2 on a normal VNB is pin 2 which is located in the key socket of the tube.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

cinema mad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Athan,
you dont happen to have the pinout Schem for Panasonic or Thomas P16/08's by any chance..

Thanks..
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panasonic PT16s have the same pinout as a P19LCP or 180DMB series, except that G2 may be on pin 6. You will be able to tell
by carefully examining the pins on the CRT neck and seeing whether it's pin 2 or pin 6 that has a connecting lead on it going to the
electron gun assembly.

CJ
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Yep, i did the mod and CRT Ben. I Bought the remaining NEW stock from Aferg client L3Com. He probably still have used ones and they are pretty good. I sold a set to Chip who put them in his ampro 4600HD and loves them. Also sold a set to Jarmo in Finland, i am keeping the 15 or so left for myself Very Happy

Those where used in the Triton 1080HD projector and have a sony 09MX3 pinout. you need to cut traces and re route the heater wires and add Arc resitors etc. its about an hour work per VNB.

here i my mod

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141289#141289

Athanasios

The old Thomson aviation simulation projector used to use these, but from Thomson, didn't it. That projector had a triangular crt line up, couldn't focus/adjust individual crt's/lenses. Some US company offered a modification service online that rebuild these to use PLUG's, offering individual adjustment of each CRT/lens. PLUG's lasted longer, performed better, and were available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: