Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

improving outdoor projector image

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekwoodard

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: improving outdoor projector image Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am working with the following Projector Optoma EW330. I choose it so that I won't be pissed when I burn it up from high contrast and brightness. Other than a canopy over the projector and screen, is there anything that I can do to reduce the washout?
I understand that I am not going to get a great picture but any improvement helps.

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlin .22 to shoot out the outdoor lights?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wanman. I don't have a Marlin .22. Since it was you idea can you do me a favor and walk outside and shoot at the sun until it goes out. I appreciate it and thanks in advance.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be the first time, but I'm better with handguns. Very Happy
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in Boise, they don't use guns, they simply find someone with a good fastball to throw potatoes. Very Happy

I've been thinking if I can actually contribute something to this thread, and there isn't really. Kill any and all light falling onto the screen is about all you can do..
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Actually in Boise, they don't use guns, they simply find someone with a good fastball to throw potatoes. Very Happy

Potato cannon, lol. Shocked Shocked

1 part PVC assortment, 1 part hair spray, and 1 part grill igniter. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, they DO use guns 'cause a potato cannon is also called a SPUD GUN!!!

Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
betel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear projection is much better suited for high ambient light conditions.

Here's an outdoor screen I'd like to sell since I have never used it. The pictures below are with it's front projection screen installed. Also comes with a rear projection screen.

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear projection would also allow you to use tarps to block in the space between the projector and screen to get rid of any light between the two.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the rear projection idea but it isn't going to happen fasten enough to watch the Broncos stomp Virginia Tech tomorrow night. As for potatoes, I don't understand why Idaho is known for potatoes. I have not seen a potato plant in the 32 years I have lived here. I really wish I could find one potatoes are expensive here, and I like fresh fries.
Here is where my set up is. I have a 10x20 canopy with one sidewall on and an endwall on behind the screen. The screen is a 7x12 piece of screen material ( I have folded the edges over triple thick and installed eyelets; reducing the screen to about 7x11.5) secured to the end of the canopy.
To reduce light more I am going to add a couple of snow blankets over the cover and existing side so no light shines through. I am also going to add the second wall to half length ( i still have to have room for people to see the game). I will let you know if it helps.

Regarding the rear projection screen how is that set up? Just like it is shown or do you have to block the light from the screen in the same manner. Could I use it pretty much the same as my set up now with it fully enclosed snow blankets over the entire canopy with one end open using a rear projection screen in place of my current screen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: