Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Proper Contrast Setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm250

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Proper Contrast Setting Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am having a real hard time in trying to figure out how to properly set contrast. After reading the calibration for dummies guide it says to set it by ftL depending on what type of display you have. It also states that if you don’t use the window pattern that you are not setting it correctly depending on what type of display you are trying to calibrate. So for a LED LCD tv what ftL value should I use. I also was told that you should not use the window patterns for this type of display? So are the full screen patterns the correct ones? The guide also says to use a 100ire pattern and adjust contrast down until the the x or red value reads .313 or stops dropping. Others tell you to use a test pattern and adjust contrast until you see the white turn to a shade of pink. Others say use another test pattern and adjust the contrast so that at least bar 234 is flashing or higher. So my question is what is the proper way to set contrast? I also have found that you can use the contrast control to bring the upper part of the gamma curve up or down were it needs to be. I’m sure that this is probably not the way to set contrast or calibrate your gray scale. When I get all done with the gray scale calibration the curves look good and so do the delta E values. Also the settings do improve my picture sharpness and clarity. But I still don’t feel that I have set contrast correctly.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any test pattern discs ?
ktm250

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Do you have any test pattern discs ?

Yes I have DVE HD Basics and AVSHD
ktm250

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one on this forum can help me with this. Hard to believe. I guess I will have to look else were.
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Contrast Setting Reply with quote

ktm250 wrote:
I am having a real hard time in trying to figure out how to properly set contrast. After reading the calibration for dummies guide it says to set it by ftL depending on what type of display you have. It also states that if you don’t use the window pattern that you are not setting it correctly depending on what type of display you are trying to calibrate. So for a LED LCD tv what ftL value should I use. I also was told that you should not use the window patterns for this type of display? So are the full screen patterns the correct ones? The guide also says to use a 100ire pattern and adjust contrast down until the the x or red value reads .313 or stops dropping. Others tell you to use a test pattern and adjust contrast until you see the white turn to a shade of pink. Others say use another test pattern and adjust the contrast so that at least bar 234 is flashing or higher. So my question is what is the proper way to set contrast? I also have found that you can use the contrast control to bring the upper part of the gamma curve up or down were it needs to be. I’m sure that this is probably not the way to set contrast or calibrate your gray scale. When I get all done with the gray scale calibration the curves look good and so do the delta E values. Also the settings do improve my picture sharpness and clarity. But I still don’t feel that I have set contrast correctly.

You have come across an issue in which there is not ONE specific method of setting contrast and that will vary depending on the type of display. What I would recommend as the simplest method and one which, from my experience, would best suit your monitor which is obviously digital and of recent vintage, is to secure a video calibration disc such as DVE(preferably Blu-Ray) in which you would bring up a FULL SCREEN 11 step gray scale pattern which will show equal sized bars going from peak white to black. Digital displays tend to not allow contrast(white level) to go beyond a certain point so what you will do is adjust your contrast level until the "second" brightest white bar blends with the brightest and then back off slightly until you can see a defined difference between the two. You can then set your black levels and all other color and gamma settings from there.

Always keep in mind that any changes in one type of setting will somewhat affect the other so if you really want to get picky, it will mean going back and forth until you are happy. It is also import to understand that "reference" settings may not look the best to your eye so in the end what looks good to you will be the final say in the picture you are looking at.
ktm250

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, thanks for the reply like I stated above I have a couple calibration disks. I will give your suggestion a shot.
Again Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: