Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

[Cine 7 ] shaking image - HV instability
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
BTW, instability anywhere in the HV section can cause the quad to make that noise. Drove me nuts one day as I put 3 quads into a set trying to get rid of the noise and shaking, only to find it was the EHT board. Smile

DO NOT continue to run the set until you get that fixed, you can damage the quad if you keep running it.
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Don't listen to Gary on avs, he's an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about. Considering your HV stays up, and the set doesn't go into HV shutdown mode, my suspicion would far more be the electronics of the EHT (HV) section that is bad on the SMPS (power supply).

It could be the splitter or quadrupler, but I really doubt it.

I am out of 70X series quadruplers, and have a waiting list of 4 people wanting them, but have HV splitters. I don't have the late model Cine 7 SMPS, but the slightly older 708 SMPS will fit and work fine. Email me at curtpalme@shaw.ca and I'll get you pricing, etc.

I already thought I ran into Gary's name a few times on this forum.Smile

I send you an email.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you did, and it always surrounded him being an idiot. Very Happy
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
BTW, instability anywhere in the HV section can cause the quad to make that noise. Drove me nuts one day as I put 3 quads into a set trying to get rid of the noise and shaking, only to find it was the EHT board. Smile

DO NOT continue to run the set until you get that fixed, you can damage the quad if you keep running it.

Ah, missed this reply. Glad to hear that the noise could be the result of smething else going wrong. Not much post 1998 quadruplers arround these days. I won't fire my baby up until I got another smps. Thanks!
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How likely is it to be some bad solder joints on the smps? I know my way with a soldering iron.

And if I understand this correct, you can't use an pre 1998 quadrupler on a newer smps, but you can use a post 1998 quadrupler on a older smps?
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tiny update:

After some emails with Curt it seems that it's gonna be hard to get some parts. My Cine 7 is from february 2003 and uses newer parts. So exchanging parts with an older 708 won't work. Although I'm not 100% sure yet. Maybe there are some more people who could shine there light on the following:

The smps from a 'older' Cine 7 or 708 has the part number R762767. The smps from my Cine 7 has the part number R7627676. So there's an extra 6 on the end. What's the difference or isn't there any?

Would it be possible to swap the complete smps/eht/quadrupler section from an older Cine 7 or 708 with the section of my Cine 7?

Do I have more options?
roland@b4

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference with the later 708 and Cine 7 power supplies was the power factor correction (PFC auto 110/220 volts to you and me).
Baco changed the quadrupler spec to make it more reliable (not sure it worked) but I have not seen one in a Cine 7.
I have swapped the SMPS and Quad as a unit from a BD708 to a Cine 7 before with out issues. (but you do loose the auto voltage)
I'm not sure where you are in the world but being on line at 09:30 GMT makes my think Europe. (i'm in Reading UK)
I will not steal work from Curt expecially via his forum. but if he is out of stock and I can help let me know.
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roland@b4 wrote:
The main difference with the later 708 and Cine 7 power supplies was the power factor correction (PFC auto 110/220 volts to you and me).
Baco changed the quadrupler spec to make it more reliable (not sure it worked) but I have not seen one in a Cine 7.
I have swapped the SMPS and Quad as a unit from a BD708 to a Cine 7 before with out issues. (but you do loose the auto voltage)
I'm not sure where you are in the world but being on line at 09:30 GMT makes my think Europe. (i'm in Reading UK)
I will not steal work from Curt expecially via his forum. but if he is out of stock and I can help let me know.

Hi Roland. I already ran into some topics on different forums, where you posted. You're right. I'm from the Netherlands.

All help is appreciated. I also don't want to pass Curt of course. At this moment he is not sure if older SMPS will work. Loosing auto voltage isn't a problem as long as the set will work on 230V. If you can assure me that an older SMPS and Quad would work, I could take that in consideration. Financially speaking, I don't think there will be a big difference in total costs (shipping from the US or UK) of getting a working SMPS here.

It would be of great help if you're willing to share your thoughts about my Cine 7 problem.

I'm also in contact with forum member Arbey, from Belgium. He is willing to repair my SMPS if that's really the culprit. But if it's a difficult to find problem, the research costs could be high.
roland@b4

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the focus board cause some of these issues by messing with the focus voltage and it's feed back to the quad
open the back up and listen close to the focus /g2 block.
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened close, but I'm not really sure what I'm hearing. I think I'm just hearing the noise from the quadrupler, but it's hard to tell. So if there's coming some sound from the focus block it's barely noticeable.

ps. I also posted in my other topic on avsforum. But I think it's better to stay with one topic. so here's my reply on avsforum:

Quote:
Sorry, missed your reply because I'm used to see new replies on the bottom. I see you already replied in my topic on Curt's forum. Just to give you some more info:

I tried lowering contrast and brightness. Nothing changed. What do you mean by going to color select? Why to color select and not to another part of the menu? Or do you mean selecting one color at a time and check if it gets in and out of focus?

The problem exists with an external source, but also with the internal pattern or menu.

Tonight I will check if I can see some arcing.

And just for some extra information about myself. I have a bit knowledge of electronics. A few years ago I had a bunch of Electrohome ECP projectors and made three working projectors out of it. Solved the known focusproblems, etc. I know my with with a soldering iron. I also had a BV700 which I took completly apart, cleaned and put together again.
Now you have clue where my knowledge and skill level on CRT projectors is.Smile

Maybe I can check some voltages? I only have a simple multimeter. Got rid of my scope a few months ago because I didn't use it anymore.Sad
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, feel free to jump in here. I've never seen that late of a model Cine 7 or the quadrupler part number. Roland, if the older 708 SMPS will work, then I can sell him one for cheap. He sent me pictures of his SMPS, and I didn't think the older one would work.
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the picture of the SMPS:

Douma

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one of the quadrupler:

Douma

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After searching different forums and some email contact I came up with the following:

The SMPS with part number R7627676 from a newer model Cine 7 has PFC auto 110/240V. A perfect fit for me.
The SMPS with part number R762767 from an 708 and older model Cine 7 doesn't have PFC auto. Maybe a perfect fit, but without auto PFC.
The SMPS with part number R762446 is from a 708, according to Curt. According to the data sheet (see attachment) I have it's from a 701.

Hmmm, I'm a bit confused. The most important thing for me is: which SMPS would fit my Cine 7? And can I keep using the quadrupler of my Cine 7 or do I need an older model?

Barco_data.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Barco_data.xls
 Filesize:  202 KB
 Downloaded:  336 Time(s)

Douma

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I received an SMPS from an old 708. It fits perfectly, only the connection for the rear fans is missing. But that's not really a problem.

The big problem is that the SMPS isn't the culprit. Crying or Very sad The problem still exists.

Anyone who has got an idea about what's really the problem?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that you have arcing somewhere. It can really only be the quadrupler or the HV splitter. You'd need to swap those out to see which one it is. I have splitters in stock but not the quad.
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I am guessing that you have arcing somewhere. It can really only be the quadrupler or the HV splitter. You'd need to swap those out to see which one it is. I have splitters in stock but not the quad.

Didn't we rule out the splitter? by disconnecting the HV leads one at a time?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it could be internal arcing within the splitter. Only swapping will eliminate the splitter.
Douma

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. Can I use any splitter of the 70x and cine 7 serie?
mx83toy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did we end up going with this as ive just relised i got the same issue Sad i think mine an 03-04 hd145's and i think sony tubes (got the thick red cables going to the g2 board???? hope i can sort it Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: