Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My new HT-room project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: My new HT-room project Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Finally got new HT project started. I'm making new small theater room 2.7m x 5.2m to current cold storage behind garage. There is also 1/2 potato cellar under that storage room. I also have to cut some more room from garage. Room have door from backyard terrace, so it will be pretty good separated from other house.

Biggest challenge is to get old 100 mm (4") thick concrete floor removed from storage room, so I can cast new one to same level with garage floor. Thumbs Down I wonder why the hell they build potato cellar 1/2 way, so only bottom half is under ground. Laughing Maybe there was bedrock so high and they didn't had explosives.

There is only one good thing with this bloody cellar, I can use it for IB subs when I'm casted new floor. Laughing

I have already ripped some storage and cellar structures out, like refrigerating machine and some wood paneling.

Need to make ceiling and insulation pretty fast, before it go under zero Celsius. Then I can start battle with concrete floor and brick wall.

Current_layout.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 KB
 Viewed:  41055 Time(s)

Current_layout.png

New_theater_layout.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.29 KB
 Viewed:  41057 Time(s)

New_theater_layout.png

Last edited by Ile on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's few pictures of current very early state of project.

Storage from door.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.09 KB
 Viewed:  41047 Time(s)

Storage from door.jpg

Cellar from door.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.92 KB
 Viewed:  41048 Time(s)

Cellar from door.jpg

Brick wall in best watching position.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.27 KB

Brick wall in best watching position.jpg

Removed cooling stuff.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.79 KB

Removed cooling stuff.jpg

View from storage door to backyard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  338.7 KB

View from storage door to backyard.jpg

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. With a backyard like that, who wants to go inside to watch a movie!!!
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics make me miss Europe.

Love the dual purpose Stairs/Ramp, My Papou had that at his house.

Looks like it will be a nice little room.

Will this be a second theater?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, incredible back yard. I think I could make a living sitting out on that patio!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back yard looks good right now in the end of summer, lot of berrys, apples and plum. Few weeks ago we planted few raspberry and cherry plants for next summer, hope those last coming winter.

Nashou66 wrote:
Will this be a second theater?

Athanasios
First one to this house. We moved to this house in june, so haven't got theater after that.
Haven't actually missed theater in summer, but now when it's getting cold and rainy I could use one. Very Happy

Kids love those dual purpose stairs and storage, they call it summer room and they slept there few nights in July.
Haven't seen many that kind stairs in here, maybe those are more common in southern Europe.
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got new subwoofer elements for IB today, found two new in box FI IB318 elements almost locally for fair price. Very Happy

Moved electricity-meter cabinet to outside wall, it was built inside wall. Now I can make room bit wider.
Cabinet is old, but company chanced meter few months ago to new one that can be read by gsm. Grey antennas can be seen over box.

http://www.genelec.com/
Invited 30 enthusiast from Finnish forum to speaker factory tour, so it's road trip tomorrow. Very Happy

Edit. I guess that brickie must been pretty drund when he made that wall. Laughing I'm heard that was not so uncommon here in 60-70'.

FIIB318.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.83 KB
 Viewed:  40639 Time(s)

FIIB318.JPG

electricity-meter cabinet.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.3 KB
 Viewed:  40639 Time(s)

electricity-meter cabinet.JPG

tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile wrote:
I guess that brickie must been pretty drund when he made that wall. Laughing I'm heard that was not so uncommon here in 60-70'.

That seems to be the norm everywhere. I worked on an historic house in DC, built in 1701 (I know, that is hardly historic by European standards). We found many bottles hidden in the brick walls.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day at Genelec factory was just amazing. Interesting lectures of their history, speaker designing and dsp. Factory tour, lot of demos and dinner...

Here's some photos. (not my)
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/735199/1//DVDPlaza%20Genelec?h=3c925e&p=0#/

My personal favorite was three 1036a main monitors at front. Shocked
http://photos-2.dropbox.com/i/l/sL6YnCl9graXJQ2enLbJSjbWIcuQ4ghr4WDpvBJPUaM/735199/1285016400/143d755#2
http://www.genelec.com/products/main-monitors/1036a/
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That backyard looks beautiful! can't wait to see what you do with the room. The great news is you're planning it around a Barco. Smile
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
That backyard looks beautiful!

Yeah, but it's Finland. It looks like that for four days in July. The rest of the time it looks like this:

Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:

Yeah, but it's Finland. It looks like that for four days in July. The rest of the time it looks like this:

Thumbs Up

Laughing
That picture was taken from northern Lapland at early spring. At winter it's much darker there, this could be taken at mid day.

Here in central Finland (500 miles to south) it looks bit different at winter. Trees are not dwarfs here, like in Lapland. Very Happy
http://www.keskisuomi.fi/galleria.php?kuva=1&id=3
1,2,3,5,9 pictures are taken about mile from our house.
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to drop the storage room floor, why not drop it further to create a riser out of the garage floor?
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:
If you are going to drop the storage room floor, why not drop it further to create a riser out of the garage floor?
Not a bad idea. I have to think about this. Haven't done calculation where I wan't riser to start, maybe it will be near where garage floor start.

Door from patio to theater might cause problems, I'd like to have theater floor elevation close to same as patio so that step is no needed right after door.

In wood riser I can built Helmholz resonators to eat room mode peaks or make porous absorbers. With concrete riser it's bit harder. Wink
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason you can't still build a wood riser, just don't drop storage area floor so much. It would give you excellent sight lines. Smile And you mentioned cast a new floor but wouldn't a wood floor for the whole room be cheaper/easier and give you some tactile feedback too? The dropped floor would also add some room volume, not a bad thing in a small space...

I just did the math. 8' 9" wide by 16' 9.5" long by 8' 1.5" high. I am working with 9' 5" wide by 28.5' long by 7'1" high (with four soffits at 79").

This is another rough idea but why not just drop part of the cellar floor? The width of the seating to the screen wall. One step down to the lower seating level, with the side aisle at entry door level. You could do a small front stage and have the IB subs vent forward where they won't flap the screen.

And can the Helmholz resonators be built on the lower back wall, wall to wall but lower then the seat backs?

Just throwing rough ideas at you. I know from personal experience with my build, that where you place every inch in a small room can make a huge difference.
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer insulated concrete ceiling over cold and damp root cellar, it's also better if I or somebody else want to turn theater back to one long garage. Same thing with constant floor level in whole space, it's boring but it's more versatile.

I know what you mean by every inch counts in small rooms, I got 5" more width by moving electric meter box to outside wall. Now I have about 9.5' width and room length can be chanced depending about needed space. I'm still going to keep theater length about 17-20' so I still have decent workshop behind back wall. Closet for amps and sources is going to bite small cut from workshop.

Yesterday evening I installed two missing ceiling joists, so I can start insulating and drywall installation soon. Still need to make some chances to air ducts first.
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice you have some flexibility with the length. My "people" space will be almost 21' long, with the front AT space 59" deep, and a rear AT space about 24" deep. The "wasted" 70 square feet of AT space hides 2800 watts of amps, 5 JTR T8s and 2 CB subs. So we have a very similar space, except yours is taller. Smile I redid the HVAC sheet metal to be able to get symetrical soffits and to shrink their size.
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:
I redid the HVAC sheet metal to be able to get symetrical soffits and to shrink their size.
I have similar plans and will add silencers to theater incoming and exhaust ducts.

Cellar had 6" square asbestos cement ducts for venting, those are now removed. I use plastic or sheet metal ducts for cellar so I can hide ducts inside wall.
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like we both are going full out, in a smaller space. Smile

I have difusers, a "reuse it" store had them cheap. My cold air return is a doubled walled/Green Glued 7' long, 150 pound baffled box that is hidden in the ceiling joist cavity. You have to look hard to even see the 60" x 2.5" difuser in front of the rear soffit. I still have to build the baffle box for the intake side, which will use a side wall kick panel to hide the difuser. It just dawned on me that while I rebuilt the HVAC, none of it is attached to the theater. The only theater related thing about the rebuilt HVAC was to get a more compact soffit with a little more headroom, and to be able to mirror it on the other side wall.

Now I am really curious! Smile What finishes are you planning?

As for the asbestos cement ducts, the asbestos was imbedded in the concrete or a lining?
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked simple studio/auditorio looks, now after visiting to Genelec factory I have been thinking to make something similar gap resonator ceiling and walls they had in their listening rooms.

Don't have room for that kind triangle walls though. Crying or Very sad

Construction was: concrete wall- air gap - mineral wool - molton canvas - open boarding.
Using black molton canvas and dark wood should look nice. Not so boring looking that plain acoustic tiles and should work even better. Have been thinking some thick and dark carpet to floor or dark wood floor like merbau or walnut parquet.

Only ducts ends was imbedded in the concrete, where those was going through cellar ceiling. Other part was inside wall lining, actually both ducts had sort of closet built over those. Exhaust duct can be seen at the corner without closet, also those two missing ceiling joist can be seen.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/files/brick_wall_in_best_watching_position_458.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: