Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Help Me Buy My Seymour AV Screen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
did you ever get the screen?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Greg, but I got mine last Thursday, and assembled it over the weekend. Its the F120, which is 120" wide 2.35 setup. This looks like a woven PVC material. Somehow there must be some sort of binding agent on it as the edges are not hemmed, or any other type of mechanical inhibitor to keep it from coming apart.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does it look? And what was your previous screen?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't projected onto it yet. Razz

Actually, this isn't going to be a definitive comparison to the Draper M1300. I say this, because the Draper was used with a GE Imager 601 CRT projector and the Seymour will be used with a JVC RS20 digital projector.

I will say that it is brighter in ambient light reflection than the Draper was, but this could be a fool's observation rather than an analytical observation. The Draper is 33-1/3 SqFt while the Seymour is 42.55 SqFt (28% more area).

From my intended seating distance, you cannot see the weave under ambient (canned) lighting.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnish guy measured different screen materials to see how much these are affecting to SQ.

He also found out that response with Seamour is better, when speakers are placed little further back from screen material. Treble response was better with bigger distance between screen and speaker.

Screen material placed 2" from speaker front.

Screen material placed 4" from speaker front.

[/img]

Much smoother response, but 3 db boost to +8k didn't hurt though.

Curves are average from 3 measurements and 1/3 smoothed, B&K 4135 mic, Genelec 8040A speaker and 10" measurement distance in semi-acousted room.

Here's whole Finnish thread. Very Happy
http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showthread.php?t=67765&page=4

Thread have also same curves for Phifer SheerWeave (sun shade)
http://www.phifer.com/SheerWeave.aspx
It's cheaper and have better SQ, but PQ would be worst because surface roughness is higher. Not sure about color balance and gain.
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widescreen Review had a very large woven AT screen two issue article last year, done by Tony Grimani. Tony also presented a very informative seminar on this, on last year's HT Cruise. He clearly demonstrated that speakers need to be 6" off the AT screen or they suffer timbre shifting. This was very audible when running full range pink noise with a piece of woven AT screen material suspended in front of a speaker. The effect was fully gone at 6" off the speaker.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the recommendation for standalone speakers being X inches away from the screen wall, and the AT material being Y inches away, one is easily gonna consume three feet.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What speakers are you using, Wan? Paradigms, right? The Paradigms probably do, but not all speakers need that much breathing room away from the front wall.

But, yeah - 3' for the space behind the AT screen is pretty typical.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with 39" between front of screen and front of back wall...less space available for speakers once you add in screen wall framing, acoustic foam/insulation, etc.

Regarding the fabric. Be careful with it! I took it out of its shipping tube and laid it down and then accidently rested something on it (or stepped on it) and it got some wrinkles that were kind enough to transfer through the entire screen at about halfway up!

I stretched the crap out of it and they wouldn't go away when light was being shot down at the screen from top front. I took those bulbs out and it is fine and you definitely can't see anything when the projector is shining and the overhead lights are off.

I probably have my speakers about 6-8" behind the screen just based on the 2x4 framing of the screen and how close I pushed them forward. I like how it turned out! I have been completely slacking on finishing up the framing because have been super busy with other things.

I am thinking about using some drawer slides for adjustable side masking and getting lots of velvet to cover the areas below and above the new screen.

I did go huge but will probably end up masking a lot of it off...we will see.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The material in my order had some emboss-ments from the grommets, but one on the frame and in a room that was deliberately not kept cool for a couple of weeks allowed the material to relax and are now gone.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
The material in my order had some emboss-ments from the grommets, but one on the frame and in a room that was deliberately not kept cool for a couple of weeks allowed the material to relax and are now gone.

You ordered a whole frame kit, right? I just went DIY cloth cut at angle.

The wrinkles are less but are still there if you know where they are...not viewable when projected onto but when shining a light from above...definitely can still see them.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a blow dryer? If that doesn't work then try a heat gun but test it on a piece of scrap first.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Have you tried a blow dryer? If that doesn't work then try a heat gun but test it on a piece of scrap first.

Seymour AV STRONGLY RECOMMENDED not applying heat to their product. Something about the coating on the fabric would not respond well.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the material is PVC thread in a woven fashion, which apply heat in accidental high condition would melt that weave.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they are spraying it or if it comes that way from the factory. I can't believe a hair dryer would be damaging. This stuff sounds kind of fragile.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky - I believe the Center Stage material (and Reuben's material for that matter) are vinyl-coated fabric. Anything with vinyl in it will be susceptible to heat, and could shrink. Of course, that's what you'd be trying to do with the heat is to try to shrink the expanded/deformed area... But, you'd have to be very careful when doing so.

I don't think it's any more (or less) fragile than any other screen product with PVC in it.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Spanky - I believe the Center Stage material (and Reuben's material for that matter) are vinyl-coated fabric. Anything with vinyl in it will be susceptible to heat, and could shrink. Of course, that's what you'd be trying to do with the heat is to try to shrink the expanded/deformed area... But, you'd have to be very careful when doing so.

I don't think it's any more (or less) fragile than any other screen product with PVC in it.

SC

Exactly...I had just purchased the material and they didn't want ME doing it because they have no control over how much heat I would be applying and couldn't guarantee I wouldn't torch it.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 10db swing between 6.5k and 8k seems kind of crazy - an 8k sine wave would sound *half* as loud as a 6k sine wave! That'd have to wreck absolute havoc with audio quality...

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

Exactly...I had just purchased the material and they didn't want ME doing it because they have no control over how much heat I would be applying and couldn't guarantee I wouldn't torch it.

I understand that and as someone who heats a lot of materials I can see the potential danger. Thin vinyls can be easy to damage. I just have a hard time believing that a hair dryer would damage this. Sorry I didn't check the sample i had. It would have taken me ten seconds, but I forgot I had it.
fuzzybee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bump for an old thread.

How does CRT projection look on this screen material?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: