Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Projector (PT-AE4000) - Low Gamma 1.6-1.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Projector (PT-AE4000) - Low Gamma 1.6-1.5 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
Yesterday at night I played with my new EyeOne Display 2 and projector.
Setup - projector is placed 4.5 meters from the wall and projects image ~ 3.6 meters diagonal (pretty big).
Room is dark (at night) but with bright walls and ceiling.
Projection is done on white-painted wall.
I used CalMAN free generator as image source.
I calibrated several projector modes, but the problem is the same and the curves look pretty similar, so let's focus on the one mode - Color1 (apparently calibrated by Panasonic to THX standard), and only on greyscale calibration (I'll try its CMS tonight).
Even before calibration things were pretty good (deltaE was around 10), using configuration suggested by some reviewers gave slightly better results (deltaE ~ 9).
After calibration I got the following (first line X, second y, third Y, fourth deltaE):
0.305043 0.308653 0.313421 0.312700 0.312530 0.313309 0.314053 0.313791 0.313028 0.311424 0.312632
0.332846 0.328357 0.331183 0.330146 0.328860 0.329495 0.331203 0.330294 0.329226 0.329594 0.332641
0.807606 1.586590 2.714053 4.089776 5.777388 7.796586 10.337400 12.739144 15.485907 18.626299 21.956169
8.8 3.6 1.7 1.0 0.2 0.5 1.8 1.2 0.3 1.5 3.1
Subjectively image looks slightly better if I compare old and new settings side by side.
So far so good.

But gamma is completely off - average 1.56 - it was so before calibration and almost didn't change after that.
Luminosity is around 6.4 ftL (Y=~22), pretty low, I know - but movies look alright and overall it doesn't give "too dark image" feeling. Also remember - I watch movies (and did calibration) in total darkness.

Luminance curve looks strange - it is over the reference, like I get too much output.
I tried to play with gamma controls but before going blind I'd like to get some advice:
I have simple gamma control and complex one.
Simple are just 3 sliders - allowing to tweak gamma low/mid/high channels. Complex method is 4 curves (R/G/B/Y) with 10 points each, that can be modified from their initial "straight line" position.
So - should I try to low everything (according to luminance curve) or raise everything (according to gamma curve) ?
Or I should give up and those low gamma values are due to wall (versus screen) and reflections - and to improve that I should redo my room ?
And - which parts of the image I miss by watching it on such low gamma - details on bright, mid, dark, overall contrast ?
Any help will be very appreciated.

BTW - great guide, 10x Thumbs Up
rjn24601

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first question would be this- are you going to be watching movies on the projector from your PC? If so, great- if not, I would suggest using the DVD or Blu Ray player you are using with an appropriate test disc (such as AVS709- also free!). You will generally want to calibrate to the source you will be using as levels can vary from device to device.

I also have the Panny AE4000, and I ran a HCFR calibration last evening with my old Spyder II. Even with all of the inaccuracies of the Spyder I am still getting 10 ftL on Color 1 (and I do think that my particular Spyder's luminance measurements are quite a bit off the mark)- I actually think I am getting more than 10 ftL, but I won't know until my new meter arrives. My point is that you should be getting more than 6 ftL. Is your contrast set too low...? What sort of screen are you using?

The advanced gamma correction is pretty great for fine-tuning the greyscale. Focus on the RGB chart and look at the individual red, green and blue curves. If your greyscale is relatively accurate, you should only see a few bumps and dips around the standard for each line. Use the advanced gamma slider at the different input levels (ie: 50% = point 5 in the adjuster) to even out some of the bumps. You will not be able to effect 0% or 100% IRE, but you will be able to adjust everything in between. Very minor adjustments are all that should be necessary from 30 to 100 IRE.

I was able to get pretty remarkable results last night, though I do believe there are issues with my meter (being 3 years old). I am looking forward to having a go with the new meter. Hope this helps a bit!
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes, I am playing movies from the PC, and they are projected on white painted wall - simple paint, not GOO or something like this.
I got 6 FL in eco mode, don't remember what it was normal mode.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hours does the bulb have on it?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 350, 90% in Eco mode.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running cinema 1 color mode?

SC
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Color 1 and Cinema 1 modes, they are different.
In Color 1 mode only greyscale settings can be changed, not individual colors.
And yes, most of the time I use Color 1 mode. When watching TV or in daylight I use Normal or Dynamic modes.

Last edited by dumalkin on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this review:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae4000_projector_review.htm

They're saying 550 lumens in Color 1 mode. They're also saying you lose 32% in Eco mode, putting you down around 376 lumens. Lose another 10% with bulb brightness drop, a little more if you're toward the longer end of the zoom range, and you could easily be below 350 lumens, which at your screen size, can easily end up sub-6 fL. Personally, I think that's too dim. Youre giving up on of the best things about digital - a nice, bright picture. I'd either turn off Eco mode or move the projector forward and use a smaller screen size.

I'm not sure whats going on with the gamma thing.

SC
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My projector is about 4.5 meters from the wall, and projected picture is about 3.15 meters wide.
I tried to watch movies in Eco and Normal modes, and me, my wife and all my friends that were invited preferred Eco - Normal is too bright. May be it is due to reflections from the ceiling / walls, may be it is just matter of preferences, I don't know. I don't have problem with the brightness of the picture, only with apparently bad gamma.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your average gamma and luminance curves completely agree with each other, which can be a bit confusing. Think of average gamma as describing how quickly the projector rises out of black. Here is a great depiction of various gammas:

Although it seems counter-intuitive, the higher the gamma value, the slower the projector comes out of black (depicted by the light blue line gamma = 2.2). The lower gamma value, the quicker the projector comes out of black (depicted by the dark blue line gamma = 1.

Your gamma and target luminance curve are directly tied together - the former dictates the shape and values of the latter, again illustrated by the image above. I would highly recommend downloading gregr's Display Calibration Calculator - amongst other nifty features, if you tell it what your target gamma and Y at 100IRE are, it will tell you the target Y at 10IRE-90IRE.

It looks like your greyscale is pretty decent - it's your luminance (and hence your gamma) that is off by quite a bit. I'd suggest using the Y control under PICTURE -> ADVANCED MENU -> GAMMA ADJUSTMENT -> ADVANCED to properly set the luminance at each IRE as close as possible to the target values spit out by gregr's calculator.

If you really want to gnat's ass things, you can use the individual R/G/B gamma correction (instead of the Y control) to tweak the greyscale and luminance at each IRE. This will be more time consuming but will essentially act as an 11-point parametric gamma/greyscale control.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@HogPilot:
Thanks, now it starts to make sense. I'll try it tonight.
So, if I get you correct, my projector comes out of black too fast (it is too bright ?). How it can be if total FL at 100 IRE is totally according to spec and is rather low ? It is device manufacturer defect, design problem or installation problem ?
Can projecting on the wall (as opposite to normal screen) can give such result ?
I thought this projector should work pretty close to "ideal" out of the box, without additional tweaking, and in greyscale department it did (deltaE < 9), and in gamma it is so off - strange.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumalkin wrote:
@HogPilot:
So, if I get you correct, my projector comes out of black too fast (it is too bright ?). How it can be if total FL at 100 IRE is totally according to spec and is rather low ? It is device manufacturer defect, design problem or installation problem ?
Can projecting on the wall (as opposite to normal screen) can give such result ?
I thought this projector should work pretty close to "ideal" out of the box, without additional tweaking, and in greyscale department it did (deltaE < 9), and in gamma it is so off - strange.

You're confusing two different things - your MAX brightness is set with the contrast control, as well as bulb setting, and which end of the zoom you're on. The brightness at 10 IRE - 90 IRE is set using the gamma control, and this is where I'm saying your projector is coming out of black too fast. I'll try to explain better tonight when I have more time.

SC
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumalkin wrote:
@HogPilot:

To expand on what I said earlier:

Your projector's max brightness is determined by multiple variables. Bulb setting is self explanatory. If your projector has a manual iris or aperture - which the AE4000U does not - this can be used to trade brightness for contrast. Also, unless your projector has a constant aperture zoom - which very few do - putting the projector at short throw/max zoom will increase your light output, whereas putting it at long throw/min zoom will decrease light output but increase native contrast. Finally, there's the contrast control in the picture menu - this controls how the panels are driven, and is used in conjunction with contrast test patterns to set contrast properly. If you've already done this correctly, then the only way of achieving more calibrated light output from your projector is to mount it closer to the screen at the shortest throw possible and/or put it on high bulb output.

At 3.6 meters wide, 6fL equates to about 470 lumens, which is definitely within the AE4000U's output range (depending on zoom) when calibrated. And that's for a 1.0 gain screen - I have no idea what the gain of your wall is. So your only real option for getting more light reflected back to your viewing position is to use a high gain screen, which comes with certain compromises.

As far as your gamma, when I say "rising out of black too fast" I'll refer you back to the gamma diagram I posted above. The projector represented by the dark blue line rises out of black too quickly - you can see 50 units of stimulus (which would equate to about 20IRE on your calibration graphs), it puts out 0.2 units of illumination. The projector represented by the light blue line is about 1/10th that, and has a properly set gamma. Your projector is approximately represented by the green line - as you can see, it "rises out of black" much quicker than the light blue line, even though both projectors end up at 1.0 units of illumination by the time they reach 100IRE. This means that dark areas of the picture are being reproduced significantly brighter than they should. Although this makes them more visible, it also gives the picture a much more washed out look, and deviates significantly from the gamma of the monitors used to master the original material.

If you have the option, you can also try using the basic gamma setting and just increasing the gamma value (I'm not sure if the AE4000 lets you set a number or just choose from various randomly labeled gammas, like A through E or something). This will be much quicker than adjusting Y at each IRE manually, but it probably won't be quite as accurate either.

Clear as mud? Laughing

SC
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote before, I have no problem with picture brightness.
I tried to get gamma to more "normal" values.
1. Although display calculator seems to be very handy, I can't get how to use it - every time I change gamma values of 10%-90% steps, maximal brightness at 100% level is changed as well, so I can't fix it in one pass, it is iterative process.
2. I got gamma values 2.18, 2.2, 2.26 and so on - first by lowering gamma settings in gamma Y curve, then by readjusting colors according to guide to keep deltaE small, and finally by adjusting individual gamma curves. In the end I got deltaE around 1.5, and gamma 2.18
3. Total maximal brightness increased by around 30% - don't know why.
4. Windows desktop looks more deep and in general - better.
5. But - when I play movie through player - I get no midlevel details, everything is too black. It looks like player doesn't use windows gamma settings (that was apparently way off, and was compensated using projector settings), and works with some other much more correct gamma - because when I use default gamma curves movies look very natural.
6. Conclusion - I shouldn't use software image generator but get calibration dvd instead, play it using the same player that is used for movies and retry everything.

Do you know any free downloable calibration dvd alternatives or I have to order commercial disks from Amazon ?
rjn24601

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is your best bet, for certain. The AVS709 disc is highly recommended. I have many calibration discs and this is the one I prefer. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll track it down. And it's 100% free! As long as you have a DVD burner. It even works for Bluray- which is sweet!

Hogpilot- terrific explanations, btw!
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumalkin wrote:
As I wrote before, I have no problem with picture brightness.
I tried to get gamma to more "normal" values.
1. Although display calculator seems to be very handy, I can't get how to use it - every time I change gamma values of 10%-90% steps, maximal brightness at 100% level is changed as well, so I can't fix it in one pass, it is iterative process.

Yeah, I remember having the same troubles at first too. Here's what you do:

1. Open the AccuPel Display Calibration Calculator.
2. Click on the "Greyscale" tab.
3. Under "Target Gamma" in the lower left hand corner, select whatever gamma you're trying to calibrate to.
4. Now under the "Grayscale Luminance Values" section, click in the manual entry box in the "Y" row under the "100%" in the "Signal" row and enter your maximum Y value. This should be in whatever unit your calibration program is measuring Y.
5. In the "Target Y" row you will have all the target Y values for each signal level (same as IRE on your test patterns). These are the values that you want to attain at each IRE on your luminance/gamma curve when you calibrate your projector.

dumalkin wrote:
2. I got gamma values 2.18, 2.2, 2.26 and so on - first by lowering gamma settings in gamma Y curve, then by readjusting colors according to guide to keep deltaE small, and finally by adjusting individual gamma curves. In the end I got deltaE around 1.5, and gamma 2.18

Is 2.18 your average, or is that what you got at each IRE? As you can see from the calculator, it's possible to have different gamma values at each IRE depending on what you set the Y to for that IRE.

dumalkin wrote:
3. Total maximal brightness increased by around 30% - don't know why.
4. Windows desktop looks more deep and in general - better.

Huh, odd that your maximum brightness increased. Glad your Windows desktop looks better Smile

dumalkin wrote:
5. But - when I play movie through player - I get no midlevel details, everything is too black. It looks like player doesn't use windows gamma settings (that was apparently way off, and was compensated using projector settings), and works with some other much more correct gamma - because when I use default gamma curves movies look very natural.
6. Conclusion - I shouldn't use software image generator but get calibration dvd instead, play it using the same player that is used for movies and retry everything.

And here's the crux of calibrating - if you use a pattern generator to calibrate your display, and then you send the display a signal from a piece of equipment that's doing screwy things with the picture, things will still look off. This is why pattern generators are only the first step, and you ALWAYS calibrate afterwords for each individual piece of equipment.

In your case, it sounds like something is going on with the program used to play your movies, but either way if you download a free copy of the AVSHD 709 test pattern disc, you can play it through your movie program and use it to calibrate your display to take into account whatever is going on. As you said, do everything the way you did it before for the calibration, only this time calibrate the display using patterns from the test pattern disc played back through your player software.

dumalkin wrote:
Do you know any free downloable calibration dvd alternatives or I have to order commercial disks from Amazon ?

You can download various versions the free AVSHD test pattern disc here. You can burn this on to a normal DVD for playback as a BD.

SC
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Results Reply with quote

I repeated the whole calibration process using my player program and calibration disk from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 - "Patched" version. Can't understand the difference between all variations they have there ... I didn't burn it to DVD, just mounted .iso file on the file server and played it over the network - shouldn't matter for calibration purposes, I think.
Can't get menus to work, probably player problem, so I just played stream files (stream #11, if I remember correctly).
I proceeded as follows - first, set everything to "default", then made first measurement just to know where I am. deltaE was around 7-8, Gamma - 1.84.
Then I repeatedly played with Advanced Gamma curves (Y), to make gamma curve on HCFR as close as possible to 2.2
After several passes I got it pretty straight over all IREs. Then I took a look on RGB levels, and they were way off (just like they were before the calibration, may be even worse). Using the iterative technique from the guide I adjusted colors to give small (< 3) deltaE.
Obviously it messed up gamma again. So now I left gamma Y curve as is, and started to fix individual colors using color gamma curves. Stopped when I realized it is 2:30 am here, and I have better things to do - so 80/90 IRE are in rare (as opposite to "well done" conditions). Before they were "steak tartar".
Results - gamma 2.26, deltaE < 3 except 80/90 IRE where it is 3.6 and 4.9 respectively.
I watched several scenes in recently viewed movies and played with settings on the projector - comparing new and old versions. Difference is very subtle but clearly seen. Interesting theoretical question is why gamma has to be tweaked at all - due to projection surface imperfections, projector design / manufacturing defects, or something else.
I'll fix 80/90 IRE next time I have time, for now it looks good enough.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, great job! You're definitely on the right track, and it looks like you'll have no problem getting those last two points to fall in line nicely.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: