Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

"Stretch marks" with Vutec Pearlbrite (Torus)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautikal

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: "Stretch marks" with Vutec Pearlbrite (Torus) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My torus screen is 96x54 with moderate curves (the center is a little over 6" inward). I built it using Vutec Pearlbrite 3.1 gain material from Jason Turk and have a 80mm fan sucking air out. Now that I have my projector setup, I notice vertical lines on the screen where the image is much brighter during lighter scenes. It almost looks like the material was stretched too much, yet without the fan there are still wrinkles. I don't think a 30cfm 80mm fan has the power to deform the screen material although it seems to be able to stretch it out. When I made the screen, I stretched it over the sides tightly and stapled it. 2 weeks later, the fan had sucked the material to the back of the frame so I had to turn off the fan and stretch out the new wrinkles. Now a few months later, without the fan there still even more wrinkles . It seems as if the material just keeps stretching; are the marks from the stretching? In other words do I need new screen material Sad? This material seemed to be popular among torus users when I purchased it so I'm trying to figure out why its not working out with my torus Confused . (btw i posted this at AVS as well)

DSCN0891.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.76 KB
 Viewed:  14340 Time(s)

DSCN0891.JPG

inverted.jpg
 Description:
Inverted so you can see the marks better.
 Filesize:  54.64 KB
 Viewed:  14340 Time(s)

inverted.jpg

bfeils

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar marks on draper m-2500 torus I built. I don't think it was form stretching. By the way you may want to consider putting in a speed control for your fan. If starts to stretch to much all you have do is turn down the fan instead of pulling your screen tighter. works great on mine. Very Happy
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this will help but my draper m1300 had wrinkles from how it was rolled after three days on the frame without improvment I grabbed my heat gun... all the wrinkles are now gone.
it is very easy to trash a screen doing this -overheating will change the sheen of the fabric if you are not keeping the gun moving.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Jesse S

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautikal-

I did a Screen Goo 1.8 gain screen of 96x54" and with my XG it seems a bit dim. I've seen the Pearlbrite with 9" crt's, how do you like it with the XG?

Also, what's the pricing like these days on the Pearlbrite? PM me if you think it's more appropriate.
nautikal

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse S wrote:
nautikal-

I did a Screen Goo 1.8 gain screen of 96x54" and with my XG it seems a bit dim. I've seen the Pearlbrite with 9" crt's, how do you like it with the XG?

Also, what's the pricing like these days on the Pearlbrite? PM me if you think it's more appropriate.

The stripes are quite annoying but can only be seen in bright scenes. You're doing a torus right? 3.1 gain won't work on a flat screen.

I think the material was 250-300$ for a 96x54" screen back in late 2005.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse S wrote:

I did a Screen Goo 1.8 gain screen of 96x54" and with my XG it seems a bit dim.

That is because it is not 1.8 gain. It is 1.0 gain. If it is just a little too dim for you, you could consider a true 1.2 or 1.3 gain screen. Heck, the Wilsonart laminate has more gain then the goo and it is cheap so you could try that first.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jesse S

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what gives you that idea. I had a 1.2 sample from Carada and it was about the same as my matte white gesso DIY screen. My Goo screen is significantly brighter than both of those. Also, I have the original formulation, not the later ~1.5 stuff.

Saying Goo is 1.0 gain is wrong and makes me wonder what your motives are.
Axatax

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G70Q (aka Barco Cine8 Onyx)

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a fairly large thread on AVS about stretchmarks with torus and PearlBrite. In short, it is a problem with this material.
ElviraJoy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: anti aging Reply with quote

Russian spamere I am I am. I can spam I am I am. Spam you tu? Boo hoo, boo hoo.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: anti aging Reply with quote

ElviraJoy wrote:
Hi. here are some info about anti-aging cream ingridients:

Ingredients to Avoid
* Dioxane: (a synthetic derivative of coconut). This substance is widely used in skincare products. It often contains high concentrations of 1,4-dioxane, which is readily absorbed through the skin. I know this sounds crazy, but 1,4-dioxane is considered a chemical "known to the State of California to cause cancer". To think people pay money to put this stuff on their skin unknowingly is downright scary.
* Fragrances.
* Parabens: methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl paraben.
* Alcohols: ethanol, ethyl alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol and SD alcohol.

Ingredients to Look For

* Collagen.
* Phytessence Wakame.
* Cynergy TK: This is a new exciting, cutting edge substance. Cynergy TK actually stimulates your own collagen to grow again. In fact, it is proven in clinical trials to stimulate not only the regrowth of collagen but also elastin, thereby promoting firmness and elasticity. In short, fewer wrinkles, and more youthful, healthier looking skin. It may help improve your skin's ability to retain its needed natural moisture.
Indeed, studies show a sustained 14% improvement in skin moisture retention over 18 days. Studies on Cynergy TK also show a sustained improvement in skin elasticity of 42% over 18 days.
* CoQ10: CoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant. A lot of skin damage and aging comes from free radicals wreaking havoc in our body's cells. CoQ10's antioxidant ability can counter these free radicals before damage occurs.

More detailed info you can see in my article

WTF are you talking about ?

Rolling Eyes
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some relatively-intelligent spammer robot. It searched for "stretch marks" and posted a come-on for anti-aging cream -- which would probably help stretch marks. Rolling Eyes
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny. When a bot ain't smart enough. Smile

Anyway, my Draper M1300 had imperfections in the material itself. Not stretch marks like in the posted picture, but just inconsistencies seen in the material. It was noticeable both with a uniform illumination (at various IRE) and also with content playing. I arranged through the reseller for Draper to drop-ship me another unit (returning the first one), but the problem persisted.

I just gave up on my expectations of getting a good screen for $4-500 and kept the second one.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a roll of pearlbright left over from the last torus. I don't remember it stretching as much as reported here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: