Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDCP Master Key released

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revgen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: HDCP Master Key released Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
At least it claims to be. Can Moome use this in his future products?

Key Pasted Here:
http://pastebin.com/kqD56TmU

Story posted here.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/hdcp-master-key-supposedly-released-unlocks-hdtv-copy-protect/
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange for a first post.... Rolling Eyes
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on "that other AV site" yesterday - the discussion rapidly diverged from uses of the master key into the legality of copying content and the irrationality of the music/movie industry. You know, sh*t that's been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum.

Early on I asked the question if this could be used to remove HDCP from the signal chain to prevent a new HDMI handshake every time the resolution or frame rate changes. I have a BDP-80 feeding a Lumagen XE in source direct mode, and sometimes there are 7 or 8 different handshakes during the process leading up to watching a movie, which gets down right annoying.

I know the HD Fury does this sort of thing, but I don't want an analog signal, I just want to bypass the HDCP.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
revgen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Strange for a first post.... Rolling Eyes

Thank you for answering my question.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I don't know the answer. Send him a PM...
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
sometimes there are 7 or 8 different handshakes during the process leading up to watching a movie, which gets down right annoying..

I'll bet.

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed: Intel says HDCP 'master key' crack is real...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/confirmed-intel-says-hdcp-master-key-crack-is-real

Whoah!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Confirmed: Intel says HDCP 'master key' crack is real...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/confirmed-intel-says-hdcp-master-key-crack-is-real

Whoah!

SC

Any bets on how long before the industry tries to stuff the cat back into the bag by suing anyone who publishes, links to, links to links to, or thinks about discussing linking to the key? I'm gonna go with 9 days - just enough to ensure that there's no possible way they can stop it. Razz

Quote:
"For someone to use this information to unlock anything, they would have to implement it in silicon -- make a computer chip," Waldrop told Fox News, and that chip would have to live on a dedicated piece of hardware -- something Intel doesn't think is likely to happen in any substantial way.

ICE anyone? Anybody know what kind of number crunching is required to use this thing, and why a suitably beefy FPGA or even a normal computer with the right I/O couldn't do it with emulation? Are there timing requirements that somehow prevent this being possible?

Either way, I wouldn't be getting too haughty about the key being impractical now that it's been broken, given that they were haughty about it being unbreakable not too long ago.

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"For someone to use this information to unlock anything, they would have to implement it in silicon -- make a computer chip," Waldrop told Fox News, and that chip would have to live on a dedicated piece of hardware -- something Intel doesn't think is likely to happen in any substantial way.

What else WOULD they say?!!?

All the grief the content owners gave the CE industry to make them lock everything down so they'd give up their precious content in HD, and now the two main methods for locking down said content are both cracked.

As somebody already pointed out, the only thing that scares me is what they'll want to try to come up with try to replace HDCP.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

As somebody already pointed out, the only thing that scares me is what they'll want to try to come up with try to replace HDCP.

Yep. My guess is that since blacklisting (in this case, preventing you from playing/copying certain things) has failed, they're going to move to whitelisting (only allowing you to play certain things). It's incredibly draconian, but like you said, they're up against the wall.

This seems somewhat more likely given that Intel is looking at implementing whitelisting at the chip hardware level - no unsigned code on your PC, period. If the binary hasn't been signed by (whoever), no runny - so, no independent software developer like Slysoft could get their code signed, and with the binaries locked out at the hardware level, it will be tough to break. Essentially it'd turn PCs into a walled garden like most phones are.

Absurd, overreaching, destructive? Sure. But we're in a world where people are trying to force electronic devices to have FM radios in them, and where I have to pay the RIAA to put my own music on a CDR. There's already plenty of absurdity out there; we're just gradually getting used to it...

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

Yep. My guess is that since blacklisting (in this case, preventing you from playing/copying certain things) has failed, they're going to move to whitelisting (only allowing you to play certain things). It's incredibly draconian, but like you said, they're up against the wall.

This seems somewhat more likely given that Intel is looking at implementing whitelisting at the chip hardware level - no unsigned code on your PC, period. If the binary hasn't been signed by (whoever), no runny - so, no independent software developer like Slysoft could get their code signed, and with the binaries locked out at the hardware level, it will be tough to break. Essentially it'd turn PCs into a walled garden like most phones are.

Absurd, overreaching, destructive? Sure. But we're in a world where people are trying to force electronic devices to have FM radios in them, and where I have to pay the RIAA to put my own music on a CDR. There's already plenty of absurdity out there; we're just gradually getting used to it...

Seems to me they would slip this into the hardware without telling anyone and turn it on once they had saturated the market with the chips.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an in-depth article on it.

http://www.audioxpress.com/audiobytz/the_undoing_of_hdcp.htm

Athnaasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC[/quote]

Any bets on how long before the industry tries to stuff the cat back into the bag by suing anyone who publishes, links to, links to links to, or thinks about discussing linking to the key? I'm gonna go with 9 days - just enough to ensure that there's no possible way they can stop it. Razz

Quote:

ICE anyone? Anybody know what kind of number crunching is required to use this thing, and why a suitably beefy FPGA or even a normal computer with the right I/O couldn't do it with emulation? Are there timing requirements that somehow prevent this being possible?

Either way, I wouldn't be getting too haughty about the key being impractical now that it's been broken, given that they were haughty about it being unbreakable not too long ago.[/quote]

Exactly why I was a little suspicious after reading the first post.............. Wink
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Here is an in-depth article on it.

http://www.audioxpress.com/audiobytz/the_undoing_of_hdcp.htm

Athnaasios

From the article:

"There are many things you can do with the master key. If you are a manufacturer who doesn't want to pay the HDCP licensing fees (see below), you can generate your own device keys at will. Attempts to blacklist your devices will fail since essentially now all HDCP devices are compromised. Since the device keys go into making up the session key for the audio and video encryption, you can build unauthorized eavesdropping devices that will allow you to view or hear or—ominously for the MPAA and RIAA—record supposedly protected content. And you can make your device appear to another connected HDCP device as if it were a different model made by a different company by imitating its HDCP behavior right down to its private device keys."

Now we just need to find someone with the technical expertise for building an "eavesdropping device" - anyone want to take a shot at it? Smile

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: