Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Continued Blending of the Longbow's & Now 9 " Swap!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_COW_IS_OK

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
While waiting for a real 1080 desktop text screenshot, I tried to simulate a blend at home by outputting a res of 1280x1024. I gain horizontal res. but.... I did my best optimizing for left side focus/astig. And it seems the center can reach higher sharpness. Not surprising since its the lense sweet spot.
I can only imagine the side of my current screen becoming the middle of the new blend where eye accuity is most. That not accounting for a blending alignment with additional 3 points to converge for a total of 6 colors @ center.

In a tripple blend, the screen center will be at middle projector lense center with blending zone away from it. so all issues resolved except for additional PJ Very Happy.

Anyways a screenshot from you Athanasios will be worth a thousand predictions Smile
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ie screenshot

width 2.5mtr
1920*1080 72hz
powerstrip
jantje112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear on the tube?
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope camera does that.
at zoekinstellingen (topright) you see the wear.
they used a small raster.

THE_COW_IS_OK

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:

ie screenshot

width 2.5mtr
1920*1080 72hz
powerstrip

Tkx!
Are these 2 Marquees blended at center?
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice focus. You can read the text all the way to the edges. Very impressive.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_COW_IS_OK wrote:
dvh99 wrote:

ie screenshot

width 2.5mtr
1920*1080 72hz
powerstrip

Tkx!
Are these 2 Marquees blended at center?

No, I don't know why he posted that shot?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked for a text Shot of a desktop from older pics but could not find one but i did have this.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry thought the guy who asked thought he might need 2 pjs for a readable desktop
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought id post some screen shots of my latest attempt. i am convinced no that with perfect color calibration
a seamless blend is possible even with the slight issues of these units. Most of the troubles I believe are my lack
of patients in doing a better matching of the two Pj's. I still have not mastered that aspect yet but I am getting
closer and closer. A pro calibrating both to match is the best bet. But for now funds are tight and this is dome with
an Eye One display 2 and then touched up by eye. The Probe is off and I had to get whites corrected by eye.

Enjoy.....

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just peed myself a little! Laughing WOW! Thumbs Up

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
I think I just peed myself a little! Laughing WOW! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the WOW Greg Its what I say each time i get closer to the final set up. I have been watching movies a lot lately.

I was almost going to take her down and go with a single 9500 and sell off the longbows. But with Bobs help and my tenacity
to push on I will get this nailed!!!

I set up the 9500LC i have on the floor last week for a few movies and realized an 8 inch blend blows away the single
9 inch. Even if stacked brightness is not the issue, clarity is what its all about and that film like image.

I think this week i will work on using the Contrast modulation as right now i am not using it. but i need to first get a little closer in matching up the IRE's. With a probe that I think is flaky and the D2 probe that is not 100% either its difficult to say weather or not i can trust the reading i am getting. But getting the xyY values as close as possible for 30 and 80 IRE on each pj got me that much closer. If I use the CMS in the lumagens to match each IRE i think that will help enormously.

I know having a pro do the set up would make this a done deal, but where is the fun in that? Wink

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know having a pro do the set up would make this a done deal, but where is the fun in that?

Besides missing out on all the fun, as often as you are upgrading your projectors, you will need to be constantly making corrections after changes!

Bob
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those pics look like crap just sell me the longbows....
just kidding those pics are amazing, i want a blend too.
when i have gathered some money i will buy 2 bg808s from curt and do a blend with the pc.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boilermaker wrote:
Quote:
I know having a pro do the set up would make this a done deal, but where is the fun in that?

Besides missing out on all the fun, as often as you are upgrading your projectors, you will need to be constantly making corrections after changes!

Bob

The funny thing is Bob is i have not really done anything to these longbows except for the adding of ferrite to the astig amp cables and re-caped only one astig amp. Oh and put color filtered HD-145's to replace the stock Clear ones.

So it is bone Stock, I do not want to do any of that till i master the art of setting up a blend. So many variables with the color management aspect of it. i have been reading as much as possible about color and light and how they interact . And with a CRT it gets more complicated since both Pj even if they are new still have differences in how they adjust the RGB G2 and drives electronically. and that is where a very precise probe is needed, one that does not fluctuate. I also realize that using HCFR is better than Calman for initial set up, its much faster program and very very good for being free. then i check it on some IRE's with calman and they both are with in the .00xx reading levels.

Since i have some peoples attention here i tried to use the i1 Pro facing the screen as well using the offset function and the diffusor. Doing it this way is suppose to get more light into the probe and make readings more accurate. well i actually got lower Y values. those should have went up. i did the same with the Eye one D2 you sent me and that did as expected i got a higher Y value facing the PJ than the screen where with the i1 Pro it was opposite. And yes i changed the setting in Calman from facing screen to facing PJ.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashou if you are going to continue to use the blend does that mean you are selling the 9500?
is that an ultra?

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
nashou if you are going to continue to use the blend does that mean you are selling the 9500?
is that an ultra?

Nope. I am keeping it for the housings. i am eventually going to convert the Longbows to 9 inch sets.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only imagine what it would look like once you convert those to 9500s. Very impressive Athanasios!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
I can only imagine what it would look like once you convert those
to 9500s. Very impressive Athanasios!

Thanks Paul, it has been a lot of work but an even bigger learning experience. Thank
God I am single or this would never have even started Wink I think the only advantage
that going to a 9 inch set would do for a blend is add brightness, or I could try a 1600p
resolution to double up on the 800p which is the viewable portion of the BD movies.
I think it would definitely fall into the resolution capabilities of the tube since your using
the entire hight of the tube, they say its greater than 1536 horizontal resolution for the
whole tube and if 1080p fits in that small portion i think the rest of the tube will be able
to handle 1600 or at least get close. I should try it on the 8 inch tubes for fun Wink i think
I'd have to lower the 72hz refresh rate for sure .

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could try a 1600p
resolution to double up on the 800p which is the viewable portion of the BD movies.

Yes, the thought of that gets me excited! While I have no doubt that a 9" could physically handle the resolution, we would once again be up against the video bandwidth issue. I am convinced that the almost unbelievable sharpness we are getting in our blends is due to the huge reduction in video frequency of the 1064X800 @72. It is less than 1/2 the requirements of normal 1080P @60! Another value that should work well is 1064X1200 @72. Probably would be better.

Quote:
I set up the 9500LC i have on the floor last week for a few movies and realized an 8 inch blend blows away the single
9 inch. Even if stacked brightness is not the issue, clarity is what its all about and that film like image.

I have noticed the same thing. I have a 10PG also and while I used to think the picture was top notch, it absolutely pales in comparison.

As to your sensor problems, I don't have the faintest idea of what it could be. Why dont you just run a quick grayscale and post the results. Maybe some of the calibrator guru's can spot something.

I had an advantage - I never looked at the screen! I was too busy running two applications on my little laptop at the same time, so I never looked at the screen until I was finished.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22
Jump to: