Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marantz VP4001 with ~2500 hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CZ Eddie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Marantz VP4001 with ~2500 hours Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just got my i1 Display LT in. I haven't put my Lumagen HDP into the chain yet.

The digital projector (VP4001) has 2500 hours on the bulb, which desperately needs to be replaced. I'm using the wide open iris setting due to the medium & low not having enough light output anymore. But I'm going to wait until fall before I replace the bulb (when the good television shows come out).

I'm new to calibrating & sensors, btw. Still haven't figured most things out. But I wanted to show you my "before" graphs.

I'm getting a maximum of ~8.0 ft.lamberts at the screen, which is a DIY N8.0 paint formula. That stands for Neutral Grey. Discussed here if you're interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16968940#post16968940

Anyways, I haven't touched brighness or contrast settings or anything else. I did a complete reset on the projector. I then chose the "standard" display setting (choices being cinema, dynamic, etc). And these are my graphs.

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this just showing what the Marantz will do?

Why did you go with that paint instead of something like Black Widow?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/8862-black-widow-pfg-presentation-black-widow.html
CZ Eddie

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Kind of. I'm still the uber-beginner here with the software & meter. I'm really impressed with how well the projector performs with color & greyscale default settings and was looking for confirmation that this is pretty decent.

Or for someone to say "that sucks, you need to do this & this instead....". Razz

Spanky Ham wrote:

Why did you go with that paint instead of something like Black Widow?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/8862-black-widow-pfg-presentation-black-widow.html

I moved my DaLite High Power screen to another room to use with my CRT projector. And in a couple more months, I'll be buying another High Power for the digital projector when I buy it a new bulb for Fall TV season.
The N8.0 DIY formula only cost $25 and was super easy to apply. While this Black Widow or the other variants all look to be a pita to apply & get stuff for and cost more than I want to spend on a temporary DIY solution.

I'm pissed that I forgot about a High Power ebay auction last night for a 106" widescreen that ended for $125 shipped. Evil or Very Mad

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool. It looks like it needs a little work.

Yeah, the screen thing can get complicated. I think Bill and the Shack crew really like the Black Widow.

I wouldn't worry about the ebay auction, as more will come along. Hell, I am fighting with Paypal right now over a supposed lost $768. They say I will get it back.
mechman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZ Eddie wrote:
I moved my DaLite High Power screen to another room to use with my CRT projector. And in a couple more months, I'll be buying another High Power for the digital projector when I buy it a new bulb for Fall TV season.
The N8.0 DIY formula only cost $25 and was super easy to apply. While this Black Widow or the other variants all look to be a pita to apply & get stuff for and cost more than I want to spend on a temporary DIY solution.

Black Widow™ is not a pita. I should know since I'm one of the creators. Wink It's only made out that way at avs. It's very simple to apply. Now the stuff that Roland and company push at avs... those are a pita! Very Happy

BW™ is no different than applying your N8. I'd like to commend you though for using an N8. Most folks at avs' diy screens are sucked into the mica/polyurethane black hole. It's too bad that folks there cannot make an educated decision. Sad
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, mech! AVS stands for AVSales and usually the loudest person with the most volume of posts has the most credibility. It is unfortunate, but true.
mechman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Spanky! Amen! lol! Laughing Most of the serious folks avoid the controversy and go elsewhere.
mechman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie - Out of the box standard mode looks pretty good! Wink I'm trying to talk my neighbor into one of these Marantz pjs. I'd try to get a few more fLs out of it if you could. You should probably be there after getting a new bulb and adjusting your white/black levels.
CZ Eddie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks guys.

I missed out on a 20 hour Marantz VP8600 that sold for $350 in craigslist a few days ago. That would have been a sweet digital to play around with.

I am not sure I'll try another painted DIY screen. I've never been 100% satisifed with any of the various ones I've tried over the years. I always end up being able to occasionally see the screen surface and it's distracting to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: