Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Mac - Sony 52" Bravia KDL-52W3000 LED Board Out - Worth

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Mac - Sony 52" Bravia KDL-52W3000 LED Board Out - Worth Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Quote:
Sony 52" Bravia KDL-52W3000. 2 1/2 years old. LED board out. Everything else good. For parts only. Pick-up only. This TV was top of the line 2 years ago. Too bad the LED board went out since it had the best picture of the year award in 2009. Perfect case and remote.

He is asking $250...is it worth it? This would be great for my basement!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed the service manual and have been looking at it and I cant figure out why he states the LED board. The only LED board I see is for the power on and standby LED. Its a CCFL backlight so its not LED related that way. Any idea of the symptoms? Definitely a nice tv.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
I grabbed the service manual and have been looking at it and I cant figure out why he states the LED board. The only LED board I see is for the power on and standby LED. Its a CCFL backlight so its not LED related that way. Any idea of the symptoms? Definitely a nice tv.

It sounds like he doesn't know what is wrong...I will shoot him an email.

He might be trying to sell an oven door in a box for all I know.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small chance I might have what you need. I've been parting out a lot of LCD TVs with smashed screens, including some Sonys...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is his reply:

Quote:
The picture comes on and the left 25% is blurred and slow motion. I had Bettendorf TV come out and look at it and was told it had a bad LED board. Everything elseo works great. Cabinet is perfect. I was offered $200 for the set from them. I paid $2800 for it 2 1/2 years ago. I also looked at e-bay and saw what all the parts were worth individually. I won't take less than $250. period. I can take pictures if you would like. Thats the best I can tell you. They said it woud cost as much to fix as to buy a new one. Thanks.

I don't think he has been following prices of LCD TV's since he bought his. Wink

I see 60" Sharps at Dell for $1500 every other week!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a stupid response. What he paid for the set two years ago is irrelevant. What the parts go for on ebay is irrelevant, unless he puts no value on his time (or anybody else's).

I'd email him back and tell him to take the $200 from the TV shop and run, since nobody in their right mind would pay $250 for a busted TV, no matter what it cost two years ago. Wink

Here's a question: If the TV shop offered him $200 for it, then why is he screwing around listing it on craigslist for another $50? I'll tell you why... Because they didn't offer him $200 for it; they offered him a $200 credit for it towards another TV - which is clearly not the same thing.

I'd email him back and say, "Thanks, but that's more than I'm willing to risk. If you don't end up selling it, I'll take it for $100." That is, if Mac says this is probably a reasonably easily fixable condition.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Here is his reply:

Quote:
The picture comes on and the left 25% is blurred and slow motion. I had Bettendorf TV come out and look at it and was told it had a bad LED board. Everything elseo works great. Cabinet is perfect. I was offered $200 for the set from them. I paid $2800 for it 2 1/2 years ago. I also looked at e-bay and saw what all the parts were worth individually. I won't take less than $250. period. I can take pictures if you would like. Thats the best I can tell you. They said it woud cost as much to fix as to buy a new one. Thanks.

I don't think he has been following prices of LCD TV's since he bought his. Wink

I see 60" Sharps at Dell for $1500 every other week!

Now that description has me a little concerned. I did a little checking and that model along with some similar models have bad panel problems. Not lots but some. So I would be concerned of the problem being the panel itself.

Oh, and the prices of stuff on ebay doesn't mean thats what they are worth. I have located boards on many occasions for less then ones posted on Ebay. And they were from reputable suppliers. Add to that, only certain boards may have some value, not all of them. Some will never be sold as they dont have problems with those boards.

And the bad LED board is funny. If you want to play with him I would ask him specifically what board is the LED board. You were told that, that TV does not have an LED board. I would be curious of that response. Then ask him for bettendorf's phone number so you can call and ask then what the diagnosis was for his tv.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message sent...let's see what the real story is on this board.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080p 42" Panasonic Viera (11/07 manufacture date) is in da house... For $50. Wink

Hear back from your guy, Greg?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
1080p 42" Panasonic Viera (11/07 manufacture date) is in da house... For $50. Wink

Hear back from your guy, Greg?

SC

Something's fishy...no response and the first one seemed a bit odd...it isn't listed anymore so maybe he sold it already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: