Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer575

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I got my parts back and the tv works once again. It was the main board. Thanks to rayolman for your help and everyone else for your past posts.
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer575 wrote:
JakeKlem, sounds like you may have more than one problem. I'm in no way an expert on this, but I learned a lot about how this TV works from trying to fix my problem. The 5v line is your always on line, that's what gets the signal from the remote or power button and tells everything else to turn on. The 12v line goes back to your main board and gets the rest of that going (i.e. your video and sound). your 24v line goes to your inverter boards (back-lights). That's what's weird, if they have power your back-lights should at least be lighting up (should be getting that, TV looks on but the screen is black look). If you do have light I would for sure say it's the main board.
Oh, and your voltage readings are fine. They will hardly ever be right on, they should be very close though, within 1v. If it spikes or drops rapidly, that's when there's a problem

As for an update on mine, I sent off the power supply to Modus Link, that was fine (should have listened to Royalman). Then I learned they let you send in multiple boards and will check them in unison. So I sent in the main board, they told me that was defective and fixed it. They only charged me a $35 diagnostics fee on the power supply. cost me about $180 with shipping when all is said and done. Not bad considering a new main board is about $230 and I should now have a 6 month warranty. I am supposed to get them back today, so I will post and let every one know if that did it.

Thanks for the quick reply Homer and I'm glad you got your tv up and running again. So from what you're saying, it sounds like the inverters or lamps could be the culprit. Is there a way I can test these? I recall reading that the inverters have a high output so its best not to touch that.

The other thing I noticed is the main filter cap on the power supply has a sort of subtle bumpy top. Would I still be getting the proper voltages if this cap was bad?

Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an update on my tv. The new caps came in and I tested them with my DMM... turns out the DMM wasn't giving a proper reading. So I exchanged it. Replaced the old caps with new ones at CE9 and CE4 anyways and put it all back together... still nothing.

Mac, I had trouble finding the fuse mf1 (10a) on the master inverter. I could only find a 6.3a and 4a right by the power input plug. Could someone point me to where it might be hiding?

Homer, did motuslink say what they had to fix on the board?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the MF1 was on a slightly different model then yours so that may be why you cant find it.

Give me specific details on what your tv is doing. Does it click when power is pressed? Does the Vizio light, light up? If so, what color? Any sounds at all. And responses when buttons pushed?

Be specific.

And your exact model number and build date.
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
I believe the MF1 was on a slightly different model then yours so that may be why you cant find it.

Give me specific details on what your tv is doing. Does it click when power is pressed? Does the Vizio light, light up? If so, what color? Any sounds at all. And responses when buttons pushed?

Be specific.

It is a Vizio GV47L FHDTV10A Manufactured: Feb 2007

Once plugging the tv in vizio turns amber, I press the power button on the tv, I hear the psu click and vizio turns white. buttons become unresponsive, no backlight, black screen. After turning on the pson and 5vsb both have 5V. 12v all have 11.79V. 24V to the sound amp has 24V. All 24V inverter outputs read 23.93V. I have to unplug the tv to shut it down as the buttons are unresponsive.

Any ideas?
Homer575

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did not tell me what they fixed. I looked the board over to try to see any new solder points but didn't see any. It's strange that your backlights aren't on if they are getting current. I wouldn't say it's your inverter boards yet though. If it were those, then the rest of the tv should still function, but since the vizio symbol and the control buttons get stuck on I would still lean towards the main board. I can't tell from that picture of your power supply, but your cap shouldn't be bumpy, it should have a flat bottom. Check out this site to read up on bad capacitors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakeklem wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

Be specific.

It is a Vizio GV47L FHDTV10A Manufactured: Feb 2007

Once plugging the tv in vizio turns amber, I press the power button on the tv, I hear the psu click and vizio turns white. buttons become unresponsive, no backlight, black screen. After turning on the pson and 5vsb both have 5V. 12v all have 11.79V. 24V to the sound amp has 24V. All 24V inverter outputs read 23.93V. I have to unplug the tv to shut it down as the buttons are unresponsive.

Any ideas?

Make another post so you have 5 and then send me a PM and I'll respond with some things for you to check.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer575 wrote:
It's strange that your backlights aren't on if they are getting current. I wouldn't say it's your inverter boards yet though.

More then the 24v is required for the backlights to turn on. You can have a solid 24v supply to the inverter(s) and without a few other things the backlights will never come on or come on and go right back off again..
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Homer575 wrote:
It's strange that your backlights aren't on if they are getting current. I wouldn't say it's your inverter boards yet though.

More then the 24v is required for the backlights to turn on. You can have a solid 24v supply to the inverter(s) and without a few other things the backlights will never come on or come on and go right back off again..

Mac, Would that be due to feedback circuitry?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakeklem wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
Homer575 wrote:

Mac, Would that be due to feedback circuitry?

Yes and no.

Yes meaning that the feedback can trigger a safety shutdown of one of the other signals to the inverter and loose the backlights but with the 24v supply intact.

No meaning you could be missing one of the other signals required to turn on the backlights and it have nothing to do with the inverter.
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
zippityzack

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: ModusLink Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's been a big help for me so I thought I would keep it going.

I don't know much about electronics repair, but my uncle tested F3 and said it had blown. He put a bypass around it and the tv still wouldn't turn on, at least not beyond lighting up the front buttons and "Vizio" beneath the screen, which is all it's done since the "big pop." As much as I would like to just replace the fuse and call it good, he said there's a larger problem and the main board needs to be replaced.

I know many of you have used ModusLink, but I just spent 40 mins on hold (the last 20 of which I had "zero" callers ahead of me!?). Are they generally pretty good about customer service, and this is an anomaly? I gave up and sent an email, but who knows if that'll be returned. Also, the hold message said that if the board is out of stock on their site, which it is, they will arrange and pay for shipping to their facility. Has anyone done this, and do you know if they will also take and test my power supply as well?
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ModusLink Reply with quote

zippityzack wrote:
Hi everyone, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's been a big help for me so I thought I would keep it going.

I don't know much about electronics repair, but my uncle tested F3 and said it had blown. He put a bypass around it and the tv still wouldn't turn on, at least not beyond lighting up the front buttons and "Vizio" beneath the screen, which is all it's done since the "big pop." As much as I would like to just replace the fuse and call it good, he said there's a larger problem and the main board needs to be replaced.

I know many of you have used ModusLink, but I just spent 40 mins on hold (the last 20 of which I had "zero" callers ahead of me!?). Are they generally pretty good about customer service, and this is an anomaly? I gave up and sent an email, but who knows if that'll be returned. Also, the hold message said that if the board is out of stock on their site, which it is, they will arrange and pay for shipping to their facility. Has anyone done this, and do you know if they will also take and test my power supply as well?

Wow, I thought this had been put to bed. They were usually pretty good imho. They will test your equipment for a charge, but again sounds like the main board again as usual. Like was said earlier I checked when I got my parts back and could not tell, what was replaced. But since it is modular and just a board I would just get the main board repaired first. If you don't see anything blown up or burnt and charred on the power supply, I would hold off on it for awhile, Good Luck
zippityzack

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was put to bed, this thread or Vizio's issues?? Wink

I contacted MobusLink via email, and both boards are on their way. I figured I might as well get them both looked at since I'm going through the trouble. In the future, I would bypass the phone option and just email; much more efficient.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of inquires on the Vizio's. I'm curious to know what the cost is for them to test a board with no problem and the cost to repair the problem board. If its worth my while I'll pickup a GV42L chassis for a test unit and see if I can beat those prices. I already have a VX37L test chassis.

Of course that's providing the boss doesn't mind or he wants to do it himself. Very Happy
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
There seems to be a lot of inquires on the Vizio's. I'm curious to know what the cost is for them to test a board with no problem and the cost to repair the problem board. If its worth my while I'll pickup a GV42L chassis for a test unit and see if I can beat those prices. I already have a VX37L test chassis.

Of course that's providing the boss doesn't mind or he wants to do it himself. Very Happy

I think someone posted a charge of $35.00 to test a board that was found to be good. I just bought a board for $100.00 plus shipping from the same place. Seems the same board on that model is the part that goes out continuosly. When referred to the National service by Vizio the high price they quote takes all that into consideration. But this place charges it seems less per board than most others. Especially if you are a novice like me.
zippityzack

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the text of the email I received from them:

billing is concerned, we accept Visa and MasterCard or we can ship COD.
If you plan to pay by debit or credit card, please do not include the
number; simply let us know that this is your preferred method of payment
and we will call you once the repair has been completed. Repair cost of
p/n 0500-0507-0340 [my power board] is $58.83 plus shipping. If the board turns out to be
in good, working condition we will charge a diagnostic fee of $35.00.
Repair cost of p/n 3647-0012-0150 [my main board] is $100.00 plus shipping. If the
board happens not to be bad, we will charge a diagnostic fee of $50.00.
As we do not have your main board in stock I can arrange to have UPS
pick it up, but you will have to ship your power supply yourself since
we do have those available.

So the price of repair is the same as a new board in each case. And if the board happens to be fine, it's a $35 diagnostic fee. Add in the ~$40 round trip shipping, and if the power board is fine and all I need is a main board, I'm looking at under $200 for a repaired tv with a relative amount of peace of mind.
rockhard

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: gv47lf Reply with quote

Hi everyone. and thanks everyone i got my brothers tv up and running again. it turns out in my brothers case it was just the 1.5A 1.5 Amp 125V Surface Mount NANO FUSE R45101.5 was dead. ordered 5 new ones just to be safe piggybacked it and tv once againg working. thanks
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I thought I would revive this thread a little. I am having trouble with a vizio gv47l power supply. I found a burned resistor on the board, but I'm having trouble identifying it. R847 is the location on board DPS-475AP rev S3. Would anyone be willing to pull out their power board to take a look at it? Or better yet get some readings on it?
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the power supply board a little more and found a similar resistor at R841. It is marked with three lines of print.
F1J
0.1 (omega symbol)
(some symbol) 607 or 6D7 not sure which one.

from what I can tell this is the same component used at R847. Can I just use any .1 ohm resistor to replace this one?

Also, does anyone have voltages for C820 and J20? Both lead to R847 and I suspect that one of them is the root of the problem. thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: