Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Windows Phone 7 - Any takers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Windows Phone 7 - Any takers? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
From my brief reading so far it seems that gaming integration with Xbox Live is supposed to be insanely good.

I don't do Xbox or Xbox Live so that is meaningless to me.

I think the integration with MS Office and I saw some early stuff regarding integration with Sharepointe...which our office uses would be pretty nifty.

I am not sure about the new interface. A major upgrade but I don't know about usability yet. I think they are trying to set themselves apart and have succeeded on that aspect.

My phone contract is up this month so I am in the market but I really want to go to Sprint to save some bucks on everything.

Any thoughts? Anyone been reading reactions, etc. from today's activities?

I am anxious to replace my archaic Omnia.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to blow your mind, but I think it looks pretty kick-ass. I'll have to go play with one to know for sure, based on first-look videos, I'm thinking it might be pretty sweet.

I am NOT impressed with Android the GUI department. Android reminds me of all the different Linux GUI's... Nice in certain ways and a cluster*&$# in others... Every time I pick up an Android device, it just looks so... Open source. Kind of tacked together, like nothing was really pre-planned, but they just kept adding stuff and adding stuff and adding stuff. Windows Phone 7 looks really polished in comparison.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
This is going to blow your mind, but I think it looks pretty kick-ass. I'll have to go play with one to know for sure, based on first-look videos, I'm thinking it might be pretty sweet.

I am NOT impressed with Android the GUI department. Android reminds me of all the different Linux GUI's... Nice in certain ways and a cluster*&$# in others... Every time I pick up an Android device, it just looks so... Open source. Kind of tacked together, like nothing was really pre-planned, but they just kept adding stuff and adding stuff and adding stuff. Windows Phone 7 looks really polished in comparison.

SC

I haven't played with a model yet (are they even out there?) but from the videos...it does seem a bit confusing on where things are.

The Android experience is fairly desktop like. I can agree it does look open source but I think it is more familiar from a computing perspective than this new WP7 GUI.

The hardware they are releasing is right in line with the super powered Android phones, so that is a start. Sprint is getting the 7 Pro which is a slide keyboard...not sure how I feel about that. It isn't available until first quarter of 2011...not sure I can wait that long.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

SC

Someone look outside....Did hell freeze over? hehe...j/k... I'm NOT impressed with Android myself. As I said before the development tools suck big time. I hope Win 7 Mobile makes it to some type of tablet device...We really might have something then.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an Xbox and have a Live account and I have spent probably an hour on it this year. This will probably be my last year in the Xbox unless Ubi decides to make effort on the Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six front again--which they haven't in more than a couple of years.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic PSN is free, Wan. Come over to the dark side and quit paying the Microsoft tax. Wink

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a PS3 Slim. I bought it a couple of months before the fat one took a surge and the HDMI died. I see that like the Silver Live account, the PSN Basic is still free. But, I cannot get use to the PS3 controllers. I think I am about done with gaming--especially since I have not played in months.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, Wan... Unlike Xbox Live Silver, the totally free PSN still gives you online gaming. The new PSN Plus just adds perks that were never in the regular PSN offering like some premium downloadable content, early/exclusive access to demos and games, and some push updating of patches and demos.

I know what you mean about the controllers, though I've gotten used to them just fine. I was happy to get used to them to avoid paying Microsoft $50/year to get something I get free from Sony. Plus, the PS3 is just such a superior piece of hardware to my 360 Arcade... That thing is a POS... The fans are louder than hell... I can hear the thing over my projector and Crown amps.

Anyway... Back to Windows Phone 7...

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching a few videos and the major thing I am noticing is the excessively long load times for any of the apps.

SC...have you noticed anything out of the ordinary in any of your viewing of demos?

I think the standard transition animation is ok and looks slick...but all of the other "HTC Hub" items, etc. are just slowing the device down it seems.

It isn't like these phones are underpowered...almost all of them have 1GHz and decent RAM.

I read a review of the games and I think I read it took 2 minutes to load!!! That is waaaay too long.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only demos I've seen were sort of "first look" type things... A minute or two of flipping around the OS, trying this, playing with that, etc., so I didn't see any games getting launched.

Two minutes to launch anything would certainly be ridiculous, let alone a game. I don't think I've ever had any iPhone app that took more than 10 seconds, and most are less than half that. I can't even comprehend how something could take a minute or more. That's crazy. Did the article say why? How could MS or any developer think that would fly? Weird.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
The only demos I've seen were sort of "first look" type things... A minute or two of flipping around the OS, trying this, playing with that, etc., so I didn't see any games getting launched.

Two minutes to launch anything would certainly be ridiculous, let alone a game. I don't think I've ever had any iPhone app that took more than 10 seconds, and most are less than half that. I can't even comprehend how something could take a minute or more. That's crazy. Did the article say why? How could MS or any developer think that would fly? Weird.

SC

I can't watch this video at work but I think the video on this page with the HD7:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/htc-hd7-first-hands-on/

It shows them launching an application called HTC Hub. Even the delay from icon press to the title screenshot seems way too long to me.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the phone looks really nice and responsive. But those weather animations get old fast. Also not sure why you'd need to see an "HTC HUB" animation, just open the app already! Smile
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
I can't watch this video at work but I think the video on this page with the HD7:

It shows them launching an application called HTC Hub. Even the delay from icon press to the title screenshot seems way too long to me.

Yeah, that was it... I guess it didn't seem that bad to me... It was about 5 seconds from pressing the launch button to when the opening animation played. I guess if I have my choice between an app that takes 5 seconds to launch, but has really beautiful graphics and animation, and another that only takes 2 seconds, but doesn't have all the cool stuff, I'd probably take the richer version. We're all getting pretty jaded when we can't wait 5 seconds for an app to launch. Wink

I assume they'll do some tweaking when they get user input and lose certain things to make it faster while still keeping the goodies where they count.

Besides, I assume you could just use a different weather app, different launcher, etc. if you wanted to skip the animation and super-glossy graphics.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

Yeah, that was it... I guess it didn't seem that bad to me... It was about 5 seconds from pressing the launch button to when the opening animation played. I guess if I have my choice between an app that takes 5 seconds to launch, but has really beautiful graphics and animation, and another that only takes 2 seconds, but doesn't have all the cool stuff, I'd probably take the richer version. We're all getting pretty jaded when we can't wait 5 seconds for an app to launch. Wink

I assume they'll do some tweaking when they get user input and lose certain things to make it faster while still keeping the goodies where they count.

Besides, I assume you could just use a different weather app, different launcher, etc. if you wanted to skip the animation and super-glossy graphics.

SC

NO NO NO ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPTABLE!! Laughing

I am coming from about 7 years on WinMo and pretty launching animations are worthless and a waste of time.

Quite a few coworkers got stuck with a VERY recent upgrade to WinMo 6.5 devices on very underpowered phones. The "incoming call" animation is so flashy that hardly anyone can get to it quick enough to answer the damn call.

I don't need fancy animations at all. I would prefer a phone to work not be bogged down by flashy animations.

I realize in this example you could just forgoe the HTC Hub as I probably would except when I wanted to show off the animations I suppose...but worthless in day to day use...completely worthless.

I want a phone that does what I need it to do and waiting for some clouds to stream by in order to see weather is completely worthless.

Sure the HW is catching up and the animations are smoother now...but those 5 seconds add up quick.

I think I could let the normal tile transition grow on me but the other stuff has to be able to be disabled or it would drive me up the wall (or so it seems from past experiences).
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M$ is all about the fluff, because they perceive their customer base as a field of dumb cows too stupid to run from the vehicle that will take them to the slaughterhouse.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
M$ is all about the fluff, because they perceive their customer base as a field of dumb cows too stupid to run from the vehicle that will take them to the slaughterhouse.

I guess apple does the same thing. Wait, so does every company that makes cowsumer products. moooo!
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I successfully picked up an HTC HD7 from eBay for about $200 on Tmobile. I did this for several reasons.

1.) I wanted to see what a 4.3" screen would feel like for day to day use.
2.) I wanted to test out i-Wireless coverage in and around the area I work and play.
3.) I wanted to see if Windows Phone 7 was ready for prime time.
4.) It's almost Father's day so I thought I could treat myself.

Just got the phone today and my initial impressions in simple statements are below:

Pros -
Fast scrolling and baked in animations
Simple setup
Huge Screen!
Great touch sensitivity
Tons of ino on the home screen!

Cons -
No address bar in landscape mode in browser (WTF?!) No toolbar at all!
Slow transitions when loading 3rd party programs (MSFT or Dev problem??)
Lack of "standard" app selections (Pandora, Dropbox, Skype, Logmein/Teamviewer, Angrybirds, etc.)
Hard buttons around the sides (volume, power, camera) lack feel...no feedback from button press
SD card not (easily) user replaceable
No forward facing camera

I am in the process of updating the phone a few times. I don't know if I will manage to hang onto this phone until the Mango update is released for the HD7 (if it is released at all for the HD7) but I will see how I like it for day to day use.

Currently I really only use my phone for email, web browsing, and phone. This will exceed my current usage experience by 100x based on screen size and full HTML alone.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...got ported over today. I can't believe how slick the GSM system with SIM cards really is.

I have been groomed on Sprint and led along by Verizon...it will be tough to go back. Hopefully with LTE it will be universal eventually across the US.

No contract unlimited everything for $68.85 after tax and fees! I was paying $64.57 for 300 minutes, 150 text messages, unlimited data. No contract! Phone that is currently a top tier phone on the carrier for $200 on eBay. At that price I will be able to pick up an Android phone and switch between the two as I see fit! Crazy cool. I am FREE!!

Plus I was asking about their tablet data plans and she tells me to just pop my phone SIM into the tablet and I would be good to go. That is crazy talk from a cell phone customer service rep!!!

Back to WP7...I had to do two updates last night when I synced it up with Zune...it is loading software MUCH faster now. I also have copy and paste (such a basic feature I know!).

Still haven't figured out why my 16gb card is only registering as 4gb...need to grille my eBay seller to make sure nothing funny is going on. I can't remove the card or see what is stamped on it. I don't know if there is a way within WP7 to see what the card is listed as...so I have to trust it wasn't tampered with. I am guessing it was an issue when the reformatted before selling it. I might have to reformat again to see if that fixes it.

Watching some Toy Story 3 on Netflix to test the display and 3G...playing VERY smooth with decent sound and pretty great display. Need to dig into a few forums to make sure I am not missing any essential apps at the moment but I have what I was used to using...and they are working great.

To be continued...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that if I pay for 60 days at a time instead of just 30 days the total per month price comes out to $62.64! Awesome.

I have noticed that the previous owner of my HD7 robbed it of the 16gb card that came with and replaced it with a faster class 4, 4gb! I opened up the case and noticed the protective tape over the microSD card was removed, the screws had paint removed like they had been used, the warranty stick was gone, etc. I searched and saw that there are 32gb cards that are compatible so instead of putting a 16gb back, I will upgrade it.

While I had the phone open though, I noticed that there is some damage to some phone components...an antenna possibly?

You can see how wrinkly it is...it is a very thin gold colored strip of metal and the top 40% of it is broken and doesn't connect both sides anymore. I haven't noticed any connection issues with wifi and have noticed questionable 3G performance but that may be coverage in my area, since I have no experience with the GSM system in my area.

BTW - people on eBay lie about unlocked phones all the time evidently. I have bid on three different phones and won two auctions. Each of the people selling the phones listed them as unlocked and "no carrier". The two auctions I won the seller sends me a note letting me know the phone isn't actually unlocked. The first seller offered to unlock it for me and the other didn't know how to unlock the phone. WTF! Why list it as unlocked if the phone isn't unlocked?!

I haven't left feedback for either auction but I want to leave negative feedback for the first one. He listed it as unlocked and it wasn't. He listed it as 16gb (which it is from factory) but I get it and realize the warranty has been voided and a 4gb card has been swapped in its place. He did send me a 16gb card (with old pictures of him smoking weed on it!) but I am not sure if it is compatible, since MSFT for some reason has some strange SD card requirements.

Back to the WP7 software...Angry Birds is now available! Thumbs Up

Foursquare was re-released. Engadget released an app. I am really liking the Xbox aspect of it. Windows 8 revealed to be very similar to WP7. I feel strange to admit it, but I am getting pretty excited to see where WP7 is headed. With Nokia releasing hardware very soon and rumors of the Galaxy SII WP7 device it should be a fun fall.

(I don't think anyone is reading this now that SC is gone...oh well)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read it,

the one thing I have to say is... if the phone had that many issues with it that were not clearly shown in the description... I WOULD leave negative feedback.

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and I have gotten a couple negative feedback over the years for some of the most stupid stuff you could possibly imagine (none of which was related to a wrong doing or mistake on my end, just the incompitence of the buyer).

Us sellers hate negative feedback, but from what I am reading, that seller you dealt with DESERVES a negative feedback. I would be furious about the voided warranty, the "16GB" card not being there, and the damage to the phone internally.

No seller should be able to get away with that kind of thing, and its that type of scamming that has given ebay a bad name. I think ebay is still one of th ebest places online to get a great deal and find almost anything you can imagine, but with sellers like that I can't blame someone for their decisions to not use or like ebay.

So STICK IT TO HIM Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: