Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Is it possible to restrict signature links?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to restrict signature links? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
To Club Members only? or to people with over 50 posts?

I think people come here to sign up and put a few posts with signature links just to drive up their websites traffic.

Some sort of SEO trick I guess. It is annoying.

PS - I do realize the irony of me complaining as I have a few links in my signature and one of them is not related to HT...
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signature links are indeed one reason why spammers will sign up and then post nonesense just to have their URLs listed. It's all about SEO (search engine optimization) as you mentioned. It's not so much that people will actually click on their links, but if they can use automated tools to sign up to forums in a few hours or days, they can quite litterally have tens of thousands of links to their site "live" on the internet that search engines then crawl which brings their ranking up.

I'm not sure I'd want to limit it to users with lots of posts however as I don't have any issues with members advertising their sites here, as you do. Go for it. When a spammer does post it's pretty obvious and we nuke them typically within hours. Not showing their signatures would lessen their SEO task but wouldn't stop them from signing up posting unfortunately.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Signature links are indeed one reason why spammers will sign up and then post nonesense just to have their URLs listed. It's all about SEO (search engine optimization) as you mentioned. It's not so much that people will actually click on their links, but if they can use automated tools to sign up to forums in a few hours or days, they can quite litterally have tens of thousands of links to their site "live" on the internet that search engines then crawl which brings their ranking up.

I'm not sure I'd want to limit it to users with lots of posts however as I don't have any issues with members advertising their sites here, as you do. Go for it. When a spammer does post it's pretty obvious and we nuke them typically within hours. Not showing their signatures would lessen their SEO task but wouldn't stop them from signing up posting unfortunately.

Kal

True...I guess they are mass signing up and don't stick around to see if the link works. I just hate it.

I check technorati once every few months and a few of the top 10 health blogs are just spam sites...I don't get the business model but evidently it is possible to make money somehow like this? Surely it isn't from Google Adsense?

Care to shed any light on how they make money? And is it worth it?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of different ways to make money... some sell actual products or services, some make money off advertising (Google Adsense or otherwise). By doing this spamming they're simply increasing their exposure which in turn gets more traffic to their site(s).

Is it worth it? No idea. It's done because the cost is basically nothing. People can post in thousands of forums or spam millions via email for next to no cost at all. If it doesn't work they're not really out much $$$ at all other than the cheap software to do it. Compare that to printing flyers and handing them out door to door or sticking them on car windshields in parking lots. That's labour intensive and costs money (paper, printing). Or worse yet, taking out magazine ads, newspaper ads, radio commericals, TV commercials, etc. Very expensive!

The good thing about expensive advertising is that because it's expensive (relatively speaking) as compared to spamming, the quality is better. That's why SPAM is typically so crappy and poorly written. The cost of entry is so low that anyone and everyone can do it for next to free.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: