Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

power mosfet designs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: power mosfet designs. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
hi i am on the lookout for a new amp and since i am cheap and want the best possible sound i was wandering if anyone is familiar with rod elliott from esp (elliott sound products).

http://sound.westhost.com/project101.htm

this seems pretty cool, with a big toroidal trafo of 800va and 60.000uf (60*1000or 30*2000)capacitance this thing must drive even the most demanding speakers.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

I wouldn't expect audiophile quality sound from this design, but on the other hand I'd bet it sounds okay. Just depends on what you want for the money you pay. Have you had a look at the audio website, diyaudio.com yet for other circuits?

Don't get over worked about the 60,000 uf in the power supply, that much capacitance in the power supply only tends to make the low end mushie and lose.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably just me, but I wouldn't trust any low production run audiophile amp, no matter what the specs say. Why not get a good used MOSFET amp from a known company like Ashly?

Sumpin' like this one is a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Ashly-FTX-2000-power-amplifiers-Nice-/380237026370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887e49442

There aren't any on eBay right now, but this guy might still have one. THe FET500 on eBay now from an iffy seller dates from 1985, so that's a bit old, but the FET 2000 or FTX 2000 are newer..
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have been looking on his site and all of them think the amplifier sounds great, besides it will be fun to do.
walter i have been looking on the diy site and there are some great designs for speakers as well.
i sold my philips fb860 speakers a couple years ago and i still regret i did that, had them advertised 1 day and had 3 buyers which made me think that i priced them too low, 300 euro.
as for the 60.000uf how do you know that cause others swear by it.
keep in mind that it will be 30.000uf per channel driven by 2 500va toroidal transformers. (my original post said 800va but i have changed my mind and will use 2*500va)

age of the amp doesnt matter much, the fets can be replaced by newer fets from hitachi and a few caps can be replaced, only thing that needs to be done is changing the bias.

my original post said 800va but i have changed my mind and will use 2*500va.

if someone knows a good site for heatsinks please let me know.

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the link Curt posted, for the price those amps would probably be very good.

As for the PS caps, I've designed/bulit a few amps in the past and have experimented with alot of different things and if you want nice tight defined bass then don't use big electrolytics. My present bass amps use 800uf per rail of PP caps and it's the tightest bass I've ever heard and I've listened to a few audiophile sytems worth mega bucks before to compare with. But the PP caps are expensive and big.

For heatsinks look at surplus store sites.

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was thinking 1000uf 70 or 75v and then to the desired total of 30.000 per channel.
isnt 800 a bit low.
those mega buck amplifiers are for snobs that listen to boring jazz, lol.

http://www.haje.nl/product_info.php?cPath=1417_1433_1442&products_id=22993
this will be the transformer i will get.

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.avx.com/docs/Catalogs/ffb.pdf
you have something like this?

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the caps I use are from solen.ca, they are the PA20000 units, looks like the price went up. They did have a great sale on them not too long as I recommended them to someone else not long ago. I bought mine probably 20 years ago.
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cheap are you looking for and how much power do you think you need?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the do it yourself project will cost about 500 euro, if i will use the solens a lot more 55dollars a piece Sad.
its not that i will be needing the power to play the music loud but a powerfull amplifier sounds so much better at normal listening levels.
150 watt rms in 8 ohm.

and this at a later stage:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Hi-Vi-3-Way-Tower/

Wombat

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd be much better off to buy a commercial amp, new or used, and modify it. Transformers and heatsinks and cases alone will cost more in parts. Only build from scratch if it's something genuinely high-end and classic, like the Leach Superamp, or a Nelson Pass class-A monstrosity.

The Behringer A500 is pretty good value, for example. Power is modest, but quite adequate for home use, and it's passively cooled. Trolling used sources may get you a comparable "mid-fi" amp (NAD, Carver, Adcom, Hafler for example.) There's probably other brands that are equally good and more common in Europe.

Alternatively, a sure winner for sound quality per $ or Euro would be a "Gainclone" chip amp. An LM3886 is shockingly cheap, so doubling or quadrupling them for parallel or bridged use is quite reasonable. Have a look at diyaudio.com, or just google gainclone.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pass labs Aleph 5 class A 60wpc stereo amp. It kicks some serious ass with the proper speakers ! Also great for heating your house in the winter........... Wink

aleph-5.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.57 KB
 Viewed:  19137 Time(s)

aleph-5.gif

Aleph 5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.35 KB
 Viewed:  19141 Time(s)

Aleph 5.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: